PDA

View Full Version : FP+ Strategy and Tips

Melanie
04-24-2014, 10:16 AM
As more folks are experiencing FP+ for themselves, we'd all love to hear what you've discovered as the best way to utilize FP+. We want to hear strategies for as many scenarios as possible, including advance planning and day of, AP holders and once a year trips, etc. We should also take into account what Disney has announced WILL happen with the ability to get more than 3 FP+ a day and park hop.

Let's keep this on the positive side regarding FP+ (I know, I'm one to talk :blush: ), as a way to help others in their planning.

Disneylovescompany
04-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I think it will be different based on multiple factors: How often do you go? Are you on or off property? Are you a planner or spontaneous? Morning person or night person? What do you want to accomplish?

My 14yo daughter and I went down for a 3 days weekend a couple of weeks ago mainly to see the F&G and to check out the new FP+ System. Keeping in mind we are AP holders who go pretty regularly and dont always stay on property because we plan well in advance, these are the impressions we took away from it:

The new FP+ makes it much more relaxed for those who know what they want to do, plan it in advance, and like to spend other time exploring and doing new things. IT was efficient, easy, and we had a blast even as the parks got busy because we werent worried about whether or not we would get to do some things.

The changes we felt were needed have now been announced and will be implemented in the next couple of weeks, which makes it even better.

For all the complaining we read on sites and heard, we reserved any opinion until we had actually used it because everyone always dislikes change. What we found was all the complaining is unfounded and if you do research or ask for help ( call WDW and they are very helpful) its not bad at all. In fact we believe its better.

Melanie
04-25-2014, 07:41 AM
As the previous poster mentioned, the new changes are now being incorporated starting on Monday. Great news!

Now, give us your strategies!

Katzateer
04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Most of the FP+ I have for my trip in a week (!) are for later in the day. So I don't know if I want to go back and change my time choices. If I get FP for the morning at one park, I wonder if when I park hop, if anything will be left for afternoon FP at another park later in the day. Will be interesting to see if the new FP option works out.

I think I will just leave my Toy Story Mania FP alone and not change the time. Afraid I won't get to ride at all!

Nice to see more options are available and Disney is listening to complaints about new system.

Disneylovescompany
04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Here is how we approached it. We stayed off property so we avoidded EMH parks.
Did a park early in the AM ( no need for FP) then used FPs for mid day. Now the beauty is moving forward we will be able to get more FPs after the initials are used. I would NEVER use a fp for parades or fireworks so we dont waste time there. The only non ride I will use it for and have already booked for our trip Memorial day, is Ann/Elsa. Outside of that the changes will make it easier to use and manage. Just takes some planning up front.

azcavalier
04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Here is how we approached it. We stayed off property so we avoidded EMH parks.
Did a park early in the AM ( no need for FP) then used FPs for mid day. Now the beauty is moving forward we will be able to get more FPs after the initials are used. I would NEVER use a fp for parades or fireworks so we dont waste time there.

We haven't been able to use the system yet, but will be in May. This is exactly how we plan to tackle it. Go to a non-EMH morning park and be there before it opens, then ride the headliners early and not bother with any FPs. We will have used our FPs to reserve headliners in a second park that we will go to in the evening.

Mitzie
04-25-2014, 10:36 AM
We haven't been able to use the system yet, but will be in May. This is exactly how we plan to tackle it. Go to a non-EMH morning park and be there before it opens, then ride the headliners early and not bother with any FPs. We will have used our FPs to reserve headliners in a second park that we will go to in the evening.

We now have 3 trips under our belts using FP+. These last two we worked it like above and it was great. Got into one park at opening and rode everything we wanted. FP+ we booked for in the afternoon when crowds and lines are higher. For our family with 3 teens, they can then stay up late at MK and hit those biggies when the crowds have died down. With the new changes it will be even easier to get FP+ for those evenings. I like to plan and this floats my boat. Only complaint is the tiers. In October we were able to book Soaring and Test Track FP's..not they are in the same tier and you have to choose. Perhaps with the new system this can be fixed.

Disneylovescompany
04-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Per several discussions with cms, one in management, the tier system is in place for the parks where there were not a ton of attractions in order to ensure ap holders would have access to top tier attractions if they stay off property in mk it isn't an issue because the fps get spread amongst multiple attractions

yankeesfan123
04-25-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't think you needed management to tell you that!

I'm still surprised that Beauty and the Beast is too tier but ToT isn't...

My only guess is that the number crunches decided only 2 "real" choices were needed (Soarin and TT for Epcot and TSM and RNRR for HS) in order to spread out the FP.

