PDA

View Full Version : Ticket options for more than 10 days

MargaretMessler
05-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I am just doing some research in advance of a trip next year. Packaging thru the WDW website, whether I choose a 10 day trip or an 11day trip, the system only offers a 10 day ticket as the longest option. Is this because an annual pass would be cheaper in this circumstance?

How difficult is it to purchase an AP and then get it all linked into the whole MDE thing in order to coordinate plans, FP+, etc.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-07-2014, 12:46 PM
As long as you have a resort reservation made for a Disney hotel, having an AP would be no different than having a regular 10-day ticket in terms of ease of managing the AP together with other people's FPs etc..

Your situation has a lot of variables that would determine whether an AP would be your best bet. A few questions that would aid in crunching the numbers are:

Are you doing any Water Parks? If so, how often?

Are you intending to visit one of the four "core" parks each of your 11 days?

Do you plan on purchasing the Park Hopper option even if you do not get an AP?

Instead of gaming out all of the possible combinations of answers I will wait until I know this information to post further, but my guess is that a 10-day pass would be far cheaper than buying an AP just to get "day 11". Even a quick ballpark of buying a 10-day Park Hopper AND a 1-day NON Hopper ticket is cheaper ($546.35) than a regular AP ($675.21)

MargaretMessler
05-07-2014, 05:57 PM
As long as you have a resort reservation made for a Disney hotel, having an AP would be no different than having a regular 10-day ticket in terms of ease of managing the AP together with other people's FPs etc..

Your situation has a lot of variables that would determine whether an AP would be your best bet. A few questions that would aid in crunching the numbers are:

Are you doing any Water Parks? If so, how often?

Are you intending to visit one of the four "core" parks each of your 11 days?

Do you plan on purchasing the Park Hopper option even if you do not get an AP?

Instead of gaming out all of the possible combinations of answers I will wait until I know this information to post further, but my guess is that a 10-day pass would be far cheaper than buying an AP just to get "day 11". Even a quick ballpark of buying a 10-day Park Hopper AND a 1-day NON Hopper ticket is cheaper ($546.35) than a regular AP ($675.21)

Probably no water parks. More than likely we would find ourselves in a park at least for a little while each day. Definitely getting park hopper regardless.

I looked up the current AP rates, and they were way more than adding an additional day. I was just confused on why the reservation system would not list 11 days as an option. Also, it looks like adding an 11th day (following the pattern of the per-day price going down with number of days) would only end up being another $10 or so (difference between 9 and 10).

We are also doing Universal, so not a big deal not to have the full "length of stay".

VWL Mom
05-07-2014, 07:09 PM
The reason it's not giving the option is because the longest ticket they have is the 10 day. You would need to purchase another ticket for the extra day(s). It use to be that if you were staying more than 10 days an AP would be they way to go. Now it's looking like 12 days is the break-even point.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
...I was just confused on why the reservation system would not list 11 days as an option. Also, it looks like adding an 11th day (following the pattern of the per-day price going down with number of days) would only end up being another $10 or so (difference between 9 and 10).

The reason there is no 11-day ticket listed is because there is no such thing (at least for US residents there is no such thing).

The only way to get a "day 11" ticket is to buy a 10-day pass AND ALSO a 1-day pass. Because of this, the "$10 more per extra day" pattern doesn't hold true after day 10, and buying a one-day ticket will cost you at least $100.11 more per adult ($93.72 per child).

...We are also doing Universal, so not a big deal not to have the full "length of stay".

If you are staying on site 11 days and going to Universal for one or more of those 11 days, you will likely decide to skip one day of WDW parks, doing so will save you over $100.00 per adult!

***all prices include tax

MargaretMessler
05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks all for your responses. I guess I just didn't realize there was a limit on how many days you could buy as one ticket. And since I have never before had the option of going for that long...

hauntedmansiongirl
05-08-2014, 05:45 AM
We always go for longer- usually 10-14 days. We always buy the waterpark fun & more option. It's not much more- actually visiting one water park on one day pretty much covers the cost. Then you can spend one morning mini-golfing, that afternoon at a water park and an evening at Disney Quest. You won't miss not being in a big park that day. With a 10day ticket you can 10 extra options, so it is well worth the money! And you can go back to another water park or back to Disney Quest later on if you want.

Have a wonderful trip! :mickey:

etibbetts
05-08-2014, 12:06 PM
We do the same as HauntedMansionGirl, we go for 14 nights, buy 10 day tickets w/ the water park option. We don't go to the parks on arrival or departure days and then pick 3 days to be non-park days during our trip. On those days we go to the water park during the day and typically downtown disney in the evening. Those are some of our favorite days and since we already have ten full days in the parks, we don't feel like we are missing out at all.

TheHD
05-08-2014, 02:42 PM
We had a 13-day trip once and spent our 11th full day visiting several resorts that we had not visited before. It was very fun and relaxing.

BadBoyBill
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Another option if finances permit is to buy a 10 day PH ticket and a second 10 day PH ticket with Water Parks and more and add No Expiration to that ticket. That way you pay way less for your 11th. day and have 9 more for future use plus 10 "fun visits" to Water Parks, Mini Golf... That also never expire.

yankeesfan123
05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
I think they got rid of the no expiration option...?

Edit: maybe it's just for purchases made online through their website? I'm seeing I constant news online

Goofy4TheWorld
05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Another option if finances permit is to buy a 10 day PH ticket and a second 10 day PH ticket with Water Parks and more and add No Expiration to that ticket. That way you pay way less for your 11th. day and have 9 more for future use plus 10 "fun visits" to Water Parks, Mini Golf... That also never expire.

While I have always wanted to buy up some 10-day Non-Expiring PH WP&M tickets in order to get some water park entries paid for and not have to get the WP&M option in the future (or even worse a Premium AP), the cost always scared me away.

Buying a 10 PH WP&M "No Expiration" pass will cost $830.70 with tax! :spend:

For the OP to buy both a 10-day PH with expiration and one without expiration would run $1,271.61 per adult!! :sick:

Goofy4TheWorld
05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
I think they got rid of the no expiration option...?

You can't buy it online directly from Disney's website. You can still buy it from online ticket vendors such at the OTC, and you can also buy it in person at WDW, but they don't even put the no-expiration option on the sign or on the ticket literature anymore. I assume that this option will likely be axed in the coming years.

BadBoyBill
05-10-2014, 01:48 PM
You can still buy it but you can find it cheaper through licensed ticket brokers. It still saves you about $20 a day.

LVT
06-06-2014, 12:02 PM
We get annoyed with that too. We like 13-16 days and end up with 2x 7 day hopper tickets with 1 having the "options". AP would have to be the Premium one to get the "options". There really is not anything for the US population that comes for a longer trip, or those who come every few years. Annual is out for us due to "options", we like the mini-golf, waterparks and disneyquest.