PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Sell me on TSM

Bruegge
03-22-2014, 12:02 PM
I've never rode it... this I Know:

It's one of the longest lines in the parks, it's a 3D arcade type game/ride.. It keeps score.. It's well Themed.

If I'm not in to arcade games should I skip this? Do you guys consider it a "do not miss" attraction?
I looked at the youtube video and ...well... I wasn't all that impressed... am I the only one?

With the FP+ tiers in DHS I'm finding it hard to use my "E" ticket pick for this over RnC . However...If I do go and try it... I don't want to wait 70 minutes for a ride I don't think I'll "love" ..

All input would be great!!

yankeesfan123
03-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, you'd either need to use your top tier FP or get there at park opening, which I'm sure you know.

My friends and I, all 20-something's, love it.

My mother could care less. She thought the 3D was great and enjoyed the extra effects and found it very/intuitive, but it's just not her thing.

Lots of people are going to tell you it's awesome and a can't miss, but in reality, all attractions are subjective when it comes to personal taste.

My advice: try it if you get there at park opening. If not, don't waste your FP on it if you know it will mean missing something you know you love.

SBETigg
03-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Do you like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin? This is like that, in a way, though also very different, way more fun for me. You use a pop gun device, not a laser. You're taken rapidly through shooting galleries and there's some spinny action with the vehicle (but you don't manually spin it, as you do in the Buzz ride). I'm not really an arcade game fan, but this is one of my new favorites in DHS and it does make my list of top must-do attractions. When my husband and I do this together, we compete and we always end up laughing together, big silly uncontrollable laughter, and what's better than that?

If you're traveling alone, probably very skippable. But if you're with a partner or with family, especially if you break down neatly into pairs, then I think this is a must do. I would definitely prioritize it and not even think twice.

Tower of Terror queue always goes through pretty quickly and if you catch it early, no need to FP. Rock N Roller Coaster, you could use an FP but you can also break down into Single Riders when the line gets long enough that they're open to that. But, if you don't FP this one and hit it early, like first thing at park opening, you'll also be okay without FP- and the queue is one I hate to miss because it's so well done, lots to look at.

yankeesfan123
03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
And ToT isn't in the top tier with RnRR and TSM!

disneymom15
03-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Omg, I love this ride. It's a can't miss for us. I'm 54 and husband is 55 and we have so much fun, we're very competitive when it comes to this ride. We ride as often as we can.

texas211
03-22-2014, 05:12 PM
TSM is worth a full, 1.5 hr wait. So, yes go.

But we do, is the wife heads for TSM to get a fastpass then go to our #1 ride first. TSM, even right away, FP will be lunchtime or later.

MargaretMessler
03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
It doesn't sound like it is really ever going to be your favorite go-to ride, but if you can get there are park open and wait in a minimal line...I say you should try it once.

I am not a HUGE game fan, but I thought it was loads of fun. As did my 68 year old mother and my 38 year old BFF.

Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide!

yankeesfan123
03-22-2014, 06:37 PM

But we do, is the wife heads for TSM to get a fastpass then go to our #1 ride first. TSM, even right away, FP will be lunchtime or later.

I think this poster needs an update....

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Give it a try. It is fun, I know my whole family of various ages enjoys it. But then, I think most people should try every ride at least once.

Book a FP+ for TSMM, and go to RnR first thing in the am, and there won't be too much of a wait for either.

Scallywag
03-22-2014, 09:19 PM
This ride is in my top 5...:yay:

natedog24
03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Is it a fun ride? Yes!
Is it the best attraction ever? Mehh...

I think if the same ride was in Magic Kingdom, there wouldn't be nearly as much desire to go on it. In my opinion the things that help the attraction are lack of other attractions in DHS and TSM is still newer than most attractions in DHS.

It kind of reminds me of Buzz Lightyear, both in gameplay and in demand. The first few years after Buzz Lightyear opened, it always had a wicked long line. Now, for the most part, you can walk on it with minimal line.

