PDA

View Full Version : Fundraisers?

Janmac
05-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Every year my sister's granddaughter's karate team raises money for their travel expenses to nationals in the fall. They need at least a round trip plane ticket to Miami from St. Louis per kid and the team has 7 kids altho not all qualify for nationals every year.

One of their main money making events - a big yard sale - fizzled this spring due to the unseasonably cold weather.

So we're exploring options. Selling stuff door to door is off the table. Anybody have any suggestions? Something that's worked for your group?

And second part of the question: how do you feel about fundraising in general? I personally would rather just donate what I'm comfortable with and not worry about receiving something in return. If I don't think it's a good cause, I can always just hang on to my money.

Jan

TheDuckRocks
05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I hate fundraisers for children's activities! I'd rather foot the bill myself or gift a child with money to go towards the activity.
That said we went out to dinner a couple of nights ago and a fundraiser was being held for the local high school's junior class for funds for the prom. These kids politely greeted you at the door, stated what they where doing by giving you a flyer and thanking you for your help. The flyer stated that the restaurant was donating 10% of all sales if you dropped the part from the bill with your total in the box at the door when you left. (The part they give you before you hand over any money or credit card that you usually discard anyway.) Usually this restaurant like many others is not very busy on Tuesday nights and there were a lot of people, that have to eat dinner anyway, there that were obviously there to support their kids. Needless to say we were happy to toss that little piece of paper in the box for them.
BTW - the restaurant was Glory Days. I know a number of other chain restaurants will do the same.

PirateLover
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
A lot of restaurants and stores offer similar deals. I know around here schools often have community nights at Chik Fil A and Applebees... you get a portion of the proceeds for that particular night.

I'm not a fan of fundraising either. I had to do it a lot when I taught 8th grade. One year parents voted just to pay a fee to cover the cost of the 8th grade trip to NYC and the graduation fees, but then families with less money complained and there was a lot of brew ha ha. One year we had to do so many fundraisers... Candy sales, raffles, 50/50s, Joe Corbi's Pizzas, Car wash, Quizzo night, some of the parents even took kids out to corners to do coin drops (Which I really despise because of the potential danger). I think Modell's also had some kind of deal similar to the restaurants. It never ended. Good luck!

NewDVCowner
05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
At least in my area there are a lot of locally owned restaurants that will be happy to do a fundraiser night with local community groups. Other things that I know about a car washes (a weekend doesn't go by that one group or another isn't doing a car wash at a gas station) or silent auctions. Again, a lot of local businesses donate items for silent auctions.

Janmac
05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks so much for the restaurant tip! I can't remember hearing about that before.

Car washes seem to be every weekend around here too. A widespread fundraiser is the can at the cash register. :(

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Jan

princessgirls
05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I always think that kids who fund raise, is always a good thing. I wholly support them, because I think it teaches them some good life lessons.
The value of hard work to obtain your goals, the value of a dollar.

Flower sales, hoagie sale, bake sales at the Karate studio are good.

Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:

PirateLover
05-14-2014, 09:07 AM
I always think that kids who fund raise, is always a good thing. I wholly support them, because I think it teaches them some good life lessons.
The value of hard work to obtain your goals, the value of a dollar.

Flower sales, hoagie sale, bake sales at the Karate studio are good.

Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:
I agree, but the problem comes in when you have parents who end up doing the fundraising when it's something like selling candy bars. It's become dangerous to go door to door, so mom and dad just bring it into work or beg people on facebook to buy whatever it is their kid is selling. Events are the best way to get the kids involved, too.

Janmac
05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
When the dojo had two locations, one was much better for the bake sales kind of thing, with good parking on a well known road. That location had to close due to a landlord who would not keep his building up to code. The second, smaller location has no parking, is on an unheard of side street and is in a way less affluent part of town.

On the plus side, the inside of the second location, a 100+ year old church building, has been beautifully remodeled, all volunteer by students and parents, with sliding screens, invisible storage, gleaming wood floor - looks very Japanese.

There's no shortage of students willing to work, just need fresh ideas. Thanks to folks here, we've got some. :thumbsup:

Jan