PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios 25th Anniversary

Tinkerbell23
04-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Is HS doing anything special for the anniversary? We will be there on May 1 so I was just wondering if there would be anything going on?

:mickey:

Katzateer
04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
If you can, go to the park when it opens and you might be surprised. On Walt's 100th birthday, we went to the Studios and were surprised - a lot going on and it was a great day. Did not plan our trip around that celebration but it was a lot of fun. Was not really advertised - we were just lucky we picked the right park.

Tinkerbell23
04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Oh good, we will get there early. We just happened to be going that day before I even knew of the anniversary!

Ian
04-17-2014, 11:22 AM
We'll be there on the 1st, too, so we'll have to check it out as well.

Tinkerbell23
04-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Katzateer, what kind of things did they do when you were there?

Katzateer
04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
It was really amazing and since it was Walt's birthday, not sure it will be as big for the studios anniversary but......my first clue was they were giving out birthday hats when you entered the park. There were tv crews all over and GMA or the Today show was filming live, so I think the park had opened early. Some of the original animators were there and Eisner and other Disney big shots.

They had this scene they were shooting at the Mickey Hat- 100 characters each brought out 100 cakes and they were joined together on this big framework set up to hold the cakes. When all put together they were a picture of Walt Disney! I have never seen so many characters all in one place- it almost made me cry! Then, with all the characters surrounding the cake and posing fireworks around the cakes were suppossed to go off and they didn't work. Soooooo, theyhad all the characters go back and come back out and tryed again and it worked better the second take. After that, you could get in line for some cake, but we had been there long enough by that time. But it was really cool and thrilling.

Tinkerbell23
04-18-2014, 11:40 AM
That sounds like such an amazing moment to be a part of!!

azcavalier
04-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Will they be celebrating all month? Or just the actual day of opening? I saw on the Disney Blog that there will be special merchandise, including some pins i'd love to collect. We'll be there, but not until the end of May.

Main Street Jim
04-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Don't go expecting much, if anything at all.

Remember, for EPCOT's 25th back in 2007, a "fan group" had to pretty much BEG and PLEAD for Walt Disney World to do *something* for the anniversary. All they had originally planned was a few Cast Member celebrations - and *small* at that - until word got out that there was *nothing* for guests planned.

hauntedmansiongirl
04-20-2014, 06:23 AM
We were at MK for the 40th Anniversary. Each of the original resorts and MK had button pins that we tried to collect. And the fireworks display was bigger than normal, but other than that there was nothing going. I don't think Disney anticipated that the buttons would be so popular as the Poly & Contemporary both ran out within a few minutes. There were some upset people. We didn't even know about it ahead of time, so it was all a bonus for us. I hope they do something at DHS!

CaptSmee
04-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Don't go expecting much, if anything at all.

Remember, for EPCOT's 25th back in 2007, a "fan group" had to pretty much BEG and PLEAD for Walt Disney World to do *something* for the anniversary. All they had originally planned was a few Cast Member celebrations - and *small* at that - until word got out that there was *nothing* for guests planned.

Such wasted opportunity to cash in on these milestone years...& fans would love it! (Myself included)

Tinkerbell23
04-24-2014, 03:26 PM
For anyone interested, Disney just posted new info on their site:

In a park that pays tribute to many Hollywood icons of the silver screen, a silver anniversary is a special one to celebrate. On May 1, 1989, Disney’s Hollywood Studios (known then as Disney-MGM Studios — a name that would identify the park until it was changed in 2008) became the third Disney theme park to open at Walt Disney World Resort. On May 1, 2014, the park will mark its 25th anniversary in several ways (*times and entertainment subject to change):

•At 10 a.m., Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will take the stage with Disney’s Hollywood Studios Vice President Dan Cockerell to start the celebration day, honoring some of the 25-year cast members during a short rededication ceremony.

•A special motorcade — “Stars of the Studios” — will make its way down Hollywood Blvd. beginning at 7 p.m. and feature many of the famous characters showcased throughout the park. Mickey and Minnie will be joined by television and film stars including Captain Jack Sparrow, Darth Vader, Doc McStuffins, Wreck-It Ralph, Venellope, Sofia the First and more.

•Following the motorcade, the area in front of the park’s Sorcerer Hat Stage will become a dance party before a fireworks show ends the day in grand fashion at 9:30 p.m. The pyrotechnics show, which will be high in the sky above the Sorcerer Mickey Hat, will pay tribute to 25 years of show business stories that have been told throughout the park.
Special events and entertainment for the celebration are included in regular park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Also, as previously outlined by fellow Disney Parks Blog author Steven Miller, 25th anniversary commemorative merchandise will be sold (while supplies last). And finally, a taste-tempting treat — a 25th Anniversary Chocolate Nutella Cupcake — will be sold at many of the park’s quick service dining locations during the day.