PDA

View Full Version : Plans for moving to FL

Dsnygirl
03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi all...

Over the years, I have posted many times of our desire to move south... we have considered NC & FL, for the most part. NC got ruled out for various reasons over the years, and Florida has had to wait for just as many reasons.

But I believe we have finally gotten to a place where we are seriously planning a move, and just had to share the excitement!

Our oldest daughter really wants to finish HS here (she is finishing her sophomore yr right now & is very active in her drama group, so I can't blame her) so we are waiting on her... but that also gives us the time we need to get work done on our house, and for my DH to find the RIGHT job, not just A job to get us down there. (I am a nurse, so have to real concerns about finding work once we're locked into a time frame)

Our youngest daughter is in 7th grade, and would move tomorrow, is we could... we'll see how she feels as it all gets closer and more "real"! ;)

So... lots to consider, plan and work on.... but it's exciting! Finally!! :D

Melanie
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
We might be on the same track, Blythe, if we can get youngest DS on board. We are counting the days until my hubby retires from the military and we can go back home! If anything, these past almost 2 years in Virginia have solidified that Florida is OUR home. We're both from different places, so we were never really sure where we'd retire, until we lived in Tampa. We know it's right.

Our oldest is also a sophomore, so we just can't move him before he graduates. They've both moved enough. But if we can talk/bribe youngest into moving after his sophomore year...we're so there. If not, we're looking at 4 more years. DH can retire in 1.5 years, so that is actually another factor.

Anyway, best of luck getting prepared for the move. That's a big step for you guys. :)

BrerGnat
03-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Color me jealous! Good for you guys and I hope your plans work out sooner rather than later.

Strmchsr
03-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I'll look forward to having you in Florida, Blythe! It's a good place. And you won't have any problems finding work as a nurse. Here in the panhandle there's lots of demand for nurses. I think it's similar other places in Florida. Anything I can do to help, just give a shout.

disney obsessed
03-01-2014, 07:21 PM
More reasons for me to consider moving.......:cloud9:

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 11:10 AM
We might be on the same track, Blythe, if we can get youngest DS on board. We are counting the days until my hubby retires from the military and we can go back home! If anything, these past almost 2 years in Virginia have solidified that Florida is OUR home. We're both from different places, so we were never really sure where we'd retire, until we lived in Tampa. We know it's right.

Our oldest is also a sophomore, so we just can't move him before he graduates. They've both moved enough. But if we can talk/bribe youngest into moving after his sophomore year...we're so there. If not, we're looking at 4 more years. DH can retire in 1.5 years, so that is actually another factor.

Anyway, best of luck getting prepared for the move. That's a big step for you guys. :)

Mel, that's awesome! It'd be great to have you down there, too! We know quite a few people in the Tampa/Orlando area, and it seems the number keeps growing. (And after this winter, I think it will grow exponentially!! ;) )

Are you guys thinking Tampa area still? We have friends in Ruskin, and made quite a few trips out to Clearwater from Celebration... the traffic and congestion made us re-think our Tampa thoughts. Where were you guys there?

We're now thinking more of the Lake County area... I absolutely would LOVE to be close to the water, but I also know how much I am going to miss the hills/New England feel here at home, and having driven around Windermere and that whole area, I feel like we've found a mix of that and Florida. Plus, I want to be able to get to Disney, and I feel like if we lived too far away we'd never go like we want to. Of course, it all hinges on what Dan finds and where... but he'll target Disney and the Orlando area.

(and let me tell ya... if Disney wanted him sooner rather than later?? We'd be gone... our oldest would just have to deal. :D They're in a hiring frenzy right now, and it is KILLING me to be in "waiting mode"!!)

Good luck as you guys talk to your DS's... it'll be interesting to see what these next two years will hold for us both!!

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I'll look forward to having you in Florida, Blythe! It's a good place. And you won't have any problems finding work as a nurse. Here in the panhandle there's lots of demand for nurses. I think it's similar other places in Florida. Anything I can do to help, just give a shout.

Chris, thank you so much!! We might just end up with a serious Intercot contingent down your way one day!! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Good luck with all the planning, Blythe. We really enjoyed our many years in Florida--even without Disney World there's lots to see and do there, especially in Orlando!

As far as nursing jobs, I'm sure there will be plenty of openings. Having started out as a nurse in Orlando, I am partial to the Florida Hospital Health System. They have a very large teaching hospital in Orlando proper (this is where I worked), but there are also seven satellite medical centers in the area, including the one in Celebration. It really is a quality not-for-profit hospital network.

Melanie
03-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Are you guys thinking Tampa area still? We have friends in Ruskin, and made quite a few trips out to Clearwater from Celebration... the traffic and congestion made us re-think our Tampa thoughts. Where were you guys there?

