PDA

View Full Version : Living in FL

CAS
04-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

Since I was recently laid off I was thinking of making this into the opportunity that my family has always dreamt of, that of moving to FL!

Since, like most of us, one of my primary passions in life is WDW, can someone who has taken the plunge in moving to FL tell me if it has affected their trip experience?

Many of the events that accompany a WDW trip for me aren't park related at all. I enjoy the plane trip, the airport, the rental cars, and feeling like I'm a million miles away from work. Obviously our trips will now be significantly cheaper, however I'm afraid the experience won't be as impactful now.

Am I being a big baby? :blush:

Strmchsr
04-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Living close definitely doesn't ruin the experience but it does change it. Going to WDW is a lot of fun and very enjoyable, but it isn't a "big deal." It's just hop in the car and go. That also takes a lot of the stress off of a Disney vacation. If I go and it's way crowded, no big deal. I'll come back next month. There's no pressure to see or do everything. Sometimes I just pop in for a day or two. I suppose the downside is that WDW does become "common." There's no "wow I can't believe we're here."

Disney4us2
04-12-2014, 12:41 PM
I agree with Chris. He hit it right on.

We live in Winter Haven which is SE of WDW by about 35 miles. We go as often as we can and lately it is mostly to Epcot. Water parks will be the park of choice this summer.

We moved to FL in August (2013). I chose Winter Haven since it had an apartment that I really liked. I like Winter Haven and just wish it was closer to WDW. We are looking forward to buying a house closer to WDW... either Kissimmee, just off of the 192, or in Davenport. Just depends on which house is still available in June. (Still awaiting probate to close on 5/27. ) I am hoping for the Kissimmee house since it is in the Celebration High School zone.

We still look forward to going to WDW, although now it is feeling more like home for us. Disneyland was our "home" before moving to FL. I still smile everytime I pass under the entrance signs..... don't know if that will ever get old.

More exciting for us is using our DVC points for over night stays. That said... can't wait to try out Vero Beach.

My daughter (14) is having a hard time and really misses her friends in CA. She is shy so it is harder for her to make friends. If you have kids, that may be a consideration. She is finally in a Girl Scout troop and likes the girls there and friendships are starting. Church has helped as well and there is a nice group of girls in the Young Women.

Paperwork.... tons of it to get my daughter registered for school. You need to have a current (FL) physical, show proof of residency, immunizations, old school records. ETC.

Make sure you have original birth certificates for everyone. Ask of PM if you have any additional questions.

Strmchsr
04-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Paperwork.... tons of it to get my daughter registered for school. You need to have a current (FL) physical, show proof of residency, immunizations, old school records. ETC. Make sure you have original birth certificates for everyone. Ask of PM if you have any additional questions.

:ditto: and be prepared for HUGE hassles with getting a driver's license and a bit of sticker shock on license plates, insurance, property tax, etc. I suppose on the good side, no state income tax.

Terra
04-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I must be the odd ball [well, I *know* I'm the odd ball :secret:]

It is still magical each time. I feel giddy when I pass the big WDW arch sign. Still feel amazed when I enter the gates of each park!

And we still do vacations there from time to time!

Plus on the upside, you'll find that you don't have to worry so much about FP+ now ;)
You can go for just a few hours [depending on how close you live], do a few things, catch some shows, a good dinner!

I go there after work on Friday's sometimes to watch fireworks, and eat dinner!

You'll find new magic! I love going early and just people watching with a cup of coffee!

It is what you make it! :)

AgentC
04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
I think it ebbs and flows. We've lived here since 2002 and have gone very regularly since my son son was born 8 years ago. We still stay on site but we as my kids get older we do more day trips.

It's still magical but I agree that it becomes less of a big deal because there is always another day you can. And as others have mentioned it takes the pressure off.

And it does feel like home or as an older series of pass holder commercial used to say "your park". I have plenty of days where I go to a park and don't ride a thing.I just hang out and enjoy the atmosphere.

And if you are a real Disney fan, it opens up all sorts of experiences because you can just head over. We do Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, the Halloween party and any other special events that we feel like.

It also opens up a whole lot of other cool FL things to you since it no longer has to be all just about Disney. :D

CAS
04-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Your sentiments are precisely what I expected. It won't be less magical but I won't have the feeling of "I can't believe we're here" any longer. Unfortunately that's a big part of the excitement for me but I'll take the warm weather regardless.

Regarding property taxes, plates and such it'll actually be a savings. Nebraska is usually at the very top of the list for highest in the nation. I think we're only number 5 right now but it's still bad.