PDA

View Full Version : Admin Prof Day - Is She or Isn't She?

AvaNellMouse
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Our senior admin at work left early for an appointment yesterday. After she was gone I took a card into one of her supervisors to sign and pass thru the office. (I keep greeting cards for random occasions in my desk, no biggie.)

The supervisor says, "do you really think she is a secretary anymore?". The senior admin does all of her original admin work and was recently given the production side of marketing, too. My response was, "if you want coffee for a meeting, who do you ask to make it for you?".

I was blown away by the supervisor's comment because they are very buddy-buddy and the admin would be really bugged if she knew they balked at signing a card for her.

If I may suggest, tomorrow is Administrative Professional's Day, do something nice for the people in your work environment that help you, regardless of their title. Even if you bring them a cup of coffee when you pick up yours on the way in, it really IS the thought that counts.

:thanks:

Puppy Mom
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
I think that a much better thing would be to tell her personally what it is you think she does well that you appreciate.

They can change the name all they want, but Administrative Professional's Day is just another made up Hallmark day to sell cards. Almost any female who gets a card on that day is going to take it as everyone who signs the card thinking she works for them as some kind of secretary.

Treat people with the respect and appreciation they deserve all the time and don't think that a stinking card once a year on a fake day covers the obligation for the year.

Donald
04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I truly would not want our receptionist's job! I think I will stop and grab a cup of coffee for her in the morning! Everyone deserves a little appreciation every now and then!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
All I know is that in my department we all make the coffee when we need to; it's certainly not our AP's job. There are a hundred functions much more vital than that that she helps out with. And yes, we are all getting her cards tomorrow, as well as taking her out for lunch. (BTW, don't forget that there are plenty of men in AP roles, not just women.)

Cinderelley
04-29-2014, 05:32 AM
Treat people with the respect and appreciation they deserve all the time and don't think that a stinking card once a year on a fake day covers the obligation for the year.

Wow that seems a little harsh for someone who was trying to do something nice for another person. We have nurses week where the doctors will give us a little present. We all know that the company has one person who went out, bought the stuff and put it together, and that that person was not a doctor. But still, it is the thought that counts.