We're now thinking more of the Lake County area... I absolutely would LOVE to be close to the water, but I also know how much I am going to miss the hills/New England feel here at home, and having driven around Windermere and that whole area, I feel like we've found a mix of that and Florida. Plus, I want to be able to get to Disney, and I feel like if we lived too far away we'd never go like we want to. Of course, it all hinges on what Dan finds and where... but he'll target Disney and the Orlando area.

(and let me tell ya... if Disney wanted him sooner rather than later?? We'd be gone... our oldest would just have to deal. :D They're in a hiring frenzy right now, and it is KILLING me to be in "waiting mode"!!)

Good luck as you guys talk to your DS's... it'll be interesting to see what these next two years will hold for us both!!

Traffic and congestion? hehe I guess that's all in one's perspective. After living in the DC area twice now, we can more than handle what central FL has to offer. :)

We lived east of Tampa, near Brandon, FL. It was an easy one hour drive from my front door to Disney property. I went as often as I could. As for where we'll land when we get back down, that depends on the job path my hubby takes. If he goes for a government job, we'll need to near Tampa and the base. If he branches out, which I think he'd prefer to do, we'd live nearer WDW. We've talked about Celebration, but our desire to have a pool and great lanai area will probably push us a tad further west. That's fine though, because we will be going to Tampa often for sporting events, to the base, etc. I doubt we'll look elsewhere.

We really don't have a desire to be that close to water. We enjoy it, but it's close enough wherever you are in the state to have weekends away when wanted. I will admit that when we lived there, I missed hills and different landscapes. I loved all the oaks with Spanish moss around the Tampa area as an alternative to palm trees. lol There are a lot of things that take getting used to, but it's worth it. :)

Melanie
03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Oh, and Blythe, being a native North Carolinian, just curious why NC got nixed. :D

AgentC
03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
We really don't have a desire to be that close to water. We enjoy it, but it's close enough wherever you are in the state to have weekends away when wanted. I will admit that when we lived there, I missed hills and different landscapes. I loved all the oaks with Spanish moss around the Tampa area as an alternative to palm trees. lol There are a lot of things that take getting used to, but it's worth it. :)

We have hills. Just not in Tampa. Where I live starts the hilly area but the problem is we don't have the same access to major roads as the Tampa and Orlando areas which can add a good 1/2 to your drives when you are stuck on a 2 lane road behind a row of dump trucks. :D Hernando, Citrus, Sumter, Marion and Lake counties all get you some hills. Not mountains by any means but some nice rolling hills.

For ease if getting to Orlando, the area Melanie lived in was one of the best. Brandon, Town & Country, Carrollwood, New Tampa, Wesley Chapel are all very convenient. My friends in Brandon go to Disney most every weekend in an hour or so.

Traffic wise the Orlando area and Tampa areas are pretty similar except Tampa traffic is more sporadic and commute based. Clearwater traffice (actually a lot of Pinellas country also the Gulf) has ad traffic simply because there are so few access points.

I have friends who live in Windermere and my aunt lives in Doctor Phillips. Lots of very nice developments on those areas.

Anything along the I4 belt and maybe 429 is good if you want to hit both Orlando and Tampa. There is really so much great stuff in Tampa. I like the Clermont area too. There are lots of great areas. I would take the time and really explore before you decide where to put down roots.

We ended up in Hernando simply because my parents lived here and we moved to be closer to them. Now I'd be hesitant to move because my kids are in a great elementary school but if I were going to move I'd want to some place with good access to both cities.

Melanie
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
We have hills. Just not in Tampa. Where I live starts the hilly area but the problem is we don't have the same access to major roads as the Tampa and Orlando areas which can add a good 1/2 to your drives when you are stuck on a 2 lane road behind a row of dump trucks. :D Hernando, Citrus, Sumter, Marion and Lake counties all get you some hills. Not mountains by any means but some nice rolling hills.

You are absolutely right, Cindy. How could I forget the drive up 75 by all the horse farms? Very pretty!

Main Street Jim
03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
The US 27/SR 50 corridor is not too bad (west of Orlando, in Clermont). Northwest of WDW, it's about a 1/2 hour away.

A bit south on US 27 is directly west of Disney, technically a Clermont address (I lived in that area for a few years). Right where US 27 intersects US 192. Nice area, not too crowded. 10-15 minute drive to WDW property.

Just south of that area is Davenport. Keep going south on 27 and you'll come to Haines City.

Straight south of Disney is Poinciana - pretty nice place. Only problem is, it's one way in and out of the town, and the two-lane road can get crowded.

Just east of WDW is Hunter's Creek at SR 417 and US 441. Nice, but expensive.

Southeast of WDW is Kissimmee. 20-30 minute drive to WDW. US 192 can get pretty crowded.

East of Kissimmee is St. Cloud. Still within a decent drive time of WDW.

Windermere is *very* expensive.

