PDA

View Full Version : Snack credits

akaDisneyDreamer
03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know the guidelines on using snack credits? Is it based on a dollar amount? The last time we went almost 4 years ago, we had bought cotton candy at the Confectionary in Magic Kingdom several times before a cast member asked us if we wanted to pay with snack credits! We didn't know we could have been using those for that. In the end, we shopped at the resort store before we left to go home and used up our snack credits there, and it was nice bringing home Disney treats, but we could have possibly been using them for things we actually paid cash for! Can we get caramel apples with a snack credit? I know we can get things from the snack carts, Mickey ice cream bars or pastries at the resort and such, but just wondering what else they can be used for. Thanks for any advice!

Scallywag
03-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Anything that would qualify will have a Dining Plan symbol next to it. They are on most menus. You can check them out on line as well.

MargaretMessler
03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Everything that qualifies is marked with a purple DDP logo on the menu. This would pretty much include most deserts, side items as well as your usual generic snack items like popcorn and candy. Also bottled beverages. I've seen things as high as $6 marked as DDP eligible, but most are $5 and under.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned it to you because everywhere you go the first question is always "are you on the dining plan?", unless they only ask when you're ordering a meal.

etibbetts
03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
I find they are much better at marking everything on the menu w/ the purple logo so it is clear now, much better then the first time I used the DDP in 2008. However, don't hesitate to ask if you are getting something and you are not sure - better to be told no than waste a snack.

My favorite thing to use a snack on is the funnel cake at sleepy hollow. They are so yummy and priced a little over $5.

Mitzie
03-26-2014, 11:08 AM
We feel the chicken fried rice at Yak and Yetti food court in AK park and the ham and cheese sandwich at the France foodcourt in Epcot are great values for a snack credit.

akaDisneyDreamer
03-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you everyone, but I know to look for the purple logo on the menus, I'm really asking about using snack credits in the shops, for instance The Confectionary (candy store) on Main Street in Magic Kingdom. At least I don't recall seeing a menu there. Just wondered if there were some guidelines in identifying which items qualify, since, at least from my experience, the cast members don't always ask if you want to use snack credits in the shops. As I said above I bought cotton candy several times at The Confectionary before I found out I could actually use a snack credit there. I had thought I could only use them at the food service areas.

Figment104
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I believe the last time we were there I remember seeing the DDP mark on the price sign for items that weren't at a dining location. For example if there was a tag on the shelf with the cotton candy that stated what the price was, there would be a DDP on it indicating a snack credit could be used. I think the general rule of thumb is $4-$5 and under though. If it's not marked, as other's have mentioned definitely ask and the cast member will be more than happy to to tell you, but I do really think there was some sort of DDP mark listed by the food item (if that makes sense).

akaDisneyDreamer
04-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Thank you! I'll be sure to check for the DDP signs in the shops then. :)

iheartdisney
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Some years ago, we learned that snacks at the resort gift shops qualified as snack credits. A friendly CM noticed we had a bunch of snack credits left over. She quickly led me to the snack area and loaded me up with lollipops and chocolate covered pretzels - gifts for our pet sitter/mail taker-inner (<---her suggestion! And a good one!) We haven't wasted a snack credit since. I don't remember if they are clearly marked at the gift shops, though. If you're not sure, ask!

SBETigg
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
In general, most items under four dollars that are meant for individual consumption will qualify as a snack credit. There are lots of things that count as snacks that are over $4 too, though, and those are generally the best use of snack credits, if you're looking to use your snack credits wisely. In that case, it's really best to stick with what is marked.

They used to allow things like a box of donuts in the resort shops, but then they changed the guidelines to individual consumption items and generally around $4, at the time they got better at marking what counts for snack credits.

DKA041177
04-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Do some investigating before you go. Not all snack purchases are created equal, and you can get some real value if you pick the right snacks.