PDA

View Full Version : Standby lines

yankeesfan123
02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
It seems like park-goers (or maybe just for die-hards) are becoming less and less patient with standby line times. This is probably due to the fact that so many of us have rode the attractions multiple times and therefore don't want to wait longer than 20 minutes. It's also probably due to the fact that most of us "know how to handle" the parks, crowds, and standby lines and therefore we can navigate around "long" waits pretty easily.

But, I feel with today's modern world we should be getting MORE patient with lines. While I understand that we live in a fast paced, instant gratification society, shouldn't it be easier to wait 45 minutes than it used to be? Not only are there interactive queues, but most of us also have Angry Birds, kindle books, and the entire world of the internet at our fingertips. Shouldn't that make waiting for a "long" time easier and more bearable?

Bruegge
02-25-2014, 05:56 PM
It seems like park-goers (or maybe just for-hards) are becoming less and less patient with standby line times. This is probably due to the fact that so many of us have rode the attractions multiple times and therefore don't want to wait longer than 20 minutes. It's also probably due to the fact that most of us "know how to handle" the parks, crowds, and standby lines and therefore we can navigate around "long" waits pretty easily.

But, I feel with today's modern world we should be getting MORE patient with lines. While I understand that we live in a fast paced, instant gratification society, shouldn't it be easier to wait 45 minutes than it used to be? Not only are there interactive queues, but most of us also have Angry Birds, kindle books, and the entire world of the internet at our fingertips. Shouldn't that make waiting for a "long" time easier and more bearable?

Totally agree..

I can kill 30 minutes on the Iphone like it's nothing.. I've noticed .. doctor waiting rooms, picking up the kids after music practice... waiting for a show to start... all of these waits are far less painful now that I have a smartphone.

That or I'm just getting old....

Johnno52
02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Due to health reasons I find it very difficult to wait more than 20 minutes so I won't do it. However when have been visiting for many years and an average of every 3 days we do a park when we are here in winter.
We walk around the parks and get into an attraction when its a short wait. The FP+ has allowed us to choose the ride we want to do on that day.
We would rather walk around the park or sit than stand in line. With the FP+ the lines have reversed where the FP are longer than the Standby lines.
Again we are not there for a short visit and have to get as much in as possible. We would be very disappointed if most of our days are spent waiting in line. When that day comes we will just not go into the parks and just visit the resorts.

Sylvia
02-25-2014, 11:59 PM
Some great points.

I hardly ever used FP, and most likely won't use FP+. Over time, my Disney visits have changed. For years, it was always important to visit every attraction and ride every ride. But more recently, I spend more time enjoying the details in the parks, passing by attractions/rides if the standby lines are too long, enjoying everything going on around me, and relaxing at my resort or visiting other resorts. Depending on the heat and the wait time for the standby line (for me I prefer 40 minutes or less), if an attraction is at the top of my favorite list (such as Peter Pan:blush:), I'll wait in line if I'm feeling 100%.

My Disney vacations, whether solo or with family/friends, have typically been 14-16 days. Also, I've been an AP holder for years, so I have the luxury of leisurely exploring the parks and leaving to do other things if the crowds are too much.

The last couple of years have reminded me that life is too short to worry about things over which I have no control and to concentrate on enjoying life to the fullest. Unexpected health problems can really change a person's outlook. In June 2012, I was diagnosed with Afib which also caused a stroke; my guardian angel was watching over me, since I didn't suffer any severe effects from the stroke. As long as I follow doctors' orders and take many meds, I can look forward to enjoying the rest of my life. Avoiding stress is at the top of my "must do" lists.

joonyer
02-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Your argument sounds logical, but I think that we are less likely to exercise patience as a society than we were 20-30 years ago. I can remember going to MK 30 years ago (before FP) when everybody waited 60-90 minutes to ride an attraction like Space Mountain. Yeah, we complained about the waits, but still had a great time at the parks. I remember meeting new people in the line next to us and having a great conversation with them while filing through the queue. We met some very interesting people from all over the world and learned new things that were really memorable to our vacations.

The same things you mentioned, smart phones, digital games, communication, etc. are part of what has helped change our culture to one of "instant gratification". No need to wait for anything anymore, you can buy it now, communicate instantly, etc. Culturally we have become addicted to instant gratification, which cannot be fulfilled at an old-fashioned theme park, where you have to experience rides physically (not virtually) with limited numbers of people at a time.

