PDA

View Full Version : Doing the college program as an adult?

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-02-2014, 09:00 PM
I regret not doing the WDW College Program when I was in college. I went to a presentation, but chickened out when it came time to applying. I was very shy at the time.

I did a little research online and it looks like a lot of other adults have had the same wish to do the college program, and went back to school in order to do it! :mickey: I was thinking of maybe taking some classes at the local community college. It seems like you only need a semester under your belt to qualify for the program.

Has anyone else had any experience with adult students doing the WDW College Program?

joanna71985
04-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I never did it myself (I did all mine while still in school). However- while on the CP, I knew adults who were on the program (just like you mentioned). So you would be fine :)

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Thank you Joanna! :thumbsup:

I'm glad there are others out there who have done this. I am strongly considering it.

joonyer
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Unless Disney has an age limit, it should make no difference. College students are all ages.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Unless Disney has an age limit, it should make no difference. College students are all ages.

They do not have an age limit. :D Which I think is awesome!

I can find so much info on the internet about traditional college students doing the DCP, but would love to hear someone's personal experience with doing it as a non-traditional student just to get their perspective.

SBETigg
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
They do not have an age limit. :D Which I think is awesome!

I can find so much info on the internet about traditional college students doing the DCP, but would love to hear someone's personal experience with doing it as a non-traditional student just to get their perspective.

If you're interested in going back to college, and end up taking part in the program as part of that experience, excellent. But if you're only going back to college to do the college program, I think you would be better off just going down to live for a period of time and working for Disney. College can be really expensive. Working for Disney, you could get some of the same experiences ( a lot of the college program people don't end up in the most glamorous of positions) and actually get paid. Also, you might be on your way to a long term Disney career (in either case). Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Figaro
04-14-2014, 08:34 PM
If you're interested in going back to college, and end up taking part in the program as part of that experience, excellent. But if you're only going back to college to do the college program, I think you would be better off just going down to live for a period of time and working for Disney. College can be really expensive. Working for Disney, you could get some of the same experiences ( a lot of the college program people don't end up in the most glamorous of positions) and actually get paid. Also, you might be on your way to a long term Disney career (in either case). Best wishes with whatever you decide.

The College Program is a great program. I was a full time CM for a while and I worked with a lot of CPs. One of the drawbacks of the program is the housing. You are put up in an apartment with sometimes 5 other people and you share a single room with another person. A lot like a college dorm situation. Disney will take the money for rent out of your paycheck before you receive your check. I've heard its a pretty penny that they take out. Disney has many options in terms of employment. Seasonal may be a good option for you, also. You could always come down and stay in an extended stay type place and work. College program however can provide a good inlet to working for management with Disney. I personally saw one of our CP go from one CP program, them jump to a professional internship, and then end up as a Recreation Guest Service Manager right out of her internship. Timeline for this was maybe a year and a half from start of first program to ending professional internship to GSM role. To be seasonal...you only have to work 40 hours per year, so in theory you could go down for a week, work for 40 hours, and maintain your employment and also have the park benefits, etc. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a message!

dnickels
04-15-2014, 08:24 AM

I'd agree with this. If you're taking the college courses to get a degree you actually want/need, that's one thing, but taking a few college courses to get into the college program basically means that you'd end up paying to work at Disney. In that case you'd be better off to just get a regular position with them.