PDA

View Full Version : Episode 61 - Give 'Em a ROY G BIV Pack

John
03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
The Cast - Christine Warner, Melanie Bounds, Ian Mitchell, John Yaglenski

- Guess Who reference gets us started

- New Festival of Fantasy parade - our twitter account killed it today with incredible shots. Follow us on twitter @intercot. Christine gives a complete rundown.

- See the full parade on our YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/geyksDpqAwo

- Flower and Garden festival opens

- The Guess Who show was great!

- The Cheshire Cafe - White Chocolate Rabbit!

- John’s blind auction story. Controversy follows him around.

- Water is gone in the Magic Kingdom.

- RunDisney and #runICOT events and the price of events.

- #runICOT is going to run to support THYCA (www.thyca.org (http://www.thyca.org)) and Thyroid Cancer Awareness and Survivors.* Registration will open April 22, 2014 at Noon EST for the Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend! Details coming soon.

- Goodbye to a national hero - Wild Bill Guarnere from Band of Brothers.

- Take It or Leave It!* Turkey Legs and Bubble Gum.* Mel - Bubble Gum Yes, Turkey Legs No.* Christine - Turkey Legs and the sticks No, Bubble Gum Yes. Ian - Turkey Legs No, Gum No.* John - Turkey Legs No, Gum Yes.

- Travolta Screw Ups - Frozen.

- Rock Your Disney Side.

- Hub Reconfiguation - Big changes coming.

- Starbucks in Downtown Disney

- Star Wars Weekends and Special Fireworks!

- Fantasmic - How old is it? Can we get some HD projectors and new content?

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE AND SHARE! (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2014/episode-61.asp)

AgentC
03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Yay. Stealth podcast. That will make the rest of my day researching insurance pay plan filings go by so much faster. (And yes, I do lead an exciting life. ;) )

JMTStone
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Good podcast. John... you're right. When Miss Sunshine (Christine) left there was some crank. *BUT* I believe it was Mel who said "We crank because we care".

Anyway, I'm with Mel. I like Fantasmic still. But I make sure I get it with a dinner package so I don't have to show up 45 minutes early.

So - Take it or leave it....

Dinner packages - Dinner shows
Night Shows/Fireworks
And NON Disney Parks - Disney Cruise Line Excursions (on your own or through Disney)

I also agree with Ian - Disney World Food and Wine Star Wars Holidays Around the World Flower and Garden Marathon "special" dates aren't that special anymore.

Septbride2002
03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
I know it is a good podcast when i find myself taking notes so i remember to comment on topics.

The comment about when you have kids your form of entertainment is drinking beer at home and talking to people about Disney in your home office = so true and hysterical!

The new parade looks awesome. Thank you for the great video. I watched it with my kids last night and they loved it. The floats look amazing! Our next trip is in the summer so I'm not sure we will sit in scoarching sun to see it, but the video is great.

The orange bird merchandise is adorable! I ordered the little figurine from the Disney Store website. I havent bought a disney figurine in over 5 years but that bird manage to pry $20 out of my hand.

Up until our last trip i was not a fan of Fantasmic. We skipped it almost every trip. For some reason we decided to see it on the last trip and my son (age 4) loved it! He kept engaged the entire show and asked for more. We actually ended up seeing it again before the week was out and he still loved it. He request to watch it via You Tube all the time. While i agree a technical upgrade would be great, I hope they dont change the content. I love that all the cartoons are hand drawn. I love seeing the 90's movies featured. My daughter loved seeing Pocahontas which is one of her favorites and not a character we can see anywhere else.

I still love Illuminations for the music but my kids are bored during it.

Speaking of characters....ive seen a few pictures now posted of the characters meet and greet with Elsa from Frozen. They really need to hire some younger cast members to play these parts.

Great Podcast!

lwith58
03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Leave ‘em both… Not a gum chewer, I go for the mints. I’ve never tried one but the turkey leg looks to be far too much work and mess for me.

Not only did the Swan boats pass under the bridge that leads into Cinderella Castle, they also circled around the Swiss Family Treehouse.

PirateLover
03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Still have about 20 mins left but I thought I'd chime in on what I've heard so far. First off, yes, Mel, I'm backing you up on Capt. Hook hanging from the bedazzled rainbow. It just seemed odd. Christine had an interesting perspective that I kind of get-he's being villainous by sneaking around under the rainbow- But I much prefer seeing him in action with Peter. Some of the other floats (Rapunzel in particular) just seem so cool and innovative, that the Peter Pan one was a bit of a let down. However, it's just a nit-picky thing, really. It's a fantastic parade.