So many of us live mostly in a virtual (digital) world where we get used to not having to wait for much of anything, that when we get out of that world into a situation where actual old-fashioned patience is required, we react very poorly to having to wait, even though we can entertain ourselves while we are waiting.

vicster
02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
The last couple of years have reminded me that life is too short to worry about things over which I have no control and to concentrate on enjoying life to the fullest. Unexpected health problems can really change a person's outlook. In June 2012, I was diagnosed with Afib which also caused a stroke; my guardian angel was watching over me, since I didn't suffer any severe effects from the stroke. As long as I follow doctors' orders and take many meds, I can look forward to enjoying the rest of my life. Avoiding stress is at the top of my "must do" lists.

I totally agree! I also had a life threatening event a few years ago and have learned not to sweat the small stuff. Someone was definitely watching over me and I'm very lucky to be able to wait in lines.

Terra
02-26-2014, 07:42 AM
As an adult, I can totally wait. Read an E-book, etc.
Now with my sons [both that are special needs :( as we just found out with our youngest], it is incredibly difficult.

With the oldest having ASD/SPD/Anxiety and the youngest having ADHD/ODD/Anxiety it is a nightmare.
Even the new DAS leaves us struggling. The coming back and finding something else in the meantime is proving to be a failure for us :(

The new FP+ is great for me. But with the times so spread out again for my ASD son, it just doesn't work.
If we get there at 9am, and a return time for something is 4pm, that is very tough. Many times he is over stimulated and ready to go within 4-5 hours.

So in that sense, long standby lines or FP+ returns of 5+ hours is making it very difficult.

mydisneygirls
02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
If a ride has a wait time more than 30 mins, we will get a fastpass and then go off and find something else to do. Not worth it to me to stress about it. There is enough to do in MK for the time to go by while waiting for the fastpass time but the other parks are another story. I wonder why on earth don't they put more rides in the other parks. I think they have enough room to do it and I really think it would cut down on some wait times for rides like Soarin, TT, TSM. What they don't need is another souvenir store.

Terra -- I'm so sorry!!! I do hope you use the Guest Assistance Card. Although they have changed the way it is used, I totally agree with it as the last time we were there, I witnessed a "disabled" person screaming and yelling at a CM on Space Mountain because he wasn't letting her on the ride right away. When I looked over, she was in a wheelchair BUT the only thing wrong with her was a broken leg (if that). When the CM went over to her, she got right up out of the wheelchair and walked over and got on the ride with no assistance needed. It is people like her that has made it a little more difficult for ones that really need it (like yourself)!

Melanie
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
If a ride has a wait time more than 30 mins, we will get a fastpass and then go off and find something else to do. Not worth it to me to stress about it. There is enough to do in MK for the time to go by while waiting for the fastpass time

Not so easy now with FP+.

mydisneygirls
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Fastpass+ --- isn't that you pick 3 rides a day? I'm just hoping on our next trip I get one for the new Snow White ride. If not, that will be the only long line I wait in.

Speedy1998
02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
One thing no one has mentioned is line movement.

Prior to fastpass you might have been in line for an hour, but for most attractions it did not seem as bad because the line was constantly moving. Haunted Mansion and Pirates are still like this, you rarely stand in the same place in the line for more than a couple of minutes.

Since fastpass came along, if you are in the standbye line you stand in the same place for 10 - 15 minutes or more.

Terra
02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
If a ride has a wait time more than 30 mins, we will get a fastpass and then go off and find something else to do. Not worth it to me to stress about it. There is enough to do in MK for the time to go by while waiting for the fastpass time but the other parks are another story. I wonder why on earth don't they put more rides in the other parks. I think they have enough room to do it and I really think it would cut down on some wait times for rides like Soarin, TT, TSM. What they don't need is another souvenir store.

Terra -- I'm so sorry!!! I do hope you use the Guest Assistance Card. Although they have changed the way it is used, I totally agree with it as the last time we were there, I witnessed a "disabled" person screaming and yelling at a CM on Space Mountain because he wasn't letting her on the ride right away. When I looked over, she was in a wheelchair BUT the only thing wrong with her was a broken leg (if that). When the CM went over to her, she got right up out of the wheelchair and walked over and got on the ride with no assistance needed. It is people like her that has made it a little more difficult for ones that really need it (like yourself)!

