PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to MK hub

VWL Mom
02-27-2014, 06:06 PM
New landscaping, expanded pathways, and additional seating at Casey's and outside the Plaza are just a few of the changes. There will also be a special viewing area for Wishes which may or may not be part of FP+. You can view the complete story and a fly-through video here (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/02/magic-kingdom-enhancements-include-special-viewing-area-new-pathways-gardens/?CMP=SOC-DPFY14Q1YT02282014DisneyParks000127-02-14).

BrerGnat
02-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Looks great! I misread and thought it would be done this year and my skeptic antenna went up. 2015 sounds reasonable.

Disneyfun
02-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Overall, this looks great and I can't wait to see it.

I am disappointed in one aspect - it appears that the Rose Garden and the old Swan Boat loading platform are going away with this plan. I think that loosing the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat platform will be a HUGE loss in that area. It is such a peaceful area that is enjoyed by many a family with small children. It really is an oasis in the throngs of huge, sweaty crowds where you can get away for a moment but not leave the magic.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

Melanie
02-27-2014, 06:53 PM

I am disappointed in one aspect - it appears that the Rose Garden and the old Swan Boat loading platform are going away with this plan. I think that loosing the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat platform will be a HUGE loss in that area. It is such a peaceful area that is enjoyed by many a family with small children. It really is an oasis in the throngs of huge, sweaty crowds where you can get away for a moment but not leave the magic.

I noticed that as well when I saw some plans a few days ago. That is a shame, no doubt. I love watching Wishes from the Rose Garden.

This setup reminds me of how Tokyo is done. More seating room in front of the castle and those pretty outbuildings, or whatever they are called. lol

rjmdds
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM

THis is my only reservation about this change as well. I have fond memories of my daughter's first trip to WDW in 2005 and doing a ladybug release in the Rose Garden on Earth Day. It also provides such a unique and picturesque view of the castle. I am sure the added room is much need, but I hate to see the Rose garden sacrificed.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Looks fairly nice. I just hope they realize that trees right in the middle, in front of the castle will be WAY more annoying ... as they will block views of shows, etc. They may look nice, but not too practical. :)

Aurora
02-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Looks fairly nice. I just hope they realize that trees right in the middle, in front of the castle will be WAY more annoying ... as they will block views of shows, etc. They may look nice, but not too practical. :)

There used to be lots of trees there. They may have broken up some views but it looked much better then, IMHO.

Aurora
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
THis is my only reservation about this change as well. I have fond memories of my daughter's first trip to WDW in 2005 and doing a ladybug release in the Rose Garden on Earth Day. It also provides such a unique and picturesque view of the castle. I am sure the added room is much need, but I hate to see the Rose garden sacrificed.

Me too. I miss the little garden area off to the side on Main Street where they expanded the Emporium, and I'll miss the Rose Garden. Guess my goal is to find all the little nooks and crannies at the MK before they disappear.

I hope the expanded concrete around the hub doesn't also make the area that much hotter, like it is in the Chinese Theater area at Hollywood Studios. That space is brutal on some days.

WDWParrothead
02-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Whew! It doesn't involve Starbucks, I'm on board!

Disneyfun
03-02-2014, 12:13 AM

I'm not sure if keeping the rose garden would affect the plans at all. The way I see the plan, they could do everything and STILL keep the Rose Garden as is. Am I wrong?

Aurora
03-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure if keeping the rose garden would affect the plans at all. The way I see the plan, they could do everything and STILL keep the Rose Garden as is. Am I wrong?

Maybe they could, but it wouldn't fit the design or help the goal of easing crowding.

There was a response to the question of the Rose Garden on the Disney Parks Blog: "The entire area around Cinderella Castle will be redesigned, including the Rose Garden. When complete, the area landscaping will feature many different types of plants, including roses."

I'll still miss it, but I'm sure the area will turn out to be beautiful and more park-like.

Main Street Jim
03-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Looks fairly nice. I just hope they realize that trees right in the middle, in front of the castle will be WAY more annoying ... as they will block views of shows, etc. They may look nice, but not too practical. :)It was that way for 35+ years....

Disneyfun
03-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Maybe they could, but it wouldn't fit the design or help the goal of easing crowding.

There was a response to the question of the Rose Garden on the Disney Parks Blog: "The entire area around Cinderella Castle will be redesigned, including the Rose Garden. When complete, the area landscaping will feature many different types of plants, including roses."

I'll still miss it, but I'm sure the area will turn out to be beautiful and more park-like.

