PDA

View Full Version : First time at OKW

Crow
05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
out of all of my trips this will be my first stay at OKW next month. the only time I have been there was when I took a bus from the parks and the boat to DD.
Ill be staying in a studio with military discount
Ive heard Olivias is good. any tips, locations, thoughts,:beer::marg:

Mickey'sGirl
05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
OKW is my second favourite DVC resort, and my third favourite overall. I love the big rooms and I really feel like I am away on holiday when I stay there. Olivia's is a great little restaurant ... My DH and my youngest son (both of whom LOVE breakfast) will often sneak away to Olivia's for a nice breakfast while I attempt to get my older son going for the day.

There are two things I really don't like at OKW though:
1 - The Quick Service "stall" is pretty horrible. I think it's preferable to grab and go at the general store.
2 - The other thing is that I have encountered snakes on three occasions (near the main pool each time). I really really hate snakes. They completely freak me out and even now as I'm typing this, I feel my plams getting all sweaty. So, I prefer an upper level floor, because I figure a snake would have a hard time getting into my room on an upper floor. :blush: I could be wrong, but it helps me to sleep.

We prefer to be near the hospitality house, but we have also been back at Turtle Pond, and we really liked it there too.

Maleficent's Dad
05-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Ive heard Olivias is good. any tips, locations, thoughts,:beer::marg:
Olivia's is a nice, "safe" place to eat.
The resort is pretty spread out, so if that's a concern, request to be near the HH. We really like buildings #23-26. But ever since DVC added the new "HH" category, they're harder to get.

If you golf, you're close to LBV Golf (at SSR). You can walk to DTD - the path is down by building #55 - I enjoyed the walk, but I know some think it's a bit long. The boat to DTD is nice.

As for cocktails...
DTD is close - a few places have happy hour there nightly - House of Blues has the best happy hour; the outside place at Raglan Road also has a decent discount.
At OKW, there is a small bar - with some character, mind you - called the Gurgling Suitcase. They're fine for regular drinks - they do have some specialties not available elsewhere - like the Turtle Krawl. I like the joint, but it is tiny.

Most of the rest you can figure out - it's a nice place. Just look at a map of the resort. Some think it's too large to walk, but we haven't found that the case. We've stayed down at South Point and still didn't find the walk as "brutal" as some describe...

Crow
05-14-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't mind it being spread out. Ive stayed at most of the Disney resorts so that doesn't bother me. I do like the boat to DD, used it once there and a few times from PO. got a few favs at DD like RR & Paradiso so ill be using that. and I eat in the parks mostly so the quick service wont b a concern
snakes prob would have a harder time getting to the upper floors...