PDA

View Full Version : Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend - November 14-16, 2014

Melanie
02-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend -
November 14-16, 2014

Events:
Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon - Sunday, November 16, 5:30am, Disneyland Resort
Avengers Super Heroes 5K - Saturday, November 15, 5:30am, Disneyland Resort
runDisney Kids Races - Saturday, November 15, 9am, DTD

ALL EVENTS SOLD OUT (within the first few hours!)

Event Costs:
Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon
$195 by April 29
$210 between April 30 and June 24
$225 on or after June 25

Avengers Super Heroes 5K
$70 by August 20
$80 on or after August 21

runDisney Kids Races
$20 by August 20, 2014
$25 on or after August 21, 2014

Official Page Here (http://www.rundisney.com/avengers-half-marathon/)

Melanie
02-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Almost time!

cer
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Avengers Super Heoroes Half Marathon Weekend!

nice.

Melanie
02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland, November 14-16, 2014.

Watch the announcement here! (http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/avengers-half-marathon-runners-assemble-02-25-2014/)

Melanie
02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
No 10K. Events include half marathon, 5K and kids races. Registration opens March 25.

Oh and another important detail - it is eligible for Coast to Coast medal.

clausjo
02-25-2014, 12:05 PM
This one sounds like fun!

Now we just need a Star Wars themed race and I may be able to convince my husband to run a half with me!

PirateLover
02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't think a Star Wars race is far behind... I think this will be really cool. Wish we could go!

Christine
02-25-2014, 07:05 PM
The force will be with us in no time ;)

RunDMV
02-25-2014, 07:23 PM
$70 for a 5K!?!?!?!?

Melanie
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
$70 for a 5K!?!?!?!?

Ah yes. Hitting high while it's hot.

badkitty
02-26-2014, 07:19 AM
That's my birthday weekend! I love the Advengers! I have to do this. So much for being done with the halfs. LOL ;)

Melanie
02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
That's my birthday weekend! I love the Advengers! I have to do this. So much for being done with the halfs. LOL ;)

It pulls you right in, huh? lol

cer
02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
The force will be with us in no time ;)

Agreed. They would be foolish not to offer it.

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I have heard Star Wars run will be May 2015 to coincide with SW Weekends that year.

AgentC
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
I have heard Star Wars run will be May 2015 to coincide with SW Weekends that year.

I've heard that rumor too and that one might be a 10K, but May is so hot already. :sun:

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
I agree Cindy. May is pushing it for a WDW race. Maybe it will be at night? That would be cool.

AgentC
02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree Cindy. May is pushing it for a WDW race. Maybe it will be at night? That would be cool.

I didn't think of that! Night would be great for Star Wars.

Melanie
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
You guys are thinking SW for WDW?

cer
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
You guys are thinking SW for WDW?

Yeah, it would be great. Make it coincide with Star Wars Weekends

...and they could have Princess Imallama dancing on the course....;)

Melanie
02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Well.....what are they putting in place of the recently moved Tink at Disneyland? Things that make you go hmmmmmm. There is a decent Star Wars presence at Disneyland as well. ;)

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Well.....what are they putting in place of the recently moved Tink at Disneyland? Things that make you go hmmmmmm. There is a decent Star Wars presence at Disneyland as well. ;)

Uh, the Avengers race?

It could go either way. But tying into SWW seems logical. I honestly think the race should be on May the 4th. ;)

Melanie
02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Uh, the Avengers race?

It could go either way. But tying into SWW seems logical. I honestly think the race should be on May the 4th. ;)

Okay. Maybe I didn't word that correctly? Avengers is in November. There is now a slot in January in Disneyland that needs a race. Why else would they move Tink? Weather is too nice in SoCal to not have something in January in that spot.

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Okay. Maybe I didn't word that correctly? Avengers is in November. There is now a slot in January in Disneyland that needs a race. Why else would they move Tink? Weather is too nice in SoCal to not have something in January in that spot.

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Maybe they moved Tink because it was too close to the WDW marathon weekend. I always thought it was crazy because lots of people do both!

Melanie
02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Oh, I get what you're saying now. Maybe they moved Tink because it was too close to the WDW marathon weekend. I always thought it was crazy because lots of people do both!

But Avengers is a week after Wine & Dine. I don't think that's an issue.

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Yeah but the WDW marathon is the "signature" Run Disney event. Maybe it's just too much, too close together? The DL Tinkerbell Half hasn't been around too long. Maybe they need to space out the bigger events. I think the Wine and Dine half as well as the Marvel event are both smaller scale races, so probably easier to organize and in the same month.

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
When will the Tinkerbell Half be from now on? Or is it eliminated?

Melanie
02-26-2014, 08:20 PM
When will the Tinkerbell Half be from now on? Or is it eliminated?

Tink is now in May. Mothers Day weekend.

