PDA

View Full Version : Bunk beds at AKL

Dsnygirl
04-20-2014, 09:43 PM
We are surprising our girls (okay, I am also surprising my DH - he thinks we're staying at CBR :)) with 3 nights at AKL during our trip to FL this August.

We've stayed Savannah view (lovely upgrade from a CM) and pool view... and we loved pool view. So I chose pool view this time again, but with bunk beds for the girls, as they are 12 & 15 and are sharing beds the rest of the trip... so I though maybe they'd like their own beds for a change. But they are tall... I am 5'7", and my 15yr old is almost as tall as me, and the 12yr old isn't far behind.

Do you guys think they'll be comfortable in bunks? They love the beds at AKL, and do fine sharing a queen... so if you guys think they might find the beds too short or too small, I'll change our ressie to a regular room.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

AgentC
04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
We stayed at a bunk bed room at Wilderness in February. I'm assuming the bunk beds at AKL are very similar.

My kids loved the bunk beds but they are 5 & 8,

I am about your height and I fit in the top and the bottom bunk. If you are taller, you need to be careful in the bottom bunk because you could hit your head getting in or out. The top bunk is full enclosed by the railing which locks. The top bunk felt a bit more spacious to me.

The room felt a little small with the bunk bed in it but I had stayed at BWI the month before and it might just be my perception after staying in a larger room.

I would get the bunk bed rooms again but I don't know if it would be my first choice.

#1donaldfan
04-21-2014, 12:10 PM
They will be fine with the bunk beds. We have had them on two different trips and they were perfect. They appear to be the same length as the queen so there should be no problems.....:thumbsup:

Dulcee
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM
If they are like the bunks in the treehouses you may run into issues. At 5 foot nothing I was fine in the bunk but anyone much taller would run into issues in my opinion. Especially with the top bunk which is "caged" in, so you can't have any limb hanging over anywhere.

BrerGnat
04-22-2014, 08:29 AM
We've had bunk beds at WL. They are pretty small. I am only 5'2" and would not have been comfortable sleeping in one.

Melanie
04-22-2014, 08:38 AM
We've had bunk beds at WL. They are pretty small. I am only 5'2" and would not have been comfortable sleeping in one.

I have to agree with Natalie on this one. We've had bunk bed rooms at both Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge, and while they were great for my boys at the time (no way could we do it now), I'd never had been comfortable sleeping in them. I'm 5'7".

Dsnygirl
04-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the input guys... thinking I'll switch our ressie back to a "regular" pool view, then. I know the girls love the beds there, as do we, so.... might as well go with what we know. Plus, we're adding on a night, so the price drop will help pay for it! :thumbsup: