PDA

View Full Version : Soy-Free Food Options

Guinevere
03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi All,
We are returning to the World this May and can't wait. However DS has recently developed a Soy Intolerance/Allergy.
My biggest concern is DS is sensitive to all soy, including oil and lecithin. Has anyone been to the World with these extreme sensitivities that could share their experiences? I am finding many manufactures don't identify those two ingredients as soy, since the protein is removed and I worry they may list something as safe when it won't be for him. Of course I will mention this at all the eating establishments and cross check myself. But I would love to hear some good feedback to ease my worry, pre-trip. :)
I have read all the threads on food allergies, and am so relieved to find Disney really works with people. We experienced this on our last trip, with DD and a lactose intolerance, DH with banana, sesame, and a few other things, and my shellfish allergy.
Thanks in advance, these boards are always so wonderful!!

disneynarula
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I can't speak for a soy allergy but we have other food allergies. My only advice is to insist on speaking with a chef/manager. Especially:) in world showcase where English is a second launguage for some of the waitstaff, sometimes things are lost in translation. Counter service is a little trickier since most things are prepared off site but they have cards with ingredients lists. We have only had one poor experience, at the Backlot Express at Hollywood Studios. We were never exposed to something bad there they just did not have a dedicated fryer like most of the CS places. If you PM I can send you a link to a website that is helpful.

Guinevere
03-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Thank you so much! I pm'ed you.
I also found a great website called allergy mouse. They have a ton of info as well. :party:

chrim
03-10-2014, 01:41 AM
I don't know if this e-mail address is still active, but as of many years ago it was possible to request special information at WDW via here:
[email protected]

That is something I have used in the past since I too have an intolerance/allergy to soy.

At one point there were designated counter service locations in the parks serving food for people with specific allergies. At one point, for example, The Magic Kingdom Columbia Harbour House served a (not on the menu) soy-free, southern-style (Country Fried) chicken nuggets. I don't think they have soy free french fries. (I think WDW buys them par-cooked in soy oil then frozen then finishes them off locally in canola oil).

Keep in mind that the operations of tenant restaurants are often different from Disney operated restaurants. Most of the Downtown Disney restaurants, many at World Showcase (such as Mexico, France, Italy, and Japan), the Coronado Springs Resort, Swan & Dolphin Resort, and others are all not Disney operated. I had good luck in France (Chefs de France, where no chef came out to talk like Disney-chefs do, but the server claimed to check in the kitchen and get an all clear - which worked for me), and less good luck at the Swan (they needed several days advance notice) and Downtown Disney.

One tough thing are the pre-made salad dressings and sauces at most CS restaurants. It seems like the Heinz BBQ sauce in individual packets may be soy free. But many other sauces and dressings have soy. At TS restaurants, it may be easier to get the chef to make you something custom. Also, of course beware of the margarine served at most restaurants (even many in Deluxe resorts) in place of butter.

Thanks for the web site suggestion. I will check it out before my next trip.

Guinevere
03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't know if this e-mail address is still active, but as of many years ago it was possible to request special information at WDW via here:
[email protected]

That is something I have used in the past since I too have an intolerance/allergy to soy.

At one point there were designated counter service locations in the parks serving food for people with specific allergies. At one point, for example, The Magic Kingdom Columbia Harbour House served a (not on the menu) soy-free, southern-style (Country Fried) chicken nuggets. I don't think they have soy free french fries. (I think WDW buys them par-cooked in soy oil then frozen then finishes them off locally in canola oil).

Keep in mind that the operations of tenant restaurants are often different from Disney operated restaurants. Most of the Downtown Disney restaurants, many at World Showcase (such as Mexico, France, Italy, and Japan), the Coronado Springs Resort, Swan & Dolphin Resort, and others are all not Disney operated. I had good luck in France (Chefs de France, where no chef came out to talk like Disney-chefs do, but the server claimed to check in the kitchen and get an all clear - which worked for me), and less good luck at the Swan (they needed several days advance notice) and Downtown Disney.

One tough thing are the pre-made salad dressings and sauces at most CS restaurants. It seems like the Heinz BBQ sauce in individual packets may be soy free. But many other sauces and dressings have soy. At TS restaurants, it may be easier to get the chef to make you something custom. Also, of course beware of the margarine served at most restaurants (even many in Deluxe resorts) in place of butter.

Thanks for the web site suggestion. I will check it out before my next trip.

Thanks, I saw the special diets email address and think I will email them earlier than the website suggests. They seem to be a great help. As far as all the condiments, I think we will have to bring our own with us. Everything seems to have soybean oil and /or natural flavors(which are many times soy derived and we have problems with that as well)