PDA

View Full Version : Why Disney Why?????

Pooh Fan
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't know if today was just the release date in Canada for Frozen and Saving Mr. Banks or if it was released on a bigger scale but I just don't get it! I entered the store happy and optimistic but was soon frustrated by one of those things that my brain just can't understand. Why can I not by a Blueray + DVD + Digital Download combo pack of Saving Mr. Banks? Is this a "perk" of being Canadian or is it the same everywhere. There it was on the shelf, Blueray + Digital Download OR DVD. And right beside it was every other movie being released today that had a combo pack available EXCEPT the one I wanted! The clerk tried to tell me Disney doesn't do combo packs. :mad: As politely as I could without blowing a gasket I showed him the word "Disney" on the Frozen combo pack sitting next to Saving Mr. Banks. I think I get so frustrated as I don't want to think that they are doing this for no other reason then to take and extra $20 out of my pocket but what other explanation could there be! :confused:

DizneyRox
03-18-2014, 05:28 PM
It's all about protecting their existing business model.

I only deal with digital these days. The higher definition the better, I convert down to whatever I need to play on. Most everything is HD capable anyway.

Fairly simple process to put things on DVD.

brownie
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I think they're doing away with the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital combos. Thor the Dark World didn't include DVD with the Blu-Ray either.

1DisneyNut
03-18-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm scratching my head wondering why on Earth you would want both but I guess if they sell them in packs like that there must be a market for it.

I would just buy the BlueRay and digital download and burn the digital download copy to a dvd. Convert to DVD format prior to burning if necessary.

I have no idea but just off the top of my head, if the sales associate said Disney doesn't do the combo packs, a possible reason why Frozen is in a combo pack is because it is technically a Pixar movie. I know Disney bought Pixar but they are still sort of their own thing and that is why Frozen is such a well done movie. They are really good at the digital animation and that is why Disney bought them.

joonyer
03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
. . . . I have no idea but just off the top of my head, if the sales associate said Disney doesn't do the combo packs, a possible reason why Frozen is in a combo pack is because it is technically a Pixar movie. I know Disney bought Pixar but they are still sort of their own thing and that is why Frozen is such a well done movie. They are really good at the digital animation and that is why Disney bought them.

Except that "Frozen" is not a Pixar movie.

BrerGnat
03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
There is likely little demand for all three formats at once. Either you have a blu ray player or you don't. If you do, why do you need a DVD? Frankly, I'd rather just pay $20 for the format I need, rather than $30 and end up with a dvd that never gets taken out of the case.

azcavalier
03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
There is likely little demand for all three formats at once. Either you have a blu ray player or you don't. If you do, why do you need a DVD? Frankly, I'd rather just pay $20 for the format I need, rather than $30 and end up with a dvd that never gets taken out of the case.

Blu ray for home, DVD for portable usage, such as in cars or laptops (many of which still don't include Blu ray players, such as every Apple product). Yes, you could put a digital copy on a laptop, but not in a car's DVD player for a trip with your little ones!

BrerGnat
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Blu ray for home, DVD for portable usage, such as in cars or laptops (many of which still don't include Blu ray players, such as every Apple product). Yes, you could put a digital copy on a laptop, but not in a car's DVD player for a trip with your little ones!

Well, I can admit I didn't really think about the portable dvd player in the car angle. I am surprised those still exist. We are fully digital at this point. Kids have an ipod touch, Galaxy tablet, and old Galaxy phone and their movies are loaded on all those for portable use.

lawgirl
03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm with you. My parents still have a DVD player, while we have a Blu Ray / Digital everything. So I just give them the DVD out of the pack, and everyone's happy! Feel your frustration!

DizneyRox
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
At first it was incentive to people, if you had a DVD player, but not a BluRay, you would have the HD version when you upgraded. It was used I think to push BluRay adoption. Now, that's not necessary. In fact I bet people did like was mentioned, keep the BluRay and give the DVD to someone else.

This solves that "problem", need to buy two copies if you want both formats. Pay the piper.

PirateLover
03-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Yup, they seem to be doing away with the BluRay/Dvd/digital combos. For us, we did make the most out of the combos. We have a BluRay but some of our family and friends do not, so if we wanted to bring a movie over for a get together or lend it out, having the DVD option was nice. Also, I use the DVDS a lot on my laptop. I don't like downloading every movie. On the other hand, I was just thinking today that I wish they sold digital album combos with CDs. I still like purchasing an actual CD but I listen to most of my music on my iPhone, so I'd prefer to skip a step and just be able to enter a code to download after I purchase the actual CD.

brownie
03-19-2014, 01:02 PM

This is why I like the BD/DVD combos. And we still have DVD players at home in addition to the VD players.

Arielfan98
03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
I live in the highest taxed county in the U.S. These prices and demands do not surprise me. Just another business scheme.

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
I like the combo packs, and haven't noticed them cutting down on them until this post. All of my most recent Disney purchases, including even a month ago have all been the Blu Ray DVD Digital combos. The employee was obviously clueless in what they were saying, I am more surprised when workers know what they are talking about than I am when they don't. But anyway, I don't know why anyone cares why someone needs a combo pack of all three, if that is your preference. Anyway, I know I have a DVD player at home, I barely watch anything through digital download really, but DBF has a blu ray player. So personally, I also prefer the combo packs. I hope to be shopping soon and will see what version is available around here. I am hoping it's the combo pack as well.

1DisneyNut
03-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Except that "Frozen" is not a Pixar movie.

Dang you are right. Some reason I had it in my head it was Pixar. Disney did a pretty good job with that one.

Pooh Fan
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I now feel more HAPPY that this is the most responses I've ever generated with a post that FRUSTRATED about my original issue! :mickey: Maybe that's the real magic of INTERCOT. :rocks:
Thanks Everyone!