PDA

View Full Version : Mickey is never in two places at the same time?

azcavalier
03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
We consider ourselves full on Disneyphiles. We've been to WDW at least once a year for the last 12 years, been to Disneyland, own dozens of Disney movies, including many old classics on VHS like Moonspinners. My wife and I have entire shelves on our bookshelves dedicated to Disney books...biographies on Walt, essays about the parks, books on Disney culture and business practices, etc. You guys get it, many of you are just like us.

The other day, someone told my wife that Mickey Mouse is *never* out in public in two places at once across ALL Disney Parks, worldwide. That if he is on a float in the Magic Kingdom, he cannot also be out at a Meet 'n' Greet in Paris, Hong Kong, or Disneyland. Now, it may be that the parade ends, and one minute later he's out somewhere else, but that the powers that be have made a schedule for his character that is followed worldwide by all parks.

Is that true? I mean, on the one hand, that is *exactly* the kind of detail that I could see Disney doing. On the other hand, how would *anyone* possibly know that he was out in two places at once, so why bother?

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
I've always heard this too, except I've heard it on a more local, not worldwide level, so I'm not sure if it goes for ALL Disney properties or not?

I've heard that Mickey will never be in a parade at Magic Kingdom and doing an autograph signing in EPCOT, etc. I would like to hope it's true, because it certainly keeps the magic alive! :mickey:

MW1218
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
It's not true. I think the person might have been trying to tell your wife that Mickey isn't in two places in the same park at once...but that isn't true either.

One day we walked past the castle show (featuring Mickey) at the hub to the Main Street Railroad to do a loop of the Magic Kingdom. On the train as we passed through Frontierland, who did we see? Frontier Mickey! I was shocked.

Melanie
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
There is no way.

jclightchasr
03-25-2014, 11:00 AM
It's not true. I think the person might have been trying to tell your wife that Mickey isn't in two places in the same park at once...but that isn't true either.

One day we walked past the castle show (featuring Mickey) at the hub to the Main Street Railroad to do a loop of the Magic Kingdom. On the train as we passed through Frontierland, who did we see? Frontier Mickey! I was shocked.

Say it isnt so!

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM

It's possible the parade was finished by the time you saw Mickey on the train? Maybe? :blush:

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
No possible way. Just one example is that Mickey is at Chef Mickey's character breakfast and Ohana's character breakfast at the same time every single morning. Plus I am sure he is somewhere in the parks during breakfast hours as well. And this is just speaking of the WDW resort.

When we did the character breakfast at Disney's Vero Beach resort I asked why Mickey wasn't one of the characters and their answer was "because Mickey is in the park in Orlando, of course. And he can't be in two places at once". Good answer for the kids, and my kids did believe that answer, but I knew better. LOL.

bdm@pga
03-25-2014, 12:37 PM
This came form a Disney Historian..a pretty reliable source:

The original concept is that Mickey was never to be visible in 2 places at once. So that if a child saw Mickey and just got his autograph, he couldn't then be at another spot at the same time..within reason. Like on main street, then at the castle. Specifically one of sight and relative time. It had nothing to do "globally" or even park to park. Of course Mickey is in 2 places at the same time as someone else said..breakfast in more than one spot. However, with more and more meet and greets and more and more shows, it has become almost impossible to assure that there will never be 2 Mickeys...so...one thing Disney has tried to do is costume changes. So it is possible that at one moment you saw Mickey in a show dressed in traditional attire and then saw him as frontier Mickey...thinking that this may be easier to explain to a small child.

My family had an awesome experience the last time we were in the MK. We were all taken to a room next to first aid where we had a one on one photo session with Minnie. When we ended, the greeter said that "Minnie had to leave, It was almost her cue for the show". We didn't understand at the time but when we walked out, Minnie was on stage for one of the shows. My son said..HEY THERE SHE IS! and thanks to the greeter we could say that she slipped right out and up on stage...the magic of Disney!

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-25-2014, 01:41 PM
My family had an awesome experience the last time we were in the MK. We were all taken to a room next to first aid where we had a one on one photo session with Minnie. When we ended, the greeter said that "Minnie had to leave, It was almost her cue for the show". We didn't understand at the time but when we walked out, Minnie was on stage for one of the shows. My son said..HEY THERE SHE IS! and thanks to the greeter we could say that she slipped right out and up on stage...the magic of Disney!

Stories like this really make the magic of Disney real! I love it.

natedog24
03-25-2014, 11:17 PM
One of first days new Cast Members have is a class called "Disney Traditions". I remember the instructor I had for this class asked the question: How many Mickey Mouses are there?

I remember nearly everyone in the room was counting in their heads, and volunteering guesses for the number of "Mickeys" they could think of... Frontier Mickey, Sorcerer Mickey, Safari Mickey, Farmer Mickey, etc... After a few guesses, the instructor stopped us and said "There is only one Mickey Mouse".

While Mickey may wear a lot of different outfits, depending on the day, time, and where you are. Remember, there will always be just one Mickey Mouse.

:balloon:

Main Street Jim
03-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Along the same lines:

Did you know that Minnie's wardrobe (different costumes) is bigger than Mickey's? :)

Minnie has over 300 different costumes, while Mickey has about 290.

#1donaldfan
03-26-2014, 12:12 PM
No. There is no way. Like mentioned, just the breakfast logistics alone would be a nightmare. :mickey:

azcavalier
03-26-2014, 02:31 PM
My wife told me last night that this info came from someone who had worked there and attended Disney University (or some such thing). I wonder if she misunderstood since it obviously can't be correct.

Main Street Jim
03-26-2014, 05:19 PM
My wife told me last night that this info came from someone who had worked there and attended Disney University (or some such thing). I wonder if she misunderstood since it obviously can't be correct.Not misunderstood at all. At DU, during Traditions, we are/were told that there is *indeed* "only one Mickey Mouse".

Now...as adults...we all know better than that.

I don't want to "ruin the magic" with any more info :)

Ian
03-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Not true. In fact, my kids noticed last trip that Mickey was meeting and greeting folks at Expo Hall in the Magic Kingdom and had somehow beaten us to the Garden Grill and changed his clothes to be ready to meet us for dinner. ;)

natedog24
03-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Not misunderstood at all. At DU, during Traditions, we are/were told that there is *indeed* "only one Mickey Mouse".

Now...as adults...we all know better than that.

I don't want to "ruin the magic" with any more info :)

Very true. As a castmember, if someone asked me about how many Mickeys there are or how many "Friends of Mickeys" there are... I would tell them there's one. Especially if I'm "on stage".
It seems like some folks on the board have figured out just how improbable that is. Given the fact he's at so many character meals, meet & greets, and shows at seemingly the same time.
It's a nice myth/story to tell guests, but in actuality, it's pretty impossible...
(Of course, Mickey has been known to do the impossible) ;)

DKA041177
03-27-2014, 09:04 AM
First off, I love the fact that your family sounds to be exactly like mine in terms of books, movies, Disney stuff, etc. We love it! I also have heard folks say that about Mickey, and I too think that the reality is in the local park level no more than 1 Mickey is out at the same time.

Keep the magic alive! :mickey:

Main Street Jim
03-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Of course, Mickey has been known to do the impossible ;)Because, as Walt famously said, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." :mickey:

joonyer
03-31-2014, 03:12 PM
And Santa Claus is never in more than one mall at a time either. ;);)