PDA

View Full Version : Marathon effects on the Parks

Gator
04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
I had all but written off a trip to WDW in the forseeable future. However, there's an event mid-Jan of next year that I'd like to catch and it's given me another chance at going to WDW. Here's the catch. I'd want to do WDW the 8 or 9 days before, which lands me at the resort in the middle of Marathon week.

How do these races effect the parks? Do the parks open later because of the racers? Do the parks get packed because of the extra surge of people racing? Will every ounce of Powerade be drained from the soda fountains?

Also, does anyone know about how it would impact the chance of getting a discount on rooms or free-dining. Thanks!

FutureEnjoyment
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
1- How do these races effect the parks?
2- Do the parks open later because of the racers?
3- Do the parks get packed because of the extra surge of people racing?

1- Little appreciable effect on the parks.
2- Nope.
3- Nope.

VWL Mom
04-22-2014, 03:25 PM
We ended up in WDW for Marathon weekend this year. I'd rate the parks at about a 4 or a 5. There were notes in the room advising that traffic may be slow getting around but we really only noticed it on Sunday. There were discounted room rates but they filled up quickly, I kept checking back and was able to get one. Not sure about free dining.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
We were there for marathon weekend a couple of years ago, and it wasn't too bad at all.

The biggest challenge is traffic, getting to the parks during the races; take Disney transportation for sure. (and don't make any early ADR's ... it is going to be slower than usual).

Otherwise, not a huge impact on crowds, there is a bit of a jump, but still a fairly reasonable time to go.

BhamWriter
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
We stayed at YC this past January during the Marathon. The only park we attended was Epcot. One day was a little irritating, walking to the park and, once inside, navigating through the park. It really wasn't bad, though, and was only slightly inconveniencing. You might have to wait a couple or few minutes to cross the street, but Disney planned the cross-overs well.