PDA

View Full Version : Resort for Limited Mobility?

merlinmagic4
03-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Hello :mickey: My mother used to join us on our Disney trips but hasn't come along since 2009 due to health issues. She seems like she might be interested in trying to come one more time. Any thoughts on what resort would require her to do the least amount of walking from entrance to rooms? Or is that something we request when we book her a room? She can't walk very far at all and I think it is unlikely she will rent a scooter outside of the parks. We will still stay offsite so would be dropping her off at the front of a resort when she was done in the parks. Right now I'm looking at the BoardWalk Villas studio for her. Any suggestions? Thanks:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Although you've mentioned not renting an ECV outside of the park, it might make the real difference to her trip. Plus, it is much cheaper to rent from an outside company, and then you have it with you whenever needed. You can rent some that disassemble, so you can take it in the car with you.

We love POFQ, and find that it is small. Especially if you book/request a room right in the centre of the resort, it is super close. Resorts like Wilderness Lodge, where everything is under one roof can also be good.

PETE FROM NYC
03-03-2014, 04:40 PM
DW and I are both handicapped. We have our own ECVs, and could not even think of doing WDW w/o the scooters.
I strongly recommend renting a scooter from an outside vendor. Its much cheaper, you have it 24/7, and all WDW transportation accepts them.
BTW, before I owned my own, I rented from Apple Scooters, they gave the best deal including free insurance, plus they deliver to your resort.
DW has had a scooter for over 19 years. We have stayed at All Star Music and Movies, and now we own DVC at Bay Lake Towers. Never had any problems at any of these resorts.

Scar
03-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Here's something to think about. With the exception of Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, the deluxe resorts have parking in front, and, depending on where the room is, it can be a long walk. The Moderate and Value resorts, and SSR and OKW have parking spread out around the resorts so you can get pretty close to most rooms.

merlinmagic4
03-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Thank you!! Great information, as always! :mickey: