PDA

View Full Version : Captain Edo??

Bruegge
03-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Never seen it at Epcot.

But Michael Jackson?? Is this a little dated?? I have not seen this except for a youtube video.

It looks pretty ...well... bad...

Love to hear what you guys think.

Just planning the June trip and want to see if any of the family will "miss out" if we pass this one by.

DD10, DD15 and DW and I. NO one is a MJ fan. DD10 likes thriller but no songs on the phone no posters of him on the wall etc.

BrerGnat
03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
It's a tribute. If you never saw the original, and are not MJ fans, skip it. However, it does have quite a lot of historical significance as the first 3D film of its kind. In its heyday, it was completely groundbreaking.

SBETigg
03-07-2014, 08:47 AM
This was an unexpected hit with my older teen kids when they saw it. Captain Eo, it is Michael Jackson's 80s classic. Entirely skippable, if you ask me. But they wanted to see it, even though they are not MJ fans, and they laughed the whole time. I think their final assessment was "the 80s were so weird!" Total cheesefest. If you're in the mood for some retro laughs, go. If not, I don't think you're missing much.

MNNHFLTX
03-07-2014, 10:11 AM
It's a tribute. If you never saw the original, and are not MJ fans, skip it. However, it does have quite a lot of historical significance as the first 3D film of its kind. In its heyday, it was completely groundbreaking.
Absolutely true. George Lucas was the producer, Francis Ford Coppola was the director and it was the most expensive movie (per minute) made at that time.

That said, it is cheesy, but nostalgic for those of us that saw it in its original run. I agree that you can probably skip it without feeling like you're missing anything. But if you have a little extra time and you're in the neighborhood, it might be worth checking out. View it as the icon of 80's pop culture that it is. ;)

1DisneyNut
03-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Since you have never seen it or the original run, I would go see it before it is gone. It is pretty cheesy as others have stated but it is part of history from the 80's and once it is gone this time, it will most likely never return again.

TinkerbellT421
03-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Like others said, it is really cheesy, however, I am a huge MJ fan so I always enjoy it for what it is. 80's nostalgic, even though I was born in the 80's I was always fascinated with that era. I enjoy it. Like someone else posted, definitely skipable, but I would see it if you are not strapped for time.

Main Street Jim
03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Don't forget Anjelica Huston as the evil queen ;)

AndrewJackson
03-07-2014, 08:26 PM
I love it. Classic 80s. Big hair, cheesy lines, and great music.

I took my teenage daughter and her friend a couple of years ago. They didn't get it. They looked at me like I was stupid. I enjoyed that as well. :D

DonaldDuckUSA
03-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Don't forget Anjelica Huston as the evil queen ;)

This is the best part! The whole thing was a bit dated, but the evil queen was actually awesome.

We saw it once and probably won't do it again. We're glad we saw it, but once was enough. I'd say if you're in the area and a shows about to start, go for it!

Melanie
03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Those fingernails!

natedog24
03-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't remember the original release (born in 1983), but I did see Captain EO during my last trip about a year ago and remember thinking, "That's 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back".
Like others have said, unless you liked it in the 1980's or you like MJ, don't waste your time...

Cinderelley
03-09-2014, 01:38 AM
DD10 likes thriller but no songs on the phone no posters of him on the wall etc.

I have never seen it, but this line made me laugh. Records, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, and now just on the phone.

LudwigVonDrake
03-09-2014, 11:42 AM
It's really dated and quite cheesy. If I don't see it I'm not broken up. It's time for something new and fresh in that spot :mickey:

Main Street Jim
03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
It's really dated and quite cheesy. If I don't see it I'm not broken up. It's time for something new and fresh in that spot :mickey:They had something "new and fresh in that spot" for 11 years, called "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience".

Hard to believe that Captain EO has LONG outlived its successor in that theater...(1986-1997, 2010-present)...

Captain EO is *great*. My wife, being born in 1985, doesn't "get it". But, it *was* ground-breaking cinematography in its day. Hooter, Fuzzball, Idey, Odie, Major and Minor Domo, and, of course, Captain EO provide an adventure through space that only Michael Jackson, Francis Ford Coppola, and George Lucas could pull off.

Melanie
03-09-2014, 02:06 PM
They had something "new and fresh in that spot" for 11 years, called "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience".

It needed something new and fresh in that spot then, and it wasn't EO.

I enjoyed it for what it was when it was there. I went back a few years ago and it's almost cringe worthy to me now. I will admit that the songs are quite nostalgic to me though.

It's time to move on, especially since it was billed as a short term 'tribute' to Michael when it re-opened. It's been almost 5 years since he's been gone. :unsure:

AndrewJackson
03-09-2014, 03:04 PM
They can't put something really good in that theatre. If they did, how bad would Journey Into Your imagination with Figment be then? ;)

DizneyFreak2002
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
They can't put something really good in that theatre. If they did, how bad would Journey Into Your imagination with Figment be then? ;)
Could it be any worse than it is now? LOL... :)

Gator
03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Ha! You called it Captain EDO! Sounds like its a mix of a old cheesy film mixed together with chessy jokes from Japanese chefs cooking up scallops.

princessesmom
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
We saw Captain EO when we were there last month. No one in the group had seen the original. We all thought it was terrible! So dated and we didn't get it at all. They really need to put something else in that theatre.

yankeesfan123
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm all for the rumor that's been floating around:

When/if that half of HS (basically everything from Echo Lake to Streets of America) gets demolished for "Lucasland/StarWarsville"...

Move Muppets into that theater (you have to gage an imagination to believe that puppets are real... Right?)