Oh see that makes me so spitting mad [people who abuse it, AND the CMs. I NEVER have gotten rude. I've never even complained [beyond this board :blush:] because they have no control over it.

Honestly, if they would just increase how many can written in from like 1 to 2 or 3 at a time at least it would help! I can see not filling up the card for sure. But would love it to be able to at least 2 times from 2 attractions.

but it is what it is :) Thank you!!

1DisneyNut
02-26-2014, 02:40 PM
What actually brought about the change in the DAC system was wealthy visitors were hiring Disabled people in scooters who could get a DAC card as guides so they didn't have to wait in any lines. They would follow the guide around and go right on one ride after another and do the whole park in a few hours.

There were also others abusing the system such as having a broken leg or sprained ankle requiring a scooter to navigate the park but they were using that to skip lines. A broken leg or sprained ankle is not a disability.

With all of that said, I personally feel that the new system is as fair as one could make it. You still get a slight advantage because you don't have to stand in line and can go do something else until your time to ride comes up. It just isn't as good as the previous advantage where you went straight on the ride. I don't see any other way of solving the abuse problem other than taking the advantages away.

Terra
02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah, I knew all that. Sadly it's always the bad ones that ruin it for the good ones. :(

Yeah, at least we don't have to stand right then, but it can prove difficult to find something else sometimes [depending on wait time/place in park].

But again it is what it is.

Aurora
02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
One thing no one has mentioned is line movement.

Prior to fastpass you might have been in line for an hour, but for most attractions it did not seem as bad because the line was constantly moving. Haunted Mansion and Pirates are still like this, you rarely stand in the same place in the line for more than a couple of minutes.

Since fastpass came along, if you are in the standbye line you stand in the same place for 10 - 15 minutes or more.

I totally agree with you. The worst example of this is the Soarin' standby line. I was in standby at the end of the night a few years ago because it was the only chance we'd have to ride it. We stood for 10 minutes at a time in one spot (I timed it), then moved a few feet, then stood for another 10 minutes. At one point we got to a door in the wall that separated the standby from the Fastpass line. The door was open a tiny bit, and I could see that there was no one in the FP line, yet we weren't being let through.

I learned that the CM was holding back the standby line to let the required quota of FP holders through, even when there was no one IN the FP queue. We waited for nearly 2 hours and moved a total of about 150 feet. At that rate, even the silly interactive projections didn't help. It was maddening.

I'd much rather wait in a 90-minute line that moves, where you actually feel like you're making progress. That's what the zig-zag queues were all about when the park was built.

yankeesfan123
02-27-2014, 06:25 AM
I totally agree with you. The worst example of this is the Soarin' standby line. I was in standby at the end of the night a few years ago because it was the only chance we'd have to ride it. We stood for 10 minutes at a time in one spot (I timed it), then moved a few feet, then stood for another 10 minutes. At one point we got to a door in the wall that separated the standby from the Fastpass line. The door was open a tiny bit, and I could see that there was no one in the FP line, yet we weren't being let through.

I learned that the CM was holding back the standby line to let the required quota of FP holders through, even when there was no one IN the FP queue. We waited for nearly 2 hours and moved a total of about 150 feet. At that rate, even the silly interactive projections didn't help. It was maddening.

I'd much rather wait in a 90-minute line that moves, where you actually feel like you're making progress. That's what the zig-zag queues were all about when the park was built.

Well, another thing about Soarin is that it is not an omnimover ride or anything similar.

They fill up the theaters, then you wait in one spot. Then they fil them up again, then more waiting. On and on and on. But the FP loading technique you mention would certainly make it worse.

MCeee
02-27-2014, 09:22 AM
From a purely pragmatic standpoint... if I stand in line for 2 hours to ride Soarin', that one attraction has cost me about $7 (and that's based on a 7 or 8 day pass)!
Yes, on a 7-8 day pass, if I arrive at Epcot's opening and stay until its close, I have spent approximately $3.50 per hour just to be inside the gate. In all but the highest seasons, Epcot is open the longest, so the other parks (and their rides-attractions) would be more expensive. So one way or the other, I feel compelled to use some form of fastpass to avoid doing that.
I'd rather just be strolling around the park enjoying the ambiance than just standing.

mydisneygirls
02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Oh see that makes me so spitting mad [people who abuse it, AND the CMs. I NEVER have gotten rude. I've never even complained [beyond this board :blush:] because they have no control over it.

