PDA

View Full Version : Week of July 4th... Tips and Tricks

DisneyDawgette
03-07-2014, 01:31 PM
My birthday is July 3, and this year I have made up my mind that I will be in Disney World on my birthday- it's simply not up for debate! I know full well that this is a terrible time to go crowd-wise AND weather-wise, but it is hilariously outweighed by the amount that I want to go! That being said, my boyfriend and our mutual friend are not crowd people. Honestly, it doesn't bother me terribly, but I know that they would definitely be appreciative of any tips and tricks for alleviating crowd pressure.

Something I was considering was doing a tour. We talked about trying to do one while we were there in December, but they were booked relatively far out because of crowds around the holidays. I know that the July 4th week will not be much better, but has anyone done a tour this time of year? How was it? Does anyone have a favorite tour or two?

Any other tips and tricks for avoiding some of the crowds at this time would also be appreciated! We'll be spending my birthday in EPCOT, but otherwise we don't mind! We're AP holders, so we're not ever pushed for time! :)

Thanks for all the help as always!

minnie04
03-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I have never done any tours, but I have been there on the 4th of July (last year) and I can tell you, yes it was HOT & CROWDED, but being AP holders we were fine. We bounced in and out of the parks all day. Did the rides we like and took our time walking around. That is one of the reasons I renewed them this year. I love being able to come and go when we feel like it. I think it rained once, but it was over in 20 minutes. It got really muggy after the rain. Just dress light and you will be fine.

One tip would be to check for EMH. :mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
03-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Are you staying on site? If you are, and you're staying long enough, I'd suggest doing non-park activities when its hot. Do your resort stuff and downtown disney stuff when you won't be miserable in the heat. Really take advantage of those non-park locations. Also, look into a water park! :-) It may be crowded, but at least you'll be in the cool water.

We did a similar thing for my birthday (July 8) several years ago. On most days, we didn't enter the parks until around sunset.

EPCOT is the best park (for us) to be in when its super crowded. The pathways are so much larger.

I haven't taken any tours, so I can't offer much help there.

Be accommodating to your friends and try to plan the trip together. That will make it more enjoyable for everyone. Have fun!

NickD100
03-07-2014, 04:50 PM
If you are there just to hang out and enjoy, then you'll be fine. It's hot and sticky wet humid. So water parks/pools are a great option. If you get over to MK before morning opening, you can most likely get all the main rides done by noon. And then you can go back to the hotel for a nap or poolside. Then venture out to a park in the evenings (5ish or so). AK crowds usually die down around 3 or so. And Epcot holds crowds well. I had a blast last 4th of July at Typhoon Lagoon and Epcot for the evening. It was crowded but a lot of fun!!!! So festive seeing everyone celebrate and dress up for the 4th!!! I'm with you, go and have a great time on your birthday and the big 4th!!!!

Go Dawgs!!!!

joonyer
03-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Pray/hope for rain. If it rains, the crowds will thin out, and as long as there's no lightning, the attractions will all stay open. You'll already be wet from the sweaty humidity anyway, so just go with the flow. . . :D

stephicakes
03-09-2014, 07:56 AM
We were there last year on the 4th and it was packed. I believe MK closed due to maximum capacity in the early afternoon. We didn't even attempt it - we went to DD but it was still very crowded there. At BC there was not one lounge chair available by the pool... simply mobbed. Just pack your patience!! And allow for more time for transportation if traveling via the Disney buses.

Personally I wouldn't do a tour on that trip simply because the amount of people in the park may make for a hard time enjoying it (ie: seeing the things being discussed, not being distracted). But that is just me :)

We had a good time and are AP holders as well, but agreed we probably wouldn't go back this time of year simply because it was so crowded. That being said however, we never had a problem getting on all the rides. The CMs did a great job moving things along. Like others have said, just have a "Plan B" in mind if you need a break from the crowds at the parks. You will still have a great time!

Happy Planning for your birthday trip! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I've never seen it more crowded then the 4th,even Xmas. It is hot as mentioned.

Drink lots of water and have low expectations.

APs make it easier to swallow. Mostly because that means you've probably seen it all. Well see how this year's restriction on FP+ works on days such as the 4th. In years past, I've seen standby times on rides like Soarin and Test Track at 180 or even 240 minutes. Peter Pan isn't much better which is why we stayed away from MK at all costs on holidays.

AK is hotter than the other parks in the summer. Probably more humid if that's possible.

mudpuppysmom
03-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I've been there on the 4th also and it is more crowded than Christmas I swear! We went to MK to watch fireworks and it was so crowded you couldn't even move, literally! Hot, sticky and people with zero patience who all think they paid for this they are going to get their money's worth? That said, if you don't have to be in MK, maybe do a different park or watch MK fireworks from nearby resort. As previously stated stay hydrated and pack lots of patience. Have a wonderful birthday!!

DisneyDawgette
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks! I think we may avoid MK... We can go some other day! We'll be in EPCOT on my birthday (I just made reservations for Via Napoli!), so we were thinking maybe the AK in the day but I think maybe that would exacerbate the heat?

I don't have huge expectations for the fourth. We'll probably spend a good bit of time at the pool and maybe head to a park in the evening. :)

And backpack coolers = unlimited hydration! We carry two and I would highly recommend them to anyone going at any time of year! :D

KAJUNKING
03-13-2014, 05:08 PM
We are thinking about going that week as well, but only because we have ap and we are already off that week. So i figure even if we just go and people watch it will be worth the trip. i plan to spend more time at the resort than we normally would and maybe do a water park