PDA

View Full Version : Virus on my Cell Phone?

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-16-2014, 10:03 AM
There is something on my phone and I'm not sure if it's a virus or spyware or whatever. About half the time I go to do something on my phone, it goes to the app mall on its own. What could that be and how do I get it off my phone?

Thanks! :mickey:

Itchy
03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I am not sure whether you have an android phone or I phone.

You can look for a free app to download for virus and spyware.

You could also take it to your provider store to see if a tech there could help you.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

DizneyRox
03-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Android is a big target for virus/malware. IPhone not so much and you'd probably have to be jailbroken. I've never seen a virus though for an iDevice.

You can see about going back to stock (google should help) or head back to the store. My touchscreen is pretty sensitive and often seems possessed.

With everything I do on my phone, I have yet to be hit with a virus/malware. I don't install something I don't get from a source I know/trust however. I'm not going to install Flappy Bird because someone says it's a cool game.

1DisneyNut
03-16-2014, 10:44 PM
There aren't really very many viruses for either. There are a few Malware running around but nearly always require you to install them in some fashion. Either they are installed through installing pirated/unofficial software/apps from an unofficial app store or they are downloaded to the phone through an email designed to trick you into clicking a link which downloads a malware that is disguised as some sort of "software update" for your device. The fake update still requires you to click on it to install and many people fall for it since it appears to be an update. The most common example of this type of malware for Android is called "software.update.apk"

For Android, you can go to the play store and download the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware. Run it and it will find most any Malware or Virus and kill/remove it. The safest thing to do if you are fairly certain you have been infected, however; is do a complete factory reset on your device and then just set it back up and reinstall your apps from the app store and restore your contacts just like you did when it was brand new. Just make sure you have saved and backed up all pictures, documents and contacts prior to doing the reset.

wellsm
03-17-2014, 09:20 AM
If you have an android phone it is likely you have some sort of malware.

(I won't get into a platform discussion, but if you have an iPhone it is very UNlikely you have a virus.)

I recommend using this software: Sophos

It can help you get clean and stay clean. Also update to the latest version available for your phone. Unfortunately, for many android devices the latest version is not available for your device. Do the best you can.

kakn7294
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm not going to install Flappy Bird because someone says it's a cool game.

Since Flappy Bird is no longer available via the app store, it doesn't matter how many people tell you it's a cool game - you're not able to install it.

DizneyRox
03-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Since Flappy Bird is no longer available via the app store, it doesn't matter how many people tell you it's a cool game - you're not able to install it.
Android phones are not restricted to an app store like an unjailbroken iDevice. You can send files via email, etc. Sending an unsuspecting victim a file called FlappyBird.apk might catch a few people..

And it's true, you can still install and play real FlappyBird on an Android device, just can't get it from the Google Play store.

kakn7294
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Android phones are not restricted to an app store like an unjailbroken iDevice. You can send files via email, etc. Sending an unsuspecting victim a file called FlappyBird.apk might catch a few people..I just wanted to poke at you a bit. Even a non-jailbroken iphone can be circumvented. I know how so I could still install Flappy Birds on mine if I so chose...