PDA

View Full Version : Any place for sugar free slushies??

PETE FROM NYC
04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
There are 3 of us this Sept. All diabetic.

Is there anyplace on or off property where we can buy sugar-free slushies ??

Arielfan98
04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Don't recall Disney selling slushies to begin with....but I'd recommend looking up a 7 Eleven nearby.

Spartan_Jeff
04-27-2014, 09:00 PM
While Disney does sell slushies in many places, I don't remember seeing sugar free varieties. Several places do make frozen drinks made from Tea, those may be sugar free.

Melanie
04-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't recall Disney selling slushies to begin with....but I'd recommend looking up a 7 Eleven nearby.

They do have the Goofy Glaciers at Goofy's Candy Co. in DTD, but I don't recall if there were sugar free options there. We did see sugar free Mickey lollipops though.

Arielfan98
04-27-2014, 10:20 PM
They do have the Goofy Glaciers at Goofy's Candy Co. in DTD, but I don't recall if there were sugar free options there. We did see sugar free Mickey lollipops though.

Bingo! I looked up Goofy Glaciers and found a blogger who said they did have "sugar free items" but she did not specify whether it was the slushies and recommended you ask a cast member. Second, I did more research and found that if you venture to Gaston's Tavern in MK, they offer a slushie-like drink called "Lefou's Brew" which isn't exactly sugar free but it includes no sugar added apple juice, with just a hint of Marshmallow Syrup, and topped with a Mango-Passionfruit Foam. And third, following my "7 Eleven" idea, I found one nearby, only a 3 minute drive from WDW. They offer a sugar free mango slurpee (slushie). Their address is: 12298 S Apopka Vineland Rd (at County Rd 535), Orlando, FL 32836

BrerGnat
04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
The LeFou's brew tastes like pure sugar. Even though the apple juice is "no sugar added", that is very different from "sugar free." The marshmallow syrup they use is also pure sugar. This would not be an acceptable slushie substitute for a diabetic.

Sugar free slushies are going to be hard to find in the parks.

dpamac
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Also a diabetic, pump user, carb counter. Also a slushee lover. The last time I checked, but these things change all the time, I couldn't find any. If Goofy's Glaciers does have them they are not always available. Goofy's Candy Company does have sugar free candy but, if you've been diabetic for any length of time, you know that most of those candies cause more gastrointestinal problems than they are worth. Frankly, I've given up on the dream...Heck, we discovered that the cappuccino place in the Poly didn't have sugar-free syrups. That seemed crazy.

Like Arielfan98 said, 7-11 does have sugar free stuff, if you need a hit. They generally have a cola one, in addition to the mango.

DKA041177
05-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Diabetic here also! I know it is tough, but disney is much better now. Just ask a cast member for help!

mini
05-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Not a slushy but the ice cream shop on main street has a no sugar added raspberry sorbet that is really good. Don't know how close you have to watch but DH and I share a single scoop (its huge) once in a while if we are craving a cool treat.
With all the soda and frozen lemonade they have you would think they could offer more than just diet coke.There are plenty of us that would like a choice.

PETE FROM NYC
05-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Not a slushy but the ice cream shop on main street has a no sugar added raspberry sorbet that is really good. Don't know how close you have to watch but DH and I share a single scoop (its huge) once in a while if we are craving a cool treat.
With all the soda and frozen lemonade they have you would think they could offer more than just diet coke.There are plenty of us that would like a choice.

I have had the sorbet, and it ain't bad. But, I have so many dietary restrictions: limited caffeine, no sugar, no potassium due to kidney problems,. Besides, I hate diet coke, and am sick of that being the only option at most places, both in and out of WDW. At least, last trip,I was able to find Sprite Zero at a few places.

dpamac
05-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I have had the sorbet, and it ain't bad. But, I have so many dietary restrictions: limited caffeine, no sugar, no potassium due to kidney problems,. Besides, I hate diet coke, and am sick of that being the only option at most places, both in and out of WDW. At least, last trip,I was able to find Sprite Zero at a few places.

You know, that is one of the most annoying things, is not just the limited options but the sameness of the limited options. I too hate Diet Coke.

And, yes, asking CMs is always good. Most WDW restaurants do offer no-sugar-added versions of things, you just have to ask (or email [email protected] and you can get more info, but in the past they haven't been that helpful with details). However, for any diabetic it is important to remember that "no sugar added" doesn't always mean "much lower in carbohydrates" and can often mean "has something substituted to replace the sugar and it helps to know what," especially if you have other dietary restrictions.

But the thing is no matter where you go and what you get it's going to be really difficult to get a carb count on something, which if you are pumping, on a sliding scale or your doctor has you carefully monitoring your intake for your glucose levels, you will have a hard time finding them. Being on the pump with a continuous glucose monitor I can estimate and quickly adjust if I see a rapid rise, but it's not easy.