BrerGnat
02-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Tink is now in May. Mothers Day weekend.

Oh, I remember that change now.

Melanie
02-27-2014, 08:25 AM
First post updated with race/registration info.

Christine
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Y

...and they could have Princess Imallama dancing on the course....;)

:blush: Love this!

There we go!!!! :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
there we go!!!! :thumbsup:

:yoda:

Patricia
02-27-2014, 03:06 PM
My son texted me when the Avengers announcement was made and said he was ready to run! Guess I better find my shoes.. :blush:

clausjo
02-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know if, for the DL races, they offer discounted rooms and tickets like they do with the WDW races? Both my kids want to do the 5K and I want to do the half. What about hotels? Is it better to stay at one of the on property hotels or is it just as good to stay offisite? I'm worried a little about walking to the start so early in the morning. I'll be by myself.

I've not done a California race yet and any helpful advice would be welcome.

Melanie
02-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know if, for the DL races, they offer discounted rooms and tickets like they do with the WDW races? Both my kids want to do the 5K and I want to do the half. What about hotels? Is it better to stay at one of the on property hotels or is it just as good to stay offisite? I'm worried a little about walking to the start so early in the morning. I'll be by myself.

I've not done a California race yet and any helpful advice would be welcome.

I'm not sure about onsite hotel discounts. Are they part of a package? Or through a travel agency? We usually do it ourselves. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor for the Disneyland Half this past August, and I wouldn't worry one bit about walking by yourself. You'll be with thousands of your fellow runners. No problem! It's a short walk through the Esplanade and Downtown Disney, and you're at the start.

clausjo
02-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Once you were registered for the race, you could log into an area where, through runDisney (I think) you could purchase discounted tickets and the hotels were disounted. Actually, I'm not completely sure about the hotels now that I think about it. I always stay at my parent's house when I'm in town for a race so haven't need a hotel. But I know you could purchase discounted tickets because I definately did that!

Lacy
02-28-2014, 10:10 PM
GetTravel offers pretty good discounts for the California races. I can typically argue that the extra $$$ to stay onsite at Disneyland isn't worth it since there are so many decent cheaper options within walking distance BUT for the RunDisney events I think it is definitely worth it to stay onsite and be right near the starting line. That way all my DH and DS have to do is make it down the elevator to see me run! And I don't have to get up even earlier.

And I confirmed with Magical Journeys that the prices offered through Get Travel are very good discounts. So that is how we make park and hotel reservations. I think the California races are great since everything is so close! Tink was a lot of fun and we enjoyed staying at Paradise Pier - I'm curious to see where they Avengers race will start but it seems like we'll be headed out in November!

NewDVCowner
03-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I don't know where the start/finish line will be, but for the tinkerbell we stayed offsite at the Alamo Inn and it was literally right across the street from the finish line.

Melanie
03-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't know where the start/finish line will be, but for the tinkerbell we stayed offsite at the Alamo Inn and it was literally right across the street from the finish line.

Exactly! Honestly, it's not that big of a deal in California. If you stay at a Disney resort or a hotel on Harbor, you are still way ahead of the game in regards to how early you have to get up in Florida to get to the start.

Patricia
03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
When I did my half at Disneyland, I also stayed at Fairfield Inn on South Harbor. I walked alone to the start line with a couple of hundred other "aloners".. It only takes a few minutes to walk over and was a nice way to wake up.

Turns out my DS won't be able to run this race after all. Apparently, he will use all his vacation time up this year going to WDW. Poor thing. :mickey:

clausjo
03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info, it's really appreciated!

Tiggerdog
03-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Hey, it's my Cake Day weekend as well so I'm trying to convince my DH we should go for the Coast to Coast! Right now he's having none of it, the stinker that he is. :thedolls:

clausjo
03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know if there will be early registration for annual passholders for this one?

Melanie
03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know if there will be early registration for annual passholders for this one?

Not sure why there wouldn't be. All the races seem to offer early registration to AP holders, DVC members and Disney Visa cardholders now.

badkitty
03-19-2014, 12:04 AM
AP registration opens tomorrow morning pacific time!

clausjo
03-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Is that just for DL AP holders? I'm not seeing anything at all on the WDW AP site. I want to try to register early if possible since I think this is going to sell out pretty fast.

Christine
03-19-2014, 10:47 AM
In sitting on the DL AP site armed and ready for registration to open!!

I also checked the wdw ap site, and while they mention early registration for Disneyland and Tink, there is no mention of avengers. ???

clausjo
03-19-2014, 11:27 AM
I know, this is what worries me!

I only have a WDW Annual Pass. Here's hoping it's up soon!

cer
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Good luck to everyone registering for Avengers.

AP holders, you need to be ready to the minute it opens up, just the same as with regular registration. From my personal experience with AP registering for Disneyland Half, they only release a limited amount of AP registrations. Last time, I waited until after work thinking I would be ok, and got shut out of the AP early registration...so we had to register when it opened up for everyone.

