PDA

View Full Version : The Yeti??

Bruegge
02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Sry, I know this is another stupid question..

I've never ridden EE.. I missed it in 2007 and this June is my first trip back since.

I know that the Yeti grabs at you at the end of the ride (so I hear) but I was told he is just in strobe lights now due to a BIG problem that they can't fix without a major refurb... basically taking the mountain down???

When did this happen and is a plan to fix it?

EDIT: Found this on Wikipedia:

The yeti has not been in full "A-mode" operation since a few months after the ride's opening,[16] when its framing split, causing significant risk of catastrophic malfunction if it were operated. It currently only operates in the alternative "B-mode", which is limited to a strobe-light effect designed to give the appearance of movement, earning it the nickname "Disco Yeti". The problem was caused by damage to the yeti's concrete base structure, which is unlikely to be repaired until a major refurbishment in the future, because the design limits access to the yeti without major disassembly of the superstructure.[17]

I realize I answered my own question.... but, was the original version cool??
Any input on this would be helpful...

Thanks

DizneyRox
02-25-2014, 05:27 PM
The Yeti has been in B-Mode for a long time, 2007 or so I believe... According to Wikipedia, it opened in 2006 and "broke" months later.

Last Internet rumors point to a solution has been developed, but either nobody will pay for it, or nobody wants to take the attraction down for the length of time it will take to fix.

It's a shame.. Bad show on Disney's part to leave this broken for so long. The Yeti though isn't the only non operational effect on the ride. I rode it shortly after it opened and then after a while, there's a big difference in the experience, however at this point hardly anyone remembers it the way it was supposed to be.

Scar
02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
The Yeti is Down. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=194003)

mickclub1955
02-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I haven't seen the bird at the top of the mountain in a long while. I keep wondering why no one has bothered to fix him either.

DizneyFreak2002
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I haven't seen the bird at the top of the mountain in a long while. I keep wondering why no one has bothered to fix him either.

It's gone...

mickclub1955
02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
It's gone...

That is why, if I go when a new attraction opens I always try to take it all in because they always seem to take things away and not replace them. The attraction on opening day is the best the attraction is ever going to be.

DizneyFreak2002
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
That is why, if I go when a new attraction opens I always try to take it all in because they always seem to take things away and not replace them. The attraction on opening day is the best the attraction is ever going to be.

I never understood that bird anyway... Really was kind of silly... not something I lament losing... The steam on the train, the waiter falls, the scenery, yea... That bird? Not so much LOL...

DizneyRox
02-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I never understood that bird anyway... Really was kind of silly... not something I lament losing... The steam on the train, the waiter falls, the scenery, yea... That bird? Not so much LOL...
I think it was more of a diversion while they switch out the track, probably also to give you a sense of height...

joonyer
02-25-2014, 11:20 PM
When the Yeti was still operating in the "A" mode, it was a pretty cool & scary effect. His arm would swoop down toward the train as you passed by/underneath him, as if he was about to knock the train off the tracks. For first time riders who weren't expecting anything but to see a giant snow beast, the arm swinging down was a pretty terrifying effect. It's still a pretty cool and very exciting ride, but that swinging arm was part of what took EE to the next level. It's a shame that it is unable to be repaired.

Davy Crockett
03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
That is too funny as I had to stop and recall the ride. We went to Disney in 07' a few months after EE opened and I do remember the Yeti trying to grab you and now it just sits motionless with the exception of the air blowing its fur, sound and strobe lights as you go past. But as stated the Yeti was set in place first and then the mountain built around it due to its size. You would think with all the think-tank level Imagineering horse power Disney has it could come up with a fix.
My guess is that many people just like myself did not readily pickup that the Yeti was not fully functional and that it happened so early in the life of the attraction they just wrote it off.
If more people had made a fuss I bet it would have been fixed that same year.

#1donaldfan
03-03-2014, 01:02 PM
We rode it just after opening and thankfully got to see it in action. We zipped by so fast that it's was a blur, but it was WAY more than the now strobes and air blowing. ...... but, it's still a great ride, so I am happy !!:thumbsup:

jclightchasr
03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
This is the first I am hearing of this, but come to think of it, I can't recall any movement by the Yeti when I rode a few years back. I saw an older AK documentary on Netflix which showed it grabbing at the cars as they passed and thought "I don't remember that".

firefan43
03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
JC, I was thinking the exact same thing. I went on EE about 6 months after it opened...a few times...and tried to focus on the Yeti when i got to it. I remembered seeing the documentary about EE and saw how the yeti moved around and was so excited, and then when I saw it not moving I was like "did I miss something?"

Explains a lot. Hope they fix it though. Its a wasted to NOT fix it. Such an awesome part of the ride.

DKA041177
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I love the ride even today. However, it is really a shame about the yeti. You would have thought that, given the significance of the yeti to the ride, it would have been designed to make necessary repairs easier.

stephicakes
03-07-2014, 05:40 AM
If more people had made a fuss I bet it would have been fixed that same year.

When I went this past January it was chilly out so I was able to wear my "The Yeti is Down" sweatshirt I bought here on ICOT. :thumbsup: The best reactions..?? The CMs loved it!!! They get it :D

:yeti:

Bass T-bone
03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Is there any video of the Yeti working?

DizneyRox
03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Disney produced like 4 TV shows leading up to the opening of Expedition Everest showing how awesome the Yeti was.

Search:

Building A Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest
or Expedition Everest: Journey to Sacred Lands

And you should be able to find something. I know there was a Jeff Corwin show as well, but I don't know if that had any ride stuff in it, probably mostly the legend of the Yeti.

That's kind of why it rubs people the wrong way, to hype it as much as they did and leave it broken for so long. Just sad...

LandFan
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
When I went this past January it was chilly out so I was able to wear my "The Yeti is Down" sweatshirt I bought here on ICOT. :thumbsup: The best reactions..?? The CMs loved it!!! They get it :D

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize they had The Yeti is Down shirts!! I just bought one for myself and one for DH's birthday : )

Davy Crockett
03-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Your are too COOL!!! Literally :cool:
Get it Yeti... Cool.... I kill myself!!!

JerseyDad
03-09-2014, 12:46 PM
....should I feel 'special' that I saw it fully operational???

....regardless ....I gotta' get a shirt printed up with a pic of EE mountain on the front with the saying right under it:

"Is it fixed"?

....and big words on the back:

"NOT YETI.."!!

MrPeetrie
03-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Disney produced like 4 TV shows leading up to the opening of Expedition Everest showing how awesome the Yeti was.

Search:

Building A Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest
or Expedition Everest: Journey to Sacred Lands
That's kind of why it rubs people the wrong way, to hype it as much as they did and leave it broken for so long. Just sad...

DizneyRox, I watched all those programs and I was so looking forward to seeing it live, only to be disappointed.

What upsets me is: Disney still advertises the ride as though the Yeti is in "A" programming mode. The destination channel just did a week-long special on the Disney Parks and Cruise Line and they repeatedly showed the Yeti in its full glory, swooping down at unsuspecting riders. Until they fix it, they shouldn't hype it!