Terra
03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Great summary!!! We live in Lake Wales [not a bad town, small. Getting ready to move to Babson Park].

Clermont is building up a lot and many people love it!!!!

I love living in Florida!

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Oh, and Blythe, being a native North Carolinian, just curious why NC got nixed. :D

I didn't realize that! So I'll tread carefully.... ;)

Honestly, there wasn't any one reason... I did a TON of research before we made a trip to Charlotte to stay with friends of Dan's, to check the area out. (About 10 yrs ago) It just wasn't what we were expecting... having never researched an area before, we got totally caught up in what the Chamber of Commerce sells you, and were surprised by how different it was from what we expected. I was TOTALLY ready to move south, and convinced NC would give us the best of both worlds - but it just didn't feel right after our 5 or 6 days there.

So - I guess I should say Charlotte cancelled out NC for us - which isn't quite fair to the rest of NC. :blush: There are so many other areas we've never been, and would like to visit... but now, being 10yrs closer to retirement, we figure if we're going to move, we may as well move to where we think we'll end up in the long run, as well as where we know so many people. (and palm trees!! Don't forget the palm trees!! We need a palm tree smilie.... :D)

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 09:34 PM

For ease if getting to Orlando, the area Melanie lived in was one of the best. Brandon, Town & Country, Carrollwood, New Tampa, Wesley Chapel are all very convenient. My friends in Brandon go to Disney most every weekend in an hour or so.

Traffic wise the Orlando area and Tampa areas are pretty similar except Tampa traffic is more sporadic and commute based. Clearwater traffice (actually a lot of Pinellas country also the Gulf) has ad traffic simply because there are so few access points.

I have friends who live in Windermere and my aunt lives in Doctor Phillips. Lots of very nice developments on those areas.

Anything along the I4 belt and maybe 429 is good if you want to hit both Orlando and Tampa. There is really so much great stuff in Tampa. I like the Clermont area too. There are lots of great areas. I would take the time and really explore before you decide where to put down roots.

We ended up in Hernando simply because my parents lived here and we moved to be closer to them. Now I'd be hesitant to move because my kids are in a great elementary school but if I were going to move I'd want to some place with good access to both cities.

Cindy, thank you so much for all the great info!! We'll definitely be doing a LOT of exploring on our upcoming trips.... guessing that opportunities for Dan will be more plentiful in the areas surrounding Orlando, which is why we've started looking into Lake County... really like the idea of some hills and lakes. Fell in love with the little "downtown" area of Windermere, you could have convinced me I was somewhere in Massachusetts if I wasn't allowed to look TOO hard - but the prices - yikes! Some of the areas in south Windemere just north of Disney were great, and better priced... but we were warned off of the area d/t Orange County taking over the high school. So.... another reason we started looking outside of Orange County.

We have a LOT to learn - so keep it coming! :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Hey, that's fair. Funny thing is, I've always told hubby if we ended up back in NC, it would be Charlotte for sure. I grew up in Winston-Salem, but my mom is from the Charlotte area and I have a lot of family there. I love it, but it's exploded in development in the last 20 years. I've never cared for the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), but it has tons of northern transplants. But yes, NC pretty much has it all, and I've lived it all (college in the mountains, and seven years on the coast at Camp Lejeune), but I've done my time and family is no longer a draw there. James would move back in a heartbeat though.

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Traffic and congestion? hehe I guess that's all in one's perspective. After living in the DC area twice now, we can more than handle what central FL has to offer. :)

We lived east of Tampa, near Brandon, FL. It was an easy one hour drive from my front door to Disney property. I went as often as I could. As for where we'll land when we get back down, that depends on the job path my hubby takes. If he goes for a government job, we'll need to near Tampa and the base. If he branches out, which I think he'd prefer to do, we'd live nearer WDW. We've talked about Celebration, but our desire to have a pool and great lanai area will probably push us a tad further west. That's fine though, because we will be going to Tampa often for sporting events, to the base, etc. I doubt we'll look elsewhere.

Too true on the traffic... we don't have that kind of traffic here, so the idea of adding 30-45 to our commute just for traffic is a mind-bender. We didn't see anything crazy in central FL, just couldn't believe how long it took us to get around Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete. Holy smokes!!

Ditto on the pool/lanei... I figure if I'm going to make the big jump and go somewhere completely new, I want a bit of the fun that comes with it, too, and having a pool to relax in outside my living room is just one thing I so totally look forward to. :) So we're looking west/northwest of Celebration, too.