If you look at the video and then split screen with a satelite google maps view of the hub, the shore line looks like it stays pretty much the same. The only differences appear to be closer to Main Street and the area where the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat Platform are at looks the same as it is now...minus the Rose Garden and Platform. :(

If they made all the changes and kept the Rose Garden and Platform, I don't think that it would impact crowd flow either way. I know that it would preserve a beloved spot near the castle that is appreciated by many for all the quiet beauty that it contains.

Something else I was noticing when I did the comparison, the photopass location that was there looks like it will go away as well. That will be a shame if it does as that is by far the BEST photopass location to have the castle in the background!

Aurora
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
If you look at the video and then split screen with a satelite google maps view of the hub, the shore line looks like it stays pretty much the same. The only differences appear to be closer to Main Street and the area where the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat Platform are at looks the same as it is now...minus the Rose Garden and Platform. :(

If they made all the changes and kept the Rose Garden and Platform, I don't think that it would impact crowd flow either way. I know that it would preserve a beloved spot near the castle that is appreciated by many for all the quiet beauty that it contains.

Something else I was noticing when I did the comparison, the photopass location that was there looks like it will go away as well. That will be a shame if it does as that is by far the BEST photopass location to have the castle in the background!

The Rose Garden area and Swan Boat platform, in terms of land mass, definitely look the same. They could certainly leave the pathway as is, but it is narrower than what's planned and doesn't "go" with the circular European garden design.

I agree that the quadrant closest to the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant looks like it will see a much bigger change -- about half of the moat will be filled in with much closer access to the terrace from the hub. But it does look there there is some kind of structure there -- maybe a new Photopass or meet and greet location?

What's interesting about the Google maps satellite images is that there are almost no people on those narrower pathways in either quadrant, both on the overhead and 45-degree pictures. So unfortunately if they were looking for evidence that they should change the pathways to encourage crowd movement, all they would have to do is point to those images.

Davy Crockett
03-04-2014, 09:46 AM

I know this is needed to ease traffic congestion, but I truly hate to "visually" see this change as it impacts so much of the original layout and the beauty. I'm just being selfish but this is one of the area's I remember most fondly when we went as kid's, as you knew you would see a number of characters walking around (no handlers) near the castle and you could get your hugs & pictures with them before hitting the rides and attractions with you BOOK of tickets.

Ahhh the memories.....

jclightchasr
03-05-2014, 12:17 PM
My question is: Will the Sea Serpent topiary remain untouched or will they have to take it out?

DKA041177
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I''m not sure I'm happy about this...especially given the rose garden issue!

rjmdds
03-07-2014, 09:02 AM
My question is: Will the Sea Serpent topiary remain untouched or will they have to take it out?

I was wondering the same thing. I hope it stays.

Ian
03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I'll miss some of the elements that are being removed, but the fact is this is LONG overdue.

I've often remarked to my wife as we exit the parks after fireworks, "This is a disaster waiting to happen." because those crowds are just ridiculous. If any small event happened like a small fire or a fight or something that could quickly turn into a deadly stampede and with all those children in the crowd well ... I don't think I need to spell out what a tragedy that would be.

Anything that improves the crowd flow in that area will be very, very welcome. :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Anything that improves the crowd flow in that area will be very, very welcome. :thumbsup:

I have to agree, Ian. I think it will be very nice when all is said and done.

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Someone mentioned elsewhere this is actually the start of a longer project that will change, somewhat, the entrance to the MK... But gave no specifics.... Take it with a grain of salt I guess, but he isn't wrong often... Very good well placed source...

AndrewJackson
03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Someone mentioned elsewhere this is actually the start of a longer project that will change, somewhat, the entrance to the MK... But gave no specifics.... Take it with a grain of salt I guess, but he isn't wrong often... Very good well placed source...

Is it somehow connected to the news about a Main Street bypass path for visitors?

Ian
03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
One of the things that always really stands out to me when I look at pictures from WDW back in the 70's is how much ROOM there is to move around. It looks so much more open and free flowing and (frankly) a lot more enjoyable.

Anything they can do to free up that congestion and make the parks feel roomier I think they have to do.

rjmdds
03-08-2014, 12:27 PM
One of the things that always really stands out to me when I look at pictures from WDW back in the 70's is how much ROOM there is to move around. It looks so much more open and free flowing and (frankly) a lot more enjoyable.

Anything they can do to free up that congestion and make the parks feel roomier I think they have to do.

Agreed. It is the reality of the times. More people are visiting a park that was initially designed never dreaming of the numbers that it is seeing today. They are obligated to make these types of changes despite messing with the original layout. I would love to see it stay but that's not the reality. You just put faith in the hope that they maintain the Disney aura of Main Street and the hub. Not an easy task.

