PDA

View Full Version : Waitlist Questions

Gocubs
03-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Ok, needing some assistance from the experts out there.

My 7 month window opened this morning. I was looking for a 2 bedroom LV at BLT for 3 nights. only 2 of 3 nights were available so I had to "settle" for a 2 bedroom at the GF. We would love to stay at GF, but have some little ones and the walkway from the BLT is huge for us.

After those three nights we will be moving to a studio. We have some family staying with us that are leaving, so we don't kneed the 2 bedroom any longer. I can't call until Saturday to book this. We are wide open on where to go, maybe staying in MK area if available or to Kidani.

Here is my issue. This trip will exhaust our 2014 and 2015 points (I am even going to have to buy 20 more one time use points). I can call Saturday and finish my reservation as is with the 20 one time use points. If I waitlist BLT, that is 18 fewer points. Where will those refunded points go? If they are 2014 points I know I can bank them to 2015, but we arent making a trip so they will essentially be wasted. I also know that if I purchase the 20 one time use points it is final. I can't go back and reapply my 18 refunded points.

Does that make any sense? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks everyone!

VWL Mom
03-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Basically the only option would be to bank those 18 points if you were still within your banking timeframe. Unfortunately since you won't be traveling in 2015 use year they'd go to waste unless you tried to rent them.

You say your considering AKV for the second part of your stay, what if you flipped it and stayed at the 2 bdrm in AKV and then the studio at BLT? Would that avoid the extra 20 pt purchase?

Gocubs
03-05-2014, 01:02 PM
I considered that, but from what I can gather, the studio at BLT, GF, or even WL are much harder come by at the end of our trip as opposed to AKL.

I figured there was no way to avoid possibly losing the points. Attempting to rent them to someone was a good suggestion.

I guess I can wait a while before booking the 2nd leg of my trip, but I am worried of waiting too long and getting shut out.

Aurora
03-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't wait. The fact that one of your nights isn't available at BLT right at the 7-month window might mean there's more overall demand for your dates. LV rooms are usually the easiest to get at BLT because that's the majority of rooms.

Studios are always harder to get at 7 months, and WL has the fewest DVC rooms, so that makes it that much tougher there.

I'm more risk-averse to losing points than staying at my second or third choice, so I would waitlist the BLT 2-bedroom but make the ressie someplace where you would use fewer points, like BWV, where walking is an option to Epcot. Even that might be tough now because you're going during the Food and Wine fest, but no harm in trying.

Good luck!

Gocubs
03-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Am I placing too much value on the BLT walk path? I just like knowing I can leave at any time without waiting, even if it is a 10 minute walk. Most of our time will likely be spent at the MK. I realize that at the GFV I have boat and monorail access.

It is only for the first 3 nights of our trip, so not a huge deal overall. How is the GFV for little ones?