And the Spanish moss?? It's my absolute favorite... even more than palm trees. It's what made the SFRTH in MK my favorite "ride" for years... and when we discovered it our last two trips through Georgia, I just fell more in love. Had no idea it was in Florida, too... when we saw it everywhere in Feb that was such a clincher for me!! ;) I'm a total ocean girl, so would LOVE to be closer, but not with the tourist craziness that comes with it.... so, as long as I can get there within an hour or so for the occasional sunset dinner, I'll be good!! Escaping to Disney in 30 min or less is much more necessary for my sanity, I think!! :D

DonLefNY
03-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Come on down! For the past three years I've Snowbirded about 23 miles south of WDW and love it here. Give me a few years and I'll be full time here.

princessgirls
03-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Blythe!

This is exciting news!!!
The light is getting brighter on giving up on the snow and long winters!!!

I'm excited for you, and see how it all plays out.

Julie:mickey:

Hammer
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Traffic wise the Orlando area and Tampa areas are pretty similar except Tampa traffic is more sporadic and commute based. Clearwater traffic (actually a lot of Pinellas country also the Gulf) has ad traffic simply because there are so few access points.

The areas that Cindy listed are great areas. My Mom and the rest of my family live in South Tampa. It is older with beautiful homes, but it is expensive! My Mom lives in a condo on the Bayshore, but the rest of my family have single family homes. Their houses are lovely, but are on little plots of land. The pool area takes up most of the backyard. You can get more house and land for your money in the areas that Cindy mentioned.

Too true on the traffic... we don't have that kind of traffic here, so the idea of adding 30-45 to our commute just for traffic is a mind-bender. We didn't see anything crazy in central FL, just couldn't believe how long it took us to get around Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete. Holy smokes!!

Ditto on the pool/lanei... I figure if I'm going to make the big jump and go somewhere completely new, I want a bit of the fun that comes with it, too, and having a pool to relax in outside my living room is just one thing I so totally look forward to. :) So we're looking west/northwest of Celebration, too.

And the Spanish moss?? It's my absolute favorite... even more than palm trees. It's what made the SFRTH in MK my favorite "ride" for years... and when we discovered it our last two trips through Georgia, I just fell more in love. Had no idea it was in Florida, too... when we saw it everywhere in Feb that was such a clincher for me!! ;) I'm a total ocean girl, so would LOVE to be closer, but not with the tourist craziness that comes with it.... so, as long as I can get there within an hour or so for the occasional sunset dinner, I'll be good!! Escaping to Disney in 30 min or less is much more necessary for my sanity, I think!! :D

As was said by others, traffic is relative. Tampa is nothing compared to what I have in the Philly area! If I remember correctly the type of work your husband does, there are many opportunities in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area as well. Also, for your work, All Children's Hospital is in downtown St. Petersburg, which is acclaimed for it's NICU as well as its labor and delivery facilities.

DonLefNY
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
T.................

Straight south of Disney is Poinciana - pretty nice place. Only problem is, it's one way in and out of the town, and the two-lane road can get crowded.

True, but construction has just started on a second access road to the north and I-4. That'll help us a lot.

Dsnygirl
05-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies! We haven't zeroed in on one particular spot right now, but a big focus of ours is the Clermont area. I am guessing that for my DH, the Orlando area is going to be the biggest job draw - he is an engineer by schooling and spent many years on the production side of engineering... now, he is more project controls and finance, so I'm thinking/hoping it will be a good (and large enough) area for him to be searching. Plus, he can look at Disney - they have quite a number of jobs that seem to fit his skill set, so HUGE fingers-crossed on that one!! :fingers:

We like (no, LOVE) the idea of having lakes and hills... granted, they won't be the hills we are used to in Central NY, but for Florida, it'd be great... the schools seem to be well rated, although it's truly hard to tell, not fully understanding the measuring system Florida uses.

Our older daughter has become more interested in the opportunities an earlier move might offer her, so we're actually starting the job-hunt process for my DH now... and if he finds the right job, then we will consider a move within the next 6-8 mos... if not, if we hit Jan/Feb and there's not been much for him that works, then we'll wait another year, as I just don't think it'd be fair to pull our older daughter just as she finishes her Jr year.

So.... keep the information/advice coming... and if anyone knows of recruiters in the area, or has family who work in an engineering-type of corporation that is growing and looking for people... send the info my way! :)

AgentC
05-27-2014, 01:16 PM
The Clermont area is very pretty. I drive through on almost every trip to WDW. :)

RedSoxFan
05-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Blythe: Good luck with your move. We are moving in July to Johns Creek, GA (DH works out of Atlanta now and has been commuting since January). Kourtney will be a senior but is very excited about the move (she hates her current HS) and going to a much bigger school. She met the softball coach (fall sport there) who is very excited about having her on the team. We went to visit schools in April and she chose Johns Creek HS because of softball and the fact that everyone there went out of their way to make her feel welcomed. We found a rental house for a year in the school district. 6 weeks left!!

She is leaving her BFF, Kennedy, but we've already book Disney for November and flying Kennedy down for the trip. Something for the girls to look forward to.