AgentC
04-26-2014, 07:25 AM
I might think of more tips later but my first one is that the system is more flexible than you think.

Remember that not everyone has to do the same rides. You can pick different experiences for different party members.

Also changing FP+ is pretty easy. We were there one day and I changed a time 3 times one day. Obviously that is going to be harder with something like Soarin, Test Track or Toy Story where the rides book up fast but the same problem existed before once they stopped letting people come back whenever they want.

I've also changed the ride to a different ride without a problem.

My second is obvious once you've used it but I know it is confusing the first time you try it. The app/website is going to pick times for you and it never seems to be ideal. It gives you 4 options. Pick them one that is closest to what you want and then go in an tweak each FP individually. Lots more times open up when you go into the change time option.

beksy
04-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Great posts...we are planning our first trip using this system so I'm learning a lot of tips here :mickey:

Septbride2002
04-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I just wrote a long Pre-Trip Report in regards to my Fast Pass + planning before discovering this thread.

I will say that it was easier then I thought as long as I was using a laptop or a tablet. Every time I tried to do it through the actual Android App I ran into an issue. This concerns me for the actual trip as I don't want to spend tons of time at Guest Services.

For those of you looking for Anna and Elsa fastpasses - I discovered that if you try to book more then 2 at a time that the system will tell you there is only stand by available. So if you are a family of 4 you will have to book the fast passes 1 for Parent 1, kid 1 and then another one Parent 2, Kid 2. You will have to try and get the times to over lap unless you want to have to come back later in the day.

yankeesfan123
04-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I just wrote a long Pre-Trip Report in regards to my Fast Pass + planning before discovering this thread.

I will say that it was easier then I thought as long as I was using a laptop or a tablet. Every time I tried to do it through the actual Android App I ran into an issue. This concerns me for the actual trip as I don't want to spend tons of time at Guest Services.

For those of you looking for Anna and Elsa fastpasses - I discovered that if you try to book more then 2 at a time that the system will tell you there is only stand by available. So if you are a family of 4 you will have to book the fast passes 1 for Parent 1, kid 1 and then another one Parent 2, Kid 2. You will have to try and get the times to over lap unless you want to have to come back later in the day.

That's strange, and unfortunate, but it kind if sounds more like a glitch or system error than the rule. But, I could be wrong!

I'd just recommend a family of 4 still trying to get them all together, first, before trying that strategy. But, it's a good solution if there is an issue!

Snow's Mom
05-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Reading your comments above...maybe I'm wrong, but are you saying I could actually sleep in while on vacation and still enjoy several attractions with FP+?

A Disney vacation that actually feels like...a vacation? Sounds too good to be true! :thumbsup:

Gregandmel
05-04-2014, 07:05 AM
We probably won't be back for a Disney trip until sometime next Fall - postponed a visit to Disney this year until everything was lined up and working on the FP stuff. I plan WAY ahead of time and my planning period was right in the middle of all the chaos as they worked through the process.

But - that being said -in my head I plan on doing some of the same things already posted. We hit the parks as soon as it opens (usually at the gates30-45 minutes before opening) so we would do all the headlines one after another before it gets packed. Our FP's would be for later in the day. We don't typically park hop but if we DO - we'll do headlines in the afternoon / early evening for another park. I'll continue to read about experiences in order to make some good decisions. :)

DisneyGiant
05-04-2014, 10:45 PM
All of this advice is great - hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have.

You can reserve FastPass Plus 60 days out if you're staying at a resort right?

Question1: Do I have to do this for each day of our trip - or can I start at 60 days as of Day 1 - and book the rest of the fastpasses for the remainder of our stay on the same day?

Question 2: There are 6 of us - I was planning on booking the same three FPs a day for all 6 of us - then, if anyone changes their minds when we get there - I thought we'd be able to do it then. Any thoughts on this strategy?

We're going mid-July & my jury is still out on whether or not I think this is a good thing..... Part of me resents the planning of these attractions (and I am a major planner - but where is the spontaneity???) - but I can see the beauty of at least "reserving a spot" on the most popular attractions - as we will be in competition with tour groups in July......

Needless to say - we'll be trying to secure a FP on the Seven Dwarfs attraction day 1!

Edited: Just read in another thread that its 30 days - not 60. Is 30 days correct?

yankeesfan123
05-04-2014, 11:06 PM
60 days if on property

DisneyGiant
05-04-2014, 11:11 PM
60 days if on property

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :mickey:

Now - can you "fix" CC? :)