As for the turkey legs... they are awesome! Right now I have no recollection of the "white sticks" Christine is talking about, though. They aren't actually that much of a challenge to eat, but yes, they can get a tad messy. Typically we get one and share. I must say, though, I think the pork shanks at Gaston's Tavern haven overtaken the Turkey Legs! Mmm Mmm Mmmm

Melanie
03-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Up until our last trip i was not a fan of Fantasmic. We skipped it almost every trip. For some reason we decided to see it on the last trip and my son (age 4) loved it! He kept engaged the entire show and asked for more. We actually ended up seeing it again before the week was out and he still loved it. He request to watch it via You Tube all the time. While i agree a technical upgrade would be great, I hope they dont change the content. I love that all the cartoons are hand drawn. I love seeing the 90's movies featured. My daughter loved seeing Pocahontas which is one of her favorites and not a character we can see anywhere else.

This just reminded me of what it is that makes Fantasmic! #1 for me - the characters! Anyone who travels with me knows I'm all about the characters. If I see one, it's like SQUIRREL! I'm not proud, but it is what it is. lol

With Illumniations, I don't want to be preached to and lulled to sleep about world peace and harmony. ;) Get it back to focusing on the countries!

BrerGnat
03-30-2014, 08:28 AM
I like the multi-pack shirt idea, but no days of the week...then they can't really be reused later on. I mean, they could be, but that would be weird.

Gum...TAKE IT. I am a bit addicted to gum. I take about 5 packs for a week trip. It is always at the top of my packing list.

Turkey Legs, leave it, but I really want to try one. Unfortunately, it would almost certainly result in a terrible migraine for me due to the nitrates and sodium. They do smell so good though and I wish I could try one. I'd only eat the outer meat/skin though...none of that stringy meat near the bone.

PirateLover
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
OK, now my thoughts on Fantasmic. The first time I saw it, I was blown away. I thought it was THE COOLEST thing! I saw it a few times after that, with the last time being in 2007... that speaks volumes as to how I now feel about it. It just became so STALE, and for me, the experience is so dependent on where you are sitting. In 2007 we did the package, and our seats were off the right a bit. I felt like I was an outsider looking in, rather than being immersed in the magic. Have not gone back since. We did catch a showing in Disneyland in 2012 and were SO impressed, though. I think it just has so much more potential if they gave it a little love.

Melanie
03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I think it just has so much more potential if they gave it a little love.

Agreed! Although I must admit I haven't actually done a dedicated viewing of the Disneyland version since we did the balcony viewing years ago. I'd not mind doing the dessert party now.

Yungbuck73
03-31-2014, 08:16 AM
The dessert party in Disneyland is very cool. You get SEATS. which is very nice after being on your feet all day. The Dessert box is huge. They really give you a lot.

Ian
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
This just reminded me of what it is that makes Fantasmic! #1 for me - the characters!

<Michael Eisner Voice>We need more charactahs.</Michael Eisner Voice>

Quadstriker
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
The dessert party in Disneyland is very cool. You get SEATS. which is very nice after being on your feet all day. The Dessert box is huge. They really give you a lot.

Definitely worth doing at least once as a special treat.

OFFICIAL TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT SUGGESTION

Dessert party - take it or leave it

DisneyMP3Maker
04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I used to like Fantasmic a lot. It was my favorite night time show until a few years ago when I got tired of sitting for an hour to see blurry projections of movies on mostly-working water sprays. I still love the music, but I would love it even more if they did a complete overhaul.
Illuminations has taken over as my #1 now. Love the music and the inferno barge. It gets a little slow in the middle, and yes, the globe is way too small. Speaking of the globe, it didn't open up and shoot fireworks in January when we were there for the Marathon Weekend. Totally disappointed.

I love the turkey legs. mmmmmm :eat:
And take it on gum too.

As for #runICOT, is the support for ThyCa only going to be for the Marathon Weekend, or will it be available for all RunDisney events? The reason I ask is because my uncle battled Thyroid cancer and beat it, and I want to support the cause during the Dumbo Double Dare in August (if possible).

Lacy
04-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Enjoyable podcast as usual!

Here are some take it or leave it suggestions:

1. I agree with the dessert for Fantasmic! at Disneyland and this could be expanded to include the dinner packages for shows even though they aren't typically during the show so a little different.

2. Backstage tours

3. Staying off property - WDW and Disneyland

4. Vacationing at WDW without going to the parks

5. Star Wars weekend (or weekends as is the case now)

6. Non-Disney restaurants in the parks (Rainforest Cafe at AK)

7. Duffy

mickeyman42
04-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Turkey Legs, leave em', Bubblegum, leave em', fantasmic, leave it, illuminations, leave it

how's that for cranky!

seriously though, I don't hate Fantasmic, I just don't get the appeal, and there is no way I'm waiting in line for it, ever. If I can't walk in and grab a seat, I'm not interested in it enough to wait. I actually find it more enjoyable to stroll around a mostly dead DHS when its going on, grab a carrot cake cookie and enjoy the ambiance of a quiet park.

Illuminations, never visited when the old show was going on, so I've only seen the reflections of earth version, can't stand it. Its the most boring, nighttime "entertainment" anyone could have come up with. I would rather watch a projection show on spaceship earth, similar to magic, memories and you, and have that as a nighttime show, I'm sure its got to be possible.

