PDA

View Full Version : Important FYI Regarding Packet Pick-Up

Melanie
03-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Not sure how long this has been on the runDisney website, but I just became aware today of a new rule for all races from Disneyland Half Weekend on.

From the runDisney website:

YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR OWN PARTICIPANT PACKET (WHICH INCLUDES YOUR EVENT-ISSUED BIB NUMBER AND TIMING DEVICE) DURING REGULARLY SCHEDULED HOURS. Individuals will no longer be able to pick up participant packets on behalf of others.

While it may cause a bit of inconvenience for some, overall I think it's a great change. With the increased popularity of runDisney, there were unfortunately some folks out there buying bibs and then selling for a profit. Hopefully this will shut that kind of stuff down.

tinksmom02
03-12-2014, 09:53 PM
It wasn't on the website when registration opened for the Wine & Dine last week. My friend is kind of beat right now, as she's not landing until midnight Saturday am for the 7am Jingle Jungle. I emailed rD to see how they plan to address this--she can't be the only person who was planning on having a friend do pickup the day before.

I get why they're doing it, but the timing is off. My friend, at least, CANNOT take Fri off or even leave work early (hence the midnight WDW arrival).

Sigh.

Melanie
03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Yep, I knew it would be inconvenient for some who are legit, and it's a total shame. That's what happens when people abuse the system. We all get punished. I guess they had to implement at some time, and Tower of Terror is a smaller race and still quite far out.

Melanie
03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Turns out this is causing quite the stir in the runDisney world, and when I think about it, it probably should have been implemented with the race whose registration is getting ready to open up next (Avengers), instead of tacking it onto already opened and sold out races. Maybe they will have some accommodations for Tower of Terror, Disneyland Half and Wine & Dine, such as late night packet pick-up or day of race pick-up. But all races beyond that should be business as usual.

Again, I like the idea and totally understand why they are doing it. It's for the safety of the runners (so positive identification can occur if there is a problem) and to stop this ridiculous re-selling of bibs for a profit. Ugh, that makes me angry!

tinksmom02
03-13-2014, 10:31 AM
My friend called this morning and was told that there would be day-of race pickup (we're doing the Jingle Jungle 5k, so before the Expo opens that day). She was told the rD websites haven't been updated yet.

I agree with the policy, just not the timing. People planned based on what pickup was at registration, and now it's changed. But it sounds like they will attempt to accommodate those people.

Melanie
03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
:thumbsup:
my friend called this morning and was told that there would be day-of race pickup (we're doing the jingle jungle 5k, so before the expo opens that day). She was told the rd websites haven't been updated yet.

I agree with the policy, just not the timing. People planned based on what pickup was at registration, and now it's changed. But it sounds like they will attempt to accommodate those people.

Great news!:thumbsup: Thanks for updating us.

Christine
03-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I think day-of paket will become widely used and really don't understand why it's not been more of a presence in the last? They have you there SO early, there's plenty of time to do so!

tinksmom02
03-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Just as a follow-up, this is the email reply I got from runDisney this morning:

Christi,

We will be offereing bib pick up the morning of the race at Animal Kingdom. There she will be able to pick up her bib, but will have to return to the Expo to pick up her shirt.

Thank you,
runDisney

Melanie
03-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Okay, so bib only....must go to the Expo to get shirts. Makes sense!

Thanks for relaying your correspondence, Christi. :thumbsup:

tinksmom02
03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Okay, so bib only....must go to the Expo to get shirts. Makes sense!

Thanks for relaying your correspondence, Christi. :thumbsup:

Happy to help! This is my first rD event, but I wonder...do you think a lot of people who need to do day-of bib pick up, will skip the expo and forfeit their shirt? I haven't heard back from my friend about it yet, but it seems like that would take a big chunk out of our trip (and by our trip, I mean our :marg::beer: in Epcot!). Don't know how badly she wants that shirt.

Melanie
03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
To be honest, for just the 5K shirt (which isn't dry-fit like the others), it would be a maybe for me. I'd wait and see what the design is, and if she really likes it, then make the decision whether it's worth taking time out to get over there and get it.

tinksmom02
03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
This was posted on the runDisney blog on March 24:

We recently updated the Packet Pick-Up Policy for all runDisney events. In listening to your feedback after runDisney.com was updated, we understand it has caused travel concerns for some of our upcoming events that were already on sale or sold out.

To help you plan for these upcoming events and address your concerns around travel, we have delayed the implementation of the new policy for events that are already publicly on-sale.

The original Packet Pick-Up Policy is in effect for the following events, allowing you to pick-up packets for other runners using the appropriate Packet Pick-Up Authorization Form:
Expedition Everest® Challenge
Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10 Miler Weekend
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

The new Packet Pick-Up policy, requiring all runners to pick up their own packets goes into effect starting with the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland® Resort in November. This policy will also be in place for all runDisney events moving forward.

Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you soon at a runDisney race!

Glad they decided to implement the new policy with the future (as of this blog LOL) races. Runner pick up procedures have been changed back (at least on the W&D page), too.

Melanie
03-26-2014, 09:43 AM
This was the right thing to do.

tinksmom02
03-26-2014, 09:52 AM
This was the right thing to do.

I agree.

Melanie
03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Now everyone will be informed well in advance and can make adjustments. I still love the idea, but it wasn't right to spring on folks after registration.

Luv4WDW
06-14-2014, 08:47 PM
So I found a form that you can sign to have somebody else pick up your race packet for you today on the run Disney website. It is for the 2014 Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Has anybody heard anything about reversing this rule?

Melanie
06-14-2014, 09:09 PM
So I found a form that you can sign to have somebody else pick up your race packet for you today on the run Disney website. It is for the 2014 Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Has anybody heard anything about reversing this rule?

See the update in post about 4 up. The new policy will go into affect after Wine & Dine (Avengers).