Honestly, if they would just increase how many can written in from like 1 to 2 or 3 at a time at least it would help! I can see not filling up the card for sure. But would love it to be able to at least 2 times from 2 attractions.

but it is what it is :) Thank you!!

It made me spitting mad also. I also read about the wealthy people abusing it....how dare they!!! I remember years back when people were renting scooters/wheelchairs for the sole purpose of cutting lines. I just read about how the new DAS Card works....to me it is nothing more than a glorified Fastpass. Wrong, just plain wrong!

Speedy1998
02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I remember years back when people were renting scooters/wheelchairs for the sole purpose of cutting lines. !

I have seen this many times.

It makes me so :mad: especially when you see disabled and injured people who really need the wheel chairs.

DonaldDuckUSA
02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't mind waiting for a line. The neat thing about Disney is that I have found some of the waits to be very entertaining. Some queues are awful (parts of BTMRR, Soarin'), but some queues are very entertaining with a lot of things to look at.

Plus, I enjoy talking to people in line, or just enjoying the company of my travel companions.

momef3grls
02-27-2014, 02:59 PM
We went down with my daughter who was on crutches due to ACL reconstruction. All we asked was that she could sit at front of the line and wait for us as we went through the line and many times it was ignored. We didn't ask for front of the line privileges she just needed to sit due to being on her leg for a long time. Many times she just went with us and tried to sit whenever she could. What amazed me even more was the people that would just ram their way through when we were sitting somewhere. One night we were waiting in EPCOT for Illuminations and found a seat on a planter. My daughter and I sat there while my DH and other DD went to get us drinks and stuff and someone with a double stroller didn't even look and rammed her leg. Didn't even bother to apologize or anything. I said something and the mother just glared at me and made a rude comment. I kind castmember saw the exchange and graciously let us into a reserved area just so she wouldn't get banged around any more. I was so grateful and when the crew came back they were surprised where we were sitting. We thanked her immensely and treated her to a drink. It really amazes me how people are so inconsiderate these days.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
02-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't mind waiting 20 or 30 minutes but that's about all I can stand. lol! I have a hard time justifying, for myself only, waiting 45-90 minutes for a 2 to 5 minutes ride (for most cases). But then again, we are still old school and don't have internet on our phones.

We also have a 2 year old son and waiting in lines isn't his thing. So we just work around it. See what we can see and have fun doing it.

LVT
02-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I still hear about waiting 2 hours for big rides six flags or other large amusement parks. WDW never seemed too bad.

Daisy'sMom
02-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I think part of the charm of Disney is waiting in lines. We always enjoy the interaction with others in line and have made a lot of friends.:mickey:

AndrewJackson
03-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I think part of the charm of Disney is waiting in lines. We always enjoy the interaction with others in line and have made a lot of friends.:mickey:

Back in the day, I remember waiting in line for Rio del Tiempo at Epcot for 45 minutes. The line snaked into the lobby area of the building.

As a family, we would use that time to visit, talk, play silly line games, etc. For you young ones out there, visiting is when you talk to someone without the aid of an electronic device. ;)

There were no FPs, and you worked the park, one line at a time. We enjoyed the moment.

I remember when MGM Studios opened, and we were so excited because they had TVs in the backlot tour queue as part of the pre-show.

Granted, times have changed, but I can tell you we had as much fun back the as we do now.

Arielfan98
03-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I partially agree. Ever since FP+ came out I 've found the wait for Pirates of the Caribbean for example, has gotten way longer and I used to be able to walk on every time (I visit during the same time every year). Due to the fact I wasn't used to waiting for the ride, didn't help. Plus not everyone owns an iPhone/iPad, etc. Even if you do own one, 45 minutes takes up a lot of your battery and there's plenty of attractions to go through. I see what you are saying, but patience is a virtue and some people are more patient than others and in certain areas. I have patience with little children that some others don't. A long PofC line? No.

joonyer
03-01-2014, 06:36 PM
We became life-long friends with a couple from Canada after spending 90 minutes talking with them while waiting in line for Splash Mountain back in 2002. They were newly-weds and we had our kids with us, but we struck up a friendship that continues until this day, even though we have never been back at WDW at the same time. We have shared letters, pics and Christmas cards through the years (and yes, e-mails too). Someday we are going to plan a "reunion" trip to WDW to share the magic with them again.