Take it or leave it ideas:
- interactive games (sorcerers of the MK, the pirate adventure, perry's world showcase adventure)
- downtown disney
- refillable mugs
- Disney Wifi
- resort activities (ie do you do any of them)
- ADR's
- using fp+ for characters/shows/parades

2Epcot
04-22-2014, 12:13 AM
I haven't seen Fantasmic at WDW in many years. The last time I saw it, I still enjoyed it, but not as much as the Disneyland version. You can beat having those two large ships in the show.

I am a fan of the original Illuminations show. I would like to see some updates in the show as well as the technology.

I have also never tried one of the Turkey legs.

Take it or leave it: 3D movies in the parks. Once a novelty, now everything is 3D.

GMRO
04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Another KEWL podcast! Great entertainment and info as always. And the quality was up to the norm – everyone sounded good. CW was mono/strange sounding then all of a sudden POP it was all good. ;)

NEW Parade coverage – AWESOME!!! Twitter pics and follow up was very good. CW and “her John” did an outstanding job. SO the explanation on how you did the HD pics was very good. Makes sense and the pics were just liquid looking as the colors burst out. I still need to watch the video but since we are at the 18 day mark for our vacation on DCL then on land I hope to enjoy it in person. That little Wi-Fi card sound like a gadget I may need to have! Anyway – thanks for all the time you spend in the parks and thanks for the tweets you folks send as well. Nice to get a lil’taste of our favorite places when at the grind all day.

runDisney – they sure do have a cash cow on this one. Seems any event goes GOLD for them and sells out in 3/4 day. It is nice to see such great support from participants but I do wonder if they will price themselves out after a while. Great many are seeing the advantages of living healthy etc and doing it the Disney way as motivation as well. Thanks for the great runDisney coverage that takes place on twitter too and on the boards!

MME/Bands – well we will see how they have tweaked the FP+ stuff in 2.5 weeks when we arrive on land. I’m optimistic after MB’s tweets and her trip report from Easter Week that all will be and is getting better. Very good to hear they have been making progress and improvements.

We also do hope the Dwarf Mine Coaster is open and operating to some normalcy during our trip too! I know some, JY & Ian, are planning to attend the press event for it? GREAT! Tweet up JY – since your B-Ball tourney is over. Funny 80% or 90% of your stuff is B-Ball/sports. Too funny…AGREED!

SO – take what and leave what?

Turkey Legs – LEAVE’EM! I do find myself taking funny pics, like the ipadisnotacamera shots, of folks gnawing on those somewhat messy looking things. Nothing I want less anywhere including Disney on a hot day is a messy-greasy piece of meat on a bone with white sticks poking at me. NO THANKS!

GUM – I get what you say CW. Gum throwers are already among us. I just don’t like it all around. Many folks lack gum manners and crack it or snap it and chew it like farm animals. I say leave ‘it! Mints or flavored chews of some sort for me. Plus my jaw doesn’t get all sore from the constant chewing. YUP nothing like talking with a coffee junkie or nacho junkie with bad breath so we all do appreciate the folks who think that far in advance. ;) WE need something, just not GUM for all those reasons mentioned in the podcast.

Future ideas/suggestions for take it or leave it:

Parents Who Don’t Know When Their Kids Are “ALL DISNEY’D OUT” – that is they don’t realize Jr needs a NAAAAPPP back at the room and we all deal with a screaming kid who’s sun burnt like a lobster and tired and screaming. C’mon it’s the happiest place on earth – but we all need down time and a break. Pick up on the signs parents.

Parents Who Allow Kids Under The Age Of 10 Decide WHAT THEY WANT TO EAT, EACH ITEM, WHILE IT'S THEIR TURN TO ORDER IN LINE – Listen you lived with the kid for the past 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3 etc years at this point. IF you don’t know what they like to eat; and what to drink; and what they would like to have for dessert by now…well then you would not have passed the procreation test. The lines are long; everyone is trying to order and move at a good pace to keep order and folks happy – WE DON’T NEED AN UNDECISIVE KID WHO’s BEING DIFFICULT in line. Make the choice for them and order them something - probem solved. “It’s not a difficult decision”...says Michael. I get WE are at DISNEY but really – come on. And I’m not anti-kid. Just anti-BAD-kid and anti-BAD parent. Do you ask them at home – “what would you like me to make for dinner tonight?” I’d wager YOU make it and they eat it. So why different at Disney? Cause it’s DISNEY?

Thanks for the great efforts iCOT Team! We dl’ed June2013 to present podcast for our drive to Port Canaveral. Except episode 56 won't down load. ? This way we can re-enjoy the entertainment, and info for our trip. Always makes the trip go smoothly.

Melanie
04-22-2014, 03:52 PM
The EyeFi memory card is THE BOMB. I used it all last week. Thanks to Christine and John W. for clueing me into it.

GMRO
04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks MB!

Think Best Buy has it? That thing sounds like uber-kewl!

CW & JW are like on the cutting edge of abuse of technology!!! :number1:

Melanie
04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Think Best Buy has it? That thing sounds like uber-kewl!

That's where I got mine! :)