PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Toy Story Theory

Ian
02-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Okay, this is really a "for fun" topic, but I read this elsewhere and thought it was sort of intriguing and worth discussing here.

Most of you by now have probably read the theory proposed by Jon Negroni that all of the Pixar films actually take place in the same world. He has a lot of fun dissecting the Pixar films, looking for hidden meanings, and stitching together theories based on the clues he spots.

Well his latest theory is sort of fun ... based on a lot of visual evidence from the films, he claims that Andy's Mom is actually a grown-up Emily (Jessie's owner, made famous in the When She Loved Me segment of TS2).

He puts out quite a bit of reasonable evidence to support this, but most convincingly he points to the cowboy hat that Andy wears which looks strikingly similar to both Jessie's hat and a hat shown on Emily's bed during one of the flashback sequences.

There's quite a bit more he discusses in terms of the sequence of events and timing (ex. the flashback to Emily's bedroom shows a lot of 70's era items which would make her the right age to be Andy's Mom) and also the fact that when Emily is shown giving away her toys the cowboy hat is missing (in fact she has a very small box not even big enough for it to fit in) and that they look very similar as adults.

So what do you think? Could Andy's Mom be Emily? It fits neatly if you think about it. And how about this friends and neighbors? A prequel film? Toy Story IV? Showing the love and bond between Emily and Jessie?

INTERCOT Consulting at its finest??? :D

PirateLover
02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
The one thing I don't get is why wouldn't there be a reaction from the mom? I think it would be a really sweet part of the story to make it more obvious, not something to hang in the background. Even if she didn't think it was HER exact toy, I would think that I'd be mildly surprised if my kid got his hands on a toy that was my favorite growing up. The hat thing is interesting... in order for that to be true they had to have known there would always be at least 2 movies. Unless they just decided to give him an old hat in the first one and then retro-fit it into the Jesse/Emily story.

kakn7294
02-24-2014, 04:16 PM
I read this on Facebook. I thought it was cute and a totally plausible explanation.

Melanie
02-24-2014, 05:09 PM
All the Pixar 'people' look alike. ;)

TinkerbellT421
02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Cute, I like the theory.

rjmdds
02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I read it too. I think it is plausible and wouldn't surprise me at all. And even it wasn't intended, it definitely adds more to the story.

Ian
02-25-2014, 12:29 PM
The one thing I don't get is why wouldn't there be a reaction from the mom? I think it would be a really sweet part of the story to make it more obvious, not something to hang in the background. Even if she didn't think it was HER exact toy, I would think that I'd be mildly surprised if my kid got his hands on a toy that was my favorite growing up. The hat thing is interesting... in order for that to be true they had to have known there would always be at least 2 movies. Unless they just decided to give him an old hat in the first one and then retro-fit it into the Jesse/Emily story.I thought about that as well. The only thing I can think of is that maybe she did, but it happened off camera. We don't really see very much of Andy's Mom in the films, so perhaps she did comment to Andy about it at some point but we just didn't see it.

TinkerbellT421
02-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Funny because I always wondered how Andy ended up with two new toys out of nowhere and not being questioned to how he got them...he was away at camp and came back to two new toys. How did that never get questioned??? lol

Ian
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Funny because I always wondered how Andy ended up with two new toys out of nowhere and not being questioned to how he got them...he was away at camp and came back to two new toys. How did that never get questioned??? lolYeah that's a plot hole I've always wondered about too. ;)

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I read this before too and think it is possible. I do agree that if there had been any part of the original film where Andy's mom recognized Jessie, even by just a little gasp in the background, that would have been kind of neat. I also wonder that she would have held onto the hat but gotten rid of the doll? Being a sentimental type of person that just doesn't make as much sense to me.