It all ended well, my husband and I took off work and he brought home his laptop and we were on two computers able to get our regstrations for Dumbo and the kids registered for the 10K. Scary, though.

Yall just don't take anything for granted and be ready to sign up as soon as it opens. :thumbsup:

I am sure for the members posting on this thread, this info is widely known, but there may be some (like me) who may assume that the early registration will not fill as fast as the regular, but it will.

Christine
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm in!! Avengers 5K! (Can't do the half because I have to work medical tent :( )

But to get to race any distance as Thor makes me so happy!! (For those who don't know, my 5# Maltese puppy is baked Thor!! :cloud9: )

(**Also, if you are a DVC member, use your code to get your discount on registration!!! I was able to get $10 knocked off)

Good luck all!

cer
03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm in!! Avengers 5K! (Can't do the half because I have to work medical tent :( )

But to get to race any distance as Thor makes me so happy!! (For those who don't know, my 5# Maltese puppy is baked Thor!! :cloud9: )

(**Also, if you are a DVC member, use your code to get your discount on registration!!! I was able to get $10 knocked off)

Good luck all!

Yay! I know you are glad to have that done. It is always so stressful. I get anxious just thinking about it!

badkitty
03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I know, this is what worries me!

I only have a WDW Annual Pass. Here's hoping it's up soon!

It is up now. Good luck!

I'm in! For both the half and the 5K. The 5K is on my birthday so I had to sign up for it! :woohoo:

badkitty
03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
In sitting on the DL AP site armed and ready for registration to open!!

I also checked the wdw ap site, and while they mention early registration for Disneyland and Tink, there is no mention of avengers. ???

Christine, I was doing the same! Ready with both sites just in case. I was also checking regularly since 6am. I didn't want to take any chances that it would open early. LOL! Can't wait to see you!

cer
03-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Run Disney is tweeting that the early AP registration closed at 9:35 am PST.

whoa.

clausjo
03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Got in for the half but the WDW AP site says that early registration for the 5K is closed.

Now I just need to wait until next week to register me and the kids for the 5K.

This is very stressful!

Christine
03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Got in for the half but the WDW AP site says that early registration for the 5K is closed.

This is very stressful!

Crazy! Early registration spots for 5K filled within one hour!
I know it is stressful! It's crazy! Glad you got your 1/2 and good luck for the 5K!

badkitty
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
It looks like the half is still open on both AP sites. I don't know about DVC. They must have really lowered the number of participants for the early 5K registration? Seems like record time for a 5K!

badkitty
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM

This is very stressful!

Sorry you didn't get the 5K. Will you be able to have multiple computers going to sign up next week? It might help to be sure you all get in rather than doing one at a time.

clausjo
03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Sorry you didn't get the 5K. Will you be able to have multiple computers going to sign up next week? It might help to be sure you all get in rather than doing one at a time.

That's a good idea. My kids are on break next week so maybe all 3 of us can log in right when it opens.

cer
03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Run Disney is tweeting that the early AP registration closed at 9:35 am PST.

whoa.

sorry I gave wrong info, it was the 5K that closed...

Christine
03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
That's a good idea. My kids are on break next week so maybe all 3 of us can log in right when it opens.

That's probably one of the craziest things i have read in a while. (Not your words, just the planning needed to sign up for a 5K!) Totally necessary but just insane that it IS necessary. RunDisney has struck gold!

Melanie
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
That's probably one of the craziest things i have read in a while. (Not your words, just the planning needed to sign up for a 5K!) Totally necessary but just insane that it IS necessary. RunDisney has struck gold!

Agreed. Unprecedented.

My hubby just said that runDisney is going to have to go to a lottery system (like the Marine Corps Marathon did this year). He was joking, but I guess it's not out the realm of possibilities. Yikes!

Christine
03-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Good luck to everyone trying to register tomorrow! Bright and early!!!

Melanie
03-25-2014, 06:46 AM
I can't believe my hubby is restraining from this one. He wants to so bad, but being the week after Wine & Dine, it's just a no go. Maybe next year! Best of luck everyone! :fingers:

Christine
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
No way Mel!? He loves inaugural races!! Poo.

AgentC
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I hope everyone who wanted to get in did. At 1:30 the Run Disney Facebook page have reported the 5K and Kid's races full and the 1/2 at 98%.

badkitty
03-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Did everybody who wanted to run get in?
clausjo, did you all get signed up?

All races are now sold out. Yikes. Only about 30 minutes for the 5K. I think that is a record.

Melanie
03-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Amazing!!! Of course, capacity is a bit smaller at Disneyland, right?

Hope everyone got in that wanted to.

Melanie
03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
No way Mel!? He loves inaugural races!! Poo.

