PDA

View Full Version : Stormalong Bay and Magiv Bands?

buzznwoodysmom
02-27-2014, 09:17 PM
I have a question about Stormalong Bay and Magic Bands. How has this worked as far as getting into the pool area? I know in the past you had to show a room key to enter. With all/most guests having Magic Bands now and no way to tell which resort you are staying at by just looking at the band, are they scanning the bands at the entrance to the pool? Can you still show your room key if you don't use a band? For example my son won't wear the band because it causes a rash. If the others in our party have bands, but he has his room key will that work?

We don't have plans to return anytime soon, but I was just wondering about this since we are interested in BC/YC maybe in summer of 2015.

tgmousechick
02-27-2014, 09:23 PM
In October, they did have a portable scanner and scanned our bands for entry

stephicakes
02-28-2014, 05:46 AM
We were there in Jan and the pool attendants used handheld devices to scan our bands. Sometimes they scanned all 3 of our bands, and sometimes just one person in our party. Protocol is mostly likely to scan everyone's MagicBands so I would be prepared, but I am sure they will be able to tell that your son is with you.

Happy planning! :mickey:

Pirate Granny
02-28-2014, 07:51 AM
I thought that they have discontinued giving room keys...so he'll have to bring his band with him...just like at the parks, it'll have his enterance tickets associated with his band.

buzznwoodysmom
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I thought that they have discontinued giving room keys...so he'll have to bring his band with him...just like at the parks, it'll have his enterance tickets associated with his band.

Yes, I know all of this. In the parks I attached his band to the strap on my purse. Just wouldn't want to loose it at the pool since I won't have my purse on me. DH's swimtrunks have a Velcro pocket we could easily slip a room key in, not so much a band.

I would think they will still be able to hand out cards under special circumstances like ours, where a guest can't wear the band due to being allergic to the material. For now I don't mind holding his band on my purse, but say at 17, I wouldn't think he'd want mommy holding his band. Lol. He'd much rather have a room key in place of the band. Of course he could put the band in his pocket, but again I think a room key would be less bulky in a pocket.

Davy Crockett
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

You still have the option of requesting a version of the Keys to the World card if you do not want to be tracked all the time as the wristbands are all long distant RFID enabled and the cards are not. I read this last week as there is a percentage of guests that do not want Disney to know all of their movements....

As for the portable scanners at the pool thank you for that information as I had not heard about that.

Bruegge
03-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Do all Deluxe hotel pools require a scan check to enter?? Or is it just Stormalong??

I ask because I saw a blog (not here) where a Lady at GF got mad because she couldn't get a chair at the Gf pool and "heard" a large group of people claim they were not staying at GF (pool hopping).

I thought that was not allowed (or at least discouraged). It would be nice to know it's being enforced.