TSM is a good ride, but I don't see it being "timeless" like Peter Pan or anything. I'm guessing in a few years, the average wait time for TSM attraction will be significantly shorter.

PirateLover
03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
We love it because it's competitive and we love arcade games. I have a smile on my face the entire time. That being said, if you don't enjoy games and are not someone who enjoys some spirited competition, it's probably not going to be as fun for you. I say it's worth it to check it out at least once, though. You never know until you try!

CaptSmee
03-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Nothing is worth a 90 minute wait IMHO. Get there early or use a FP+. It's like an advanced version of buzz light year space ranger spin. RNR will surely have a shorter line out of the two

DKA041177
03-23-2014, 02:03 PM
I enjoy the ride and find it to be very fun. However, I would not wait in line for multiple hours (although many do)!!

JerseyDad
03-23-2014, 02:04 PM
......not worth the long wait

......and ..regardless of wait time ....I think it's way overrated. Gun mechanism is tedious to use ....and the 'jerkiness' and spinning action can cause motion-sickness like issues.

yankeesfan123
03-23-2014, 02:37 PM

......and ..regardless of wait time ....I think it's way overrated. Gun mechanism is tedious to use ....and the 'jerkiness' and spinning action can cause motion-sickness like issues.

I have found the shooting mechanism very easy for anyone of any age to use. It's very intuitive and simple. Plus, there's a practice game to teach you how.

However, I do agree on the jerkiness/motion sickness issues. I've has family members tell me they felt a little motion sick after riding, but nothing like Body Wars/Mission Space. They all went on again and didn't find the sick feeling to overbearing, but it did exist.

JerseyDad
03-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I have found the shooting mechanism very easy for anyone of any age to use. It's very intuitive and simple. Plus, there's a practice game to teach you how.

However, I do agree on the jerkiness/motion sickness issues. I've has family members tell me they felt a little motion sick after riding, but nothing like Body Wars/Mission Space. They all went on again and didn't find the sick feeling to overbearing, but it did exist.

.....we waited 2 yrs to go on TSM ....and only did it due to having FP+ last August. My wife was 'green' when she got off the ride. It was almost as bad as her experience on the Back to the Future fide that was at Universal.

.....we did it once ....and that's enough.

MNNHFLTX
03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
It doesn't sound like it is really ever going to be your favorite go-to ride, but if you can get there are park open and wait in a minimal line...I say you should try it once.
This is my recommendation also. I think this ride is loads of fun, especially if you have a ride partner!

Janmac
03-23-2014, 08:47 PM
If you enjoy Buzz Lightyear, don't go on Toy Story because Toy Story will ruin Buzz for you.

I am not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination but I am competitive. I love to ride this with my sister (we both have grandkids so we're not kids, at least chronologically). She scores very high on accuracy while I blow her out of the water with total points (and my accuracy is abysmal). We have a lot of fun with that. The sight gags are fun, as well.

Here's the thing: RnRC can usually be ridden first thing without much wait. And you know you like that. ToT - if that's on your list - is a tier two.

Using your tier 1 fp+ is almost like having a free chance to try a ride you may or may not like. In other words, which is worse - waiting over 30 minutes for a ride you didn't care for or using a fp+ for a ride you wind up not caring for. Which is a greater investment to lose?

As for motion sickness - I personally know of no one who is more prone to motion sickness than my sister or her daughter and neither would pass on Toy Story.

You never know til you try it. And you sure don't gotta do it again if you don't like it.

Jan

texas211
03-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Well, i know there is the FP+. Didn't use any FP our last trip. Didn't even go to DHS last 2 trips.

But, I am saying I'd wait a long time for the ride. For the right ride, i'd wait 1-1.5 hrs. I remember doing so as a kid.

TSM is one of those rides. I'd wait for Star Tours, Soarin, Splash Mountain, Fantasmic, and Nemo Musical if I had to.