It's a sad day in the Bounds household. :sad: LOL!

clausjo
03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
All 3 of us got in! But now I need to call Active because for some reason my son has 2 confirmations for the 5K and my daughter doesn't have one. We have 3 different confirmation numbers, just 2 with his name and 1 with mine.

Hope they can get it fixed!

clausjo
03-26-2014, 11:04 AM
All fixed - We're now all in for the 5K and me for the half. So excited!

badkitty
03-26-2014, 08:31 PM
All fixed - We're now all in for the 5K and me for the half. So excited!

:thumbsup: yay!

Lacy
03-26-2014, 09:23 PM
I set a reminder on my calendar and was luckily able to register right when it opened (got lucky with no meetings). But was not quick enough to get my son registered for the kids race. I've never had problems getting into the kids races before so wasn't concerned and then was shocked later when I checked and saw the sold out.

Not too bummed about the kids race as I'm super excited to participate in the inaugural half and know we will all enjoy a Disneyland getaway that time of year.

I'll be running solo so it would be great if I could meet up with other intercotees at the start!

It really is crazy to me how you have to be so ready when registration opens. When I started runDisney races 4 years ago there was no hurry and remember signing up for DL half months after it opened. But it is exciting to see the popularity and hope that it means they will keep adding more races like this one. Can't wait for a Star Wars theme!!!

clausjo
03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
I'll be running solo so it would be great if I could meet up with other intercotees at the start!

I'll be solo for the half and would love to meet up at the beginning!

I have no idea where we'll be staying yet either so any helpful suggestions are welcome. We've stayed at the Candy Cane Inn befoe, but I don't know if that's too far from the finish line.

Lacy
03-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks clausjo - that will be great! Always nice to have someone else during the wait.

I'm not sure where will we stay either - not sure if I want to wait until they publish a course map with the start and finish identified.

Melanie
03-29-2014, 07:31 AM
If you are staying off property, I'd suggest the Fairfield Inn on Harbor. Great location, and if you are sticking to the hotels on Harbor, none of them are that far away.

Melanie
08-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Added a picture of the just revealed medals to the original post.

badkitty
08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Added a picture of the just revealed medals to the original post.

YAY! Thank you! :D

clausjo
09-16-2014, 06:50 PM
So I've recently started a new job with my company and haven't had a ton of time to train. I started working towards increasing my mileage, even if it's mostly walking because I'm concerned about the distance. Now my knee is really hurting me. I had the same issue a couple of years ago and an MRI showed that its a bone bruise. The doc had no idea how I got it, but I was told to rest it and it will heal, which it did. I was able to do the Wine & Dine without any pain. But, with the run just a couple of months away at this point, rest isn't too much of an option. I'm thinking my best bet is to plan on walking most of it. Has anyone done that? Mainly walked? I'd be so upset if I got picked up by the sweepers!

Lacy
09-22-2014, 10:22 PM
The course is up! It looks like maybe slightly less time in the parks than DL Half and Tink but includes a run through Angel Stadium so it should be good!

Clausjo - good luck with the training. Any improvement since the last post?

I'm having a hard time getting up to get my training in during the morning with it staying dark longer and am worried the race is going to sneak up on me. But at least there is Disneyland after!!!

clausjo
11-04-2014, 07:13 PM
I can't believe the run is next weekend!

I'm able to run a little bit and am averaging about a 15 m/m pace with walking and a little running. I'm thinking that with the race excitement, I'll be able to run a bit more often for short periods of time.

I was freaking out a bit earlier, but feeling so much better about it now.

I'll be all alone the morning of the half if anyone wants to meet up.

Lacy
11-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Clausjo - I sent you a pm. It would be great to meet up with another intercotee as I'll be on my own race morning as well.

Right before the race starts is always the time I wish I could convince some of my other running buddies to pay the big $$ and go to California for races with me. The rest of the trip I have a great time with my fam and don't think twice about doing the races on my own.

badkitty
11-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I can't believe the race is almost here! I'll be at the race running alone as well while my dbf is sleeping. HA! I must be crazy. I'm really slow so I'm in corral G.

Good luck and take care of your injuries! :walk:

clausjo
11-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm in G too! Let me know if you want to meet up and we can be slow together.

badkitty
11-10-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm in G too! Let me know if you want to meet up and we can be slow together.

Sounds fun! We can encourage each other. I'm not as prepared as I had hoped to be so I'm really going to be trudging along. My plan is to do JG's run/walk ratio of 30/30 after exiting the parks (too hard to maintain through the narrow park course). Hopefully this will keep me ahead of the balloon ladies.

badkitty
11-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Good luck to all running the 5K!

Hi clausjo, did you get my PM I sent a few days ago?

Yungbuck73
11-15-2014, 04:23 AM
Good Luck to all running in the Avengers Weekend Races. You all will do great!!!!