PDA

View Full Version : Crane at MK

DonaldsBFF
03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know the dates that this is up to take down the lights on Cinderella Castle?

AgentC
03-02-2014, 04:02 PM
It is up right now and scheduled to come down in late March. I do not believe they have announced an exact date.

03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know the dates that this is up to take down the lights on Cinderella Castle?

Lights have been down for a "long" time. Crane is being used for Castle "refurbishment" right now.

DonaldsBFF
03-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Do they do the refurb every year? If not how long are they up for lights?

03-02-2014, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=DonaldsBFF;2403247]Do they do the refurb every year? If not how long are they up for lights?[/QUOTE}]

"Normally", just a couple of weeks, depending on weather (and wind).

Not sure what they are doing to the Castle now, have heard a couple of rumors, but no confirmation. Never got to see last week what they were hoisting though. Would have given me some inkling (retired from 40 years in commercial construction) as to which rumor to believe.

Zippy 1
03-03-2014, 12:49 AM
When we were there in 2012 in February the crane was up. They were doing painting and such to the castle. Don't know if this is done yearly or not

Polynesian Dweller
03-03-2014, 05:01 PM
When we were there in 2012 in February the crane was up. They were doing painting and such to the castle. Don't know if this is done yearly or not

Refurb is not done every year. The castle 'bricks' are mostly fibre glass and like all materials need maintenance every now and then. Just putting up and taking down the lights every year is going to do a bit a damage over time.

03-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Refurb is not done every year. The castle 'bricks' are mostly fibre glass and like all materials need maintenance every now and then. Just putting up and taking down the lights every year is going to do a bit a damage over time.

A special blend of fiber-reinforced gypsum plaster, not fiberglass.

FWIW: I think (from what I've seen after park close) the current work is actually some interior reinforcement and refurbishment of the steel structure of the Castle, not necessarily exterior work, although not completely positive about that.

Polynesian Dweller
03-03-2014, 11:35 PM
A special blend of fiber-reinforced gypsum plaster, not fiberglass.

FWIW: I think (from what I've seen after park close) the current work is actually some interior reinforcement and refurbishment of the steel structure of the Castle, not necessarily exterior work, although not completely positive about that.

Good to know. I had only heard that they were plaster and fibreglass. Never hear about the gypsum plaster.

Bay Lake
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Saw on Monday that they were in baskets painting the tops of the of the castle. Seems like a darker blue, but that could be because it was wet and the other blue was older.

DKA041177
03-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I hate it when the crane is out! Hate not getting good, clear pictures.

Joannelet
03-12-2014, 10:53 PM
As of today they are painting all the blue SILVER!
I have no idea what they are doing and why!?

03-12-2014, 11:16 PM
As of today they are painting all the blue SILVER!
I have no idea what they are doing and why!?

Undercoating (base coat) before the blue. Supposedly makes the blue a better looking color. Like putting a special base coat on a car to make the actual color coat seem "deeper". At least that's what I heard.

KAJUNKING
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
i wonder if it has anything to do with the night time castle show? Maybe some paints show the projection better than others?