03-08-2014, 05:29 PM
A lot of this has to do with the traffic flow and viewing location changes that took place with the advent of the Castle Projection Show, the Magic The Memories and You.

A few days after the show first started MK management wanted to have more guests to be in the street and other areas in front of the Castle to view MMY, areas that had been used for guest flow. This necessitated creating other walkways than what were in use and the new walkways just were / are not as efficient. In addition, more guests are moving into the front areas from the other lands to view.

On most nights, some nights are an exception of course, the "in-park" count has not really changed all that much from nights prior to MMY it's just that more guest's used to filter out after the parade over a greater amount of time. Now the majority of guests stay between parade and Wishes to watch the projection show and consequently there is more of a logjam after Wishes.

I've worked the Main St. area for 2 years prior to MMY and ever since and have seen it before and after. Obviously some nights like July 4 week, and some other holiday times contradict this but surprisingly not that many.

Melanie
03-08-2014, 05:39 PM
A lot of this has to do with the traffic flow and viewing location changes that took place with the advent of the Castle Projection Show, the Magic The Memories and You.

A few days after the show first started MK management wanted to have more guests to be in the street and other areas in front of the Castle to view MMY, areas that had been used for guest flow. This necessitated creating other walkways than what were in use and the new walkways just were / are not as efficient. In addition, more guests are moving into the front areas from the other lands to view.

On most nights, some nights are an exception of course, the "in-park" count has not really changed all that much from nights prior to MMY it's just that more guest's used to filter out after the parade over a greater amount of time. Now the majority of guests stay between parade and Wishes to watch the projection show and consequently there is more of a logjam after Wishes.

I've worked the Main St. area for 2 years prior to MMY and ever since and have seen it before and after. Obviously some nights like July 4 week, and some other holiday times contradict this but surprisingly not that many.

As always, really appreciate your perspective and experience you share. :thumbsup:

Aurora
03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
As always, really appreciate your perspective and experience you share. :thumbsup:

:ditto: :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Is it somehow connected to the news about a Main Street bypass path for visitors?

Honestly, he didn't say, and when pressed for more info, all he said was he cannot say any more than hinting at this being part of a larger project, think of this as a Phase 1...

There was mention about something called International Street though... And a new parade route, and somewhere the bypass was involved... But, they aren't going all out with the bypass theme... Unless, the patchwork bypass is a placeholder for now... And when they get to phase 2, a more highly detailed and themed arcade will be built, which will allow for a new or longer parade route? All guesses and speculation at the moment...

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info!!!! Have you heard anything about what I just posted above regarding a parade route or a new/longer parade route?

03-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info!!!! Have you heard anything about what I just posted above regarding a parade route or a new/longer parade route?

Small walkway in the "East Bypass" area will have some form of themeing (spelling?). There has been some work done on it last Summer & Fall (took away some of our storage area and some concrete work near one of the backstage bus stops) and some utility work has been performed and some underground work is currently ongoing.

As far as an expanded parade route, no, not part of it at all, at least what has been shown to us as to what is going to be constructed.

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2014, 11:21 PM
Small walkway in the "East Bypass" area will have some form of themeing (spelling?). There has been some work done on it last Summer & Fall (took away some of our storage area and some concrete work near one of the backstage bus stops) and some utility work has been performed and some underground work is currently ongoing.

As far as an expanded parade route, no, not part of it at all, at least what has been shown to us as to what is going to be constructed.

Thanks! Always great to have another trusted source to verify information with... Much appreciated.... :thumbsup:

Sam Pinizzotto
03-18-2014, 11:20 AM
I will say that if you have ever been to the park during the Castle Lighting during the Christmas Holiday, than this area will be welcoming to the extra space.
I would also assume that during the parades, the extra room will be handy for those trying to get around through the hub area. I hate how jammed it is now.
I wonder how long and when this will be done? I'll have to make sure not to plan my vacation during this upgrade. It will definitely affect the Castle Experience while they work on it.

Overall, I'm liking this change.

i'm grumpy
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I think it was last trip, I wanted something small for dinner and we were in Tomorrowland. It was late and we had to fight through a mob to get to Sleepy Hollow, which was closed. Then back into the mob to get to Casey’s. Wasn’t worth it.

Septbride2002
03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm sad about the rose garden. It is our family tradition to get a picture there every year. It is the best spot because hardly any people are in the background of your photo with the castle.

Otherwise this is long over due in terms of crowd control.