PDA

View Full Version : College Program?

buzznwoodysmom
03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
My niece is interested in applying for the College Program next year. Her parents asked me if I knew what the discounts were like for CP CMs. I am not sure, but I know someone here will know. :D

So what kind of room discounts do they get? And what are the ticket discounts?

natedog24
03-24-2014, 01:08 PM
It's been several years for me... but when I was in the College Program, the room discounts were pretty good - I believe they capped at either 40% or 45% off the rack rate. I remember it was at least 40%, but it's been a little while... That depended on the resort, and the capacity level for the days you were looking at. I did it a few times, and the rate did indeed vary between trips. One time my family got CBR at 35% off, then another visit they stayed at AKL at the max % off - like I said, I don't remember if it was 40 or 45%.

I (the CP CM) had to call a reservation number, tell them the resort and the days, and then they would tell me what the discount would be. I then would have to give the CM on the phone a credit card # to hold the reservation, and the guest would pay the balance when they arrived. One thing that was annoying was that the day before my guests arrived, I had to physically go to the resort and show them my park ID and verify I still worked there. I guess that prevents people from making a ton of discounted resort reservations for the future right before they quit.

That was about 10 years ago, but maybe their system has been updated since then.

The other discounts we got were 20% off merchandise and restaurants (NOT the Dining Plan - just paying out of pocket).

The park ticket discounts were pretty much non-existent. My parents got a better discount using AAA than what I could get them. We did get 2 free 1-day park passes when we started, but those don't go far when you have a few different family members staying for a week....

I'd encourage anyone to do the program (for reasons more than the discounts or the minimal pay). Even 10 years later, I still think of that time as one of the most fun 6 month periods of my life. You learn a lot of life skills and having WDW on a resume if something most everyone wants to talk about in an interview. :thumbsup:

Zippy 1
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
My DD 19 is in the process of enrolling in the program for culinary. She is so excited about working in the restaurants. We haven't gotten far enough in to find out about discounts. Didn't realize this was a perk.

medic9016
03-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Our daughter is there now. She just made our reservations @ 1/2 off for room only. I think she said if we want the dining plan it was $32per person. There is a merchandise discount but I do not remember what she said.

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I'd encourage anyone to do the program (for reasons more than the discounts or the minimal pay). Even 10 years later, I still think of that time as one of the most fun 6 month periods of my life. You learn a lot of life skills and having WDW on a resume if something most everyone wants to talk about in an interview. :thumbsup:

She is definitely interested in the CP for more than just the discounts, lol. Her parents were just asking me if I knew what they could expect as far as discounts since they would want to go visit during her time in Disney. If she gets accepted, of course.

natedog24
03-25-2014, 05:35 PM
She is definitely interested in the CP for more than just the discounts, lol. Her parents were just asking me if I knew what they could expect as far as discounts since they would want to go visit during her time in Disney. If she gets accepted, of course.

LOL - If her experience is anything like mine, she can expect a lot of visitors! It was funny, when I was a CP, I had family/friends visiting me at least once a month, but a year later I had an internship in Texas and no one came to visit me there! I could never figure out why people wanted to visit me in Orlando, but not in Texas... :wave: ;)

momef3grls
03-27-2014, 04:22 PM
My DD did the program for culinary and she received a discount of 50percent if she stayed in the room with us or friends/family of 45 percent. When I came to bring her home we cashed in on the BC(so loved it and was spoiled :cloud9:) and the dining plan was also available at a reduced rate. The following year we came down for a girls week for my youngest sweet 16 and again cashed in on the 50 and dining plan. It was so great. Now looking to her friend who got hired by the Mouse for our trip in 2 years for a friends and family rate.