PDA

View Full Version : First time at Dolphin questions

Jmulvaney
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
DH are flying to WDW without kids for Labor Day weekend (I got a great teacher discount), and I have a couple of questions. I have read we will be able to use FP+ but not magic bands. Is that info correct? Also, any tips or a dive about this resort would be most welcome!

DisneyFan1979
03-28-2014, 12:27 PM
I have not stayed at the Dolphin/Swan since Disney started testing the Magic Bands. But my understanding is that they are not part of the magicband/advance fastpass reservation system. However, it might be helpful for you to know that when I was in Disney at the beginning of March I noticed that at the entrance to each park there was a designated spot for Swan/Dolphin guests to make fastpass choices upon arrival at the park. For example, at the Epcot international gateway entrance there was a castmember with an iPad at a table designated Swan/Dolphin.

brownie
03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
:welcome:

Welcome to INTERCOT!

A lot can change between now and Labor Day; you may be able to get Magic Bands by the time your trip rolls around.

dixielandings
04-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Indeed, MBs and FP+ are now being tested with offsite Guests, so you will surely be able to use them for your trip (unless something else changes during this "testing" phase).

I love Swan/Dolphin - this area is my favorite location on WDW property - walking distance to Epcot (and Studios), beautiful lake view, peaceful...enjoy.

DizneyRox
04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Sounds like your dreams have come true...

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=204360

For about $13 each, you can buy them! Not sure why anyone would do this when you can do exactly the same thing with you ticket, but ok...

Lindslou
04-01-2014, 11:33 AM
:welcome:

Welcome to INTERCOT!

A lot can change between now and Labor Day; you may be able to get Magic Bands by the time your trip rolls around.

I agree. I wouldn't even think about this until June since everything is changing so fast.

I love the Swan/Dolphin! Picabu is a really fun and different quick service and the Fountain is just divine (malts and milkshakes!). The pool(s) are really great and you can't beat walking to both Epcot and DHS.

azcavalier
04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
I know that Swan/Dolphin guests get a lot of the same perks as other Disney Resort guests (EMH, hotel package deliveries), but can you also qualify for the DDP if you choose to purchase it?

Lindslou
04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
You have to purchase a Magic Your Way package in order to get the dining plan. It's not sold on its own but rather within the package. And you won't be purchasing a Magic Your Way package because the Swan is not considered a full Disney resort. (Very complicated relationship if you ask me.) But on the bright side I actually spend less just paying for food on my own than paying for the dining plan so it may work out in your favor.

Polynesian Dweller
04-23-2014, 04:02 PM
You have to purchase a Magic Your Way package in order to get the dining plan. It's not sold on its own but rather within the package. And you won't be purchasing a Magic Your Way package because the Swan is not considered a full Disney resort. (Very complicated relationship if you ask me.) But on the bright side I actually spend less just paying for food on my own than paying for the dining plan so it may work out in your favor.

Not a complicated relationship at all. The Swan and Dolphin are owned and operated by Tishman Group. They are not Disney resorts and since the DDP is a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort you don't get it at the Swan and Dolphin.

azcavalier
04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Not a complicated relationship at all. The Swan and Dolphin are owned and operated by Tishman Group. They are not Disney resorts and since the DDP is a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort you don't get it at the Swan and Dolphin.

Yeah, but the EMH is also a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort, yet you DO get that at the Swan and Dolphin. Thus the question.

Lindslou
04-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but the EMH is also a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort, yet you DO get that at the Swan and Dolphin. Thus the question.

Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love the Swan and Dolphin. It's just a little different from other resorts because some Disney perks apply and some don't. But I'll take that complicated relationship any time if it means that I can afford to stay at the Boardwalk and walk to DHS and Epcot. :mickey:

azcavalier
04-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love the Swan and Dolphin. It's just a little different from other resorts because some Disney perks apply and some don't. But I'll take that complicated relationship any time if it means that I can afford to stay at the Boardwalk and walk to DHS and Epcot. :mickey:

Right, I was just hoping that was a perk that one could get by staying there.

Polynesian Dweller
04-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Because the Swan and Dolphin pay for that perk for their guests. However, Disney will not sell them the DDP.

Jimenyfan
06-06-2014, 03:15 PM
DH and I are staying at the Dolphin starting June 12th, we were able to use the Fastpass plus system and are using our Magic Bands from our December Disney trip.

epceddie
06-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Enjoy the new $23 per night resort fee!

Tigerinvestigator
06-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Enjoy the new $23 per night resort fee!

It's still much cheaper than the Disney owned resorts! We just paid $149/night and with the $23 fee was still less than $200. We were upgraded to Lake view with a balcony. We stay at the Dolphin at least once a month and you cannot beat the resort!:thumbsup:

vallerii
07-07-2014, 05:02 PM
We've stayed there plenty of times having even stayed grand opening week. You really can't beat that teacher discount!
(Haven't been there recently since the switch to magic bands, so I can't offer advice on that one, though but I did see this: http://www.swandolphin.com/aboutus/fastpass.html)
For that $23 resort package, make sure they give you the 2 bottles of water a day. It may be silly, but you're paying for them, and they sometimes were lax on that. You do get free internet access and health club access with that though too.
Join the Starwood Preferred Guest Club and you can get points for your stay. (It's helped bump us up to free internet, nicer rooms, etc..at other Starwood resorts)

We really enjoyed Il Mulino New York Trattoria at the Swan for a special meal (wine, pasta..mmmm) Bluezoo was nice for a drink at the bar too. The pool bar by the Dolphin, with it's casually elegant seating also was a great place for a relaxing lunch/drink.
If you plan to use the pool, shaded lounge seats can go fast so keep that in mind. The pool is fantastic, btw!

At one point there were nightly movies on the beach, which was nice and relaxing. Not sure if they still do that, but you could also walk over to the Yacht/Beach club for their movie, or stroll around the Boardwalk too.
Honestly, the proximity of the Dolphin to the Boardwalk/Epcot for the price of the room is really fantastic.
You can walk to the Studios too, if you're so inclined. It's a hike, but great exercise.