PDA

View Full Version : What's new??

DJBMER
03-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Hello, Everyone!

We're planning our next trip for Feb 2015. And we haven't been to Disney for 8 years so I know a lot has changed. I'm seeing posts about magic bands, various apps, etc. We'll be staying on-site and want to take full advantage of all the new perks. Please feel free to leave me any and all suggestions to make our trip an extra special one as this will be the last one before my twin granddaughters graduation in May 2015 and head off to college.
Thank you!
Deb

BrowncatP
03-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Welcome. Help us help you. How long are you planning to stay in WDW. What type of resort are you thinking about? Value,Moderate,Deluxe. We would all like to help. :welcome:

Scallywag
03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Highly recommend the dining plan. It looks expensive, but it's worth it. You will get your $'s worth.:thumbsup:

DJBMER
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you!! We'll be staying at Animation for 6 nights. Can you tell me about the magic bands and how they work?

natedog24
03-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Magic Bands take the place of the old "Key to the World" cards that are your room key, park passes, credit card, dining credits, and enable you to get fastpasses. They use RFID (Radio Waves) and sensors to get into your room or pay for items. Basically, you just wave your band in front of the sensor in the park or on your resort door and you're good to go. You don't need anything else on you other than the band on your wrist

That by itself is great, however there's now the FastPass+ program that changed the game with the Magic Bands... Gone are the days of running from one side of the park to another to redeem/get a fastpass, giving your not used fastpasses to someone else, or getting stacks and stacks of paper fastpasses. Now, you'll need to sign up for fastpasses 60 days ahead of time, and you are limited to how many you can get per day and only get fastpasses for 1 park per day. There's a smartphone app you can use or use their online web portal. This changes how many of the "pros" attack the parks and most folks don't like the change.
You can google it to find out more detailed info, but that's the story at a high level.

Bruegge
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
I've been gone 7 years... Going in June 2014.

My advice is look at the first 20 or so topics of Theme Parks, Dining, Accommodations and Vacation Planning. Do one at a time.

If you see a subject or question you have (or one you didn't know you needed answered) click on it and read them. If someone adds to a post it moves back up to the top of the list.

Just watching (and asking your questions) will have you touring like an old pro come Feb

Scott

DJBMER
03-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Great responses! Thanks for all the help!!