Tigerinvestigator
03-24-2014, 08:01 AM
We usually wait until just before park closing and get in the standby line. We rarely have to wait anywhere close to the time posted on the standby sign, but find the queue is one of the better and best themed at WDW. If you are a big Toy Story or Pixar fan it is a "must-do". The ride itself is fun and pretty much forces you to be competitive.:thumbsup:

Terra
03-24-2014, 10:20 AM

This was more of my feelings. I was really excited for it. And while it was fun, I didn't quite understand the all the hype.

I would do it as a FP+, but would not wait for it.

JerseyDad
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
This was more of my feelings. I was really excited for it. And while it was fun, I didn't quite understand the all the hype.

I would do it as a FP+, but would not wait for it.

....yeah ...it was a quite a letdown after waiting for 2 yrs to get on it.

....think I decided that I like Buzz Light-Year better as an interactive ride.

cer
03-24-2014, 01:29 PM
What I like about TSM, is that you can see the shots being fired from your device and so you can aim. Also, I love that the items you "hit" respond to your shot. I love that it is 3-D and so the rocket you just hit looks as if it is coming right over your head and the coolest element of the attraction that I did not notice right away, is that rocket I just hit and that zoomed over my head blew my hair as it passed by and THAT is what makes it a remarkable attraction.

If you have not been on it before, do it, you will know what it is like and then can decide for yourself.

Fast Pass plus which ever one you want to, but go early and get the other one so that you don't miss out on anything.

Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

thejens
03-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I generally am bored with video games and do not like Buzz, but I love TSM. I would not wait more than 30 minutes or so for ANY ride. Our stratgey, before FPP, was to head to TS first, get FP and get into standby time which is not long if you get there at opening. I really like it. It's fun and cute.

On the other hand I agree with the poster who said that it is popular largely because there is not so much exciting at HS. I do not really love TT and have never done RR and other than Star Tours there is not much at this park that is a "must do."

You definitely need to try TSM!!

Scrappy2
03-27-2014, 09:07 AM
I say ride it once. Everyone should try a ride once and decide for themselves if they love it. Everyone's option is different. I love as much or more than the kids. My husband can take it or leave it. He loves RRC but that is a take it or leave it ride for me.

Ian
03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
<dons flame retardant suit>

I'm sorry, but I think TSM is by far the most overrated Disney theme park attraction in history.

Don't get me wrong ... I mean it's cute and mildly entertaining ... but the mass hysteria over it and the crazy lines and the running through the parks to get Fastpasses and all that? I don't get it. :shrug:

Hammer
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I think TSM is by far the most overrated Disney theme park attraction in history.

Don't get me wrong ... I mean it's cute and mildly entertaining ... but the mass hysteria over it and the crazy lines and the running through the parks to get Fastpasses and all that? I don't get it. :shrug:

I agree with Ian :jaw: . I enjoy the ride, but do not get all the hype for it. As I've stated in previous posts on Intercot, no one in my family is a morning person, especially on vacation. We almost never get to a park at its opening. By the time we would get to DHS, there were never any fastpasses left for TSM. We booked it as part of Fastpass+ last October and that was only the 3rd time we rode it. It's cute and all that, but not worth all the aggravation there is just to get to ride it.

cer
03-27-2014, 01:21 PM

I think, like someone earlier in this thread mentioned, the hype has a lot to do with the park it is in and not the attraction itself (and I do like the attraction). There is very little entirely family friendly rides in that park and I think this attraction appeals to most. I can't get everyone to go on RRC or ToT and the Great Movie Ride is ok, but doesn't appeal to everyone, we do like Star Tours, and rarely waste time on the Backlot Tours, we have done the shows....there is just not much else.... I don't know, maybe I am not being fair to DHS.

Take the attraction and put it in MK, there would be much less hype. Don't you think that is the reason why it has a reasonable standby line on the west coast?

I still say it is an attraction worth experiencing and would never advise someone who has not experienced it to skip it. I would not commit to a ridiculouse standby line for it, but if you can get fp+ or ride early, yeah, I'd recommend it.

Goes4FastPass
03-28-2014, 12:02 PM
It's a good attraction.

People who don't ride it make the line shorter.