PDA

View Full Version : From "FastPass Poker" to "FastPass Plus": Will I dig the change?

Babe the Blue Ox
02-20-2014, 02:14 PM
I'll start by saying that I was a big fan of the old Fast Pass system. The one where only the start time was enforced and they were good through the end of the day.

We got pretty good at the game called "Fast Pass Poker". it wasn't uncommon the gather 35-40 passes throughout the morning (7-8 sets of 5). If you fan them out, the colors kind of looked like a deck of cards. I think that's where the name came from. Anyway, we'd play the cards back to back to back during that late afternoon hours when it got really hot and really crowded.

Now, we're on our way back to the World and I'm learning what I can about the FP+ system. I like the fact that I can reserve ahead of time. We're getting older now and the thought of not chasing those ticket machines around all morning seems to be a plus too. But I don't like the 3 ride limit.

For those who have used the new system, how has it been going from multiple passes to 3 per day?

gerald72
02-21-2014, 03:09 AM
I played that game, too.
I have a few pics holding a whole deck fanned out.

NayLuvsDisney
02-21-2014, 12:44 PM
I have not had the chance to use this but I will next October. I can tell you that I am staying on site and I am really REALLY confused on how everything works and how it will work once I'm there. R u staying on site? Do you have magic bands?

I was actually a cast member when they started enforcing the end times.. If you were over 30 mins your fast pass was invalid... Yea... Not so much fun being the punching bag during that time! :)

Goofy Texan
02-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Basically it's the same game except you only get 3 rides during the hot afternoon instead of 5-7.

In the morning, instead of running around collecting paper FastPasses, you'll run around riding things you want to do more than once or don't want to use a FP+ on.

I played the game last November (no double dipping) and it was all good. It was a short trip and I only had arrival day time at Disney Studios. Because of FP+ I felt like I had a full park day.

Bruegge
02-23-2014, 09:04 PM
We got pretty good at the game called "Fast Pass Poker". it wasn't uncommon the gather 35-40 passes throughout the morning (7-8 sets of 5).

And you wonder why they changed the rules???

Speedy1998
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

:exactly:

AgentC
02-24-2014, 12:55 PM
I think it really depends on how you used the Fast Passes you got before.

If you used them to ride the same ride over and over, you are going to be disappointed since you can only use a FP+ on a ride once.

If you go at a really busy time of year when the stand by time tends to be high and used them to avoid waits (including those of 10-30) , you might be disappointed.

I used FP+ this last weekend. It was my second time trying it out. The first time was just me and my kids. This time was me, the husband and the kids. We had 3 FP+ a day and used them all.

For us, the biggest frustration is still Epcot. It is hard to ride both Soarin and Test Track the same day without getting there at rope drop (or at least early) or waiting in line. With the exception of Maelstrom which can build a line on busy days, the others really don't need a FP on an average day.

However even with that, we rode what was the important rides for us with our FP+. We went standby for other rides that interested us as long as the wait was 30 minutes or less. We spent a lot of time exploring, hanging out with friends, watching street shows etc. Everyone in my family felt this trip was just as successful as our last pre FP+ trip.

The qualifier to this though is we were never big FP users. In general we used the same number of FP+ as we would have "old" FP.

gerald72
03-01-2014, 12:15 AM

And what they were doing was completely within the rules at the time. So why shouldn't they have done it?

yankeesfan123
03-01-2014, 08:44 AM
How do you even get 7 sets of FP in one morning? The moment you get one set of FP, you couldnt get another until 2 hours later, or when your FP return window arrived. I guess if you had a FP return window for 20 minutes after you got the FP it might work...

Bruegge
03-01-2014, 09:10 AM
And what they were doing was completely within the rules at the time. So why shouldn't they have done it?
Because NOW the rules have changed for everyone... mostly for the worst

I never said they did anything wrong!

But if a group of people complain about not being able to get fast passes while another group figured out a "legal" way to get 40??? sooner or later the game is going to be changed...

simple as that

Look at Refillable Mugs.... some people (maybe a lot of people) while it's "legal" took advantage of the system to the point that RFI chips now have to be In the mug??? Really??? How much do you think that cost..All that For a drink cup Really!!. Oops... Gotta pay for that along with the new FP+ system ...another ticket price increase...what a surprise..(sarcasm intended)

joonyer
03-01-2014, 06:48 PM
. . . . But if a group of pebody ople complain about not being able to get fast passes while another group figured out a "legal" way to get 40??? sooner or later the game is going to be changed...

Except that this was never the case with the old FP system. Nobody was unable to get Fast Passes while other people were still able to get them. They may not have known how, or mistakenly thought you had to pay for them (anecdotal evidence about this is rampant). But if one guest was still able to get them, so could others. I know, more guests getting more FPs may have caused the allotted FPs for a particular ride on a particular day to be depleted sooner in the day, but no one was excluded from getting one while they were still available.

Speedy1998
03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Except that this was never the case with the old FP system. Nobody was unable to get Fast Passes while other people were still able to get them. They may not have known how, or mistakenly thought you had to pay for them (anecdotal evidence about this is rampant). But if one guest was still able to get them, so could others. I know, more guests getting more FPs may have caused the allotted FPs for a particular ride on a particular day to be depleted sooner in the day, but no one was excluded from getting one while they were still available.

Actually it was the case. Any time the parks were busy if you got to the park after 11, your chance of getting a fast pass to popular attractions like Soarin' or Toy Story Mania were almost zero. Let's look at it from Disney's point of view. People like us, that read intercot and other Disney related websites know that we need to get up early and get going before the crowds get to the parks. Disney knows that people like us will be coming back to the parks over and over (seriously is a change in the fastpass system really going to stop you from vacationing at WDW?)

What Disney is worried about are the people who are making their first trip. You know the type, "We are on vacation, we sleep in". These people don't know any better, show up to the parks between 11-noon, can not get fastpasses because they went during the peak season and the fastpasses are already all gone (at least for the most popular rides) so they wait 2 hours for soarin', have a miserable time and vow to never come back. This causes Disney to lose future customers, especially if those people tell friends that they had a miserable time. I think what Disney is trying to do is to make it so more people have a great time in the parks and do not have to wait in the standbye line for everything.

Personnally, I think I am ok with that.

joonyer
03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I understand your point, and it may be true that the new system is "fairer", depending on your point of view. I understand why the Disney management may think it helps their image with newbies.

But I've never thought that the concept of "the early bird get the worm" was unfair to begin with. But I can see how the "late birds" felt. Even before FPs were created, the early park goers got the benefit of short lines before the parks got crowded.

My point was that under the old FP system, everybody had an equal chance to get FPs. Nobody was prevented from getting one IF they were still available, except for that one nasty little condition; you had to actually be in the parks to get one.

Even now the new system still isn't really an equal chance for everyone. Only Disney's preferred class (those who spend $$$ for on-site lodging) can get them in advance. Before, it didn't cost anybody any extra $$$ to get up early and get to the park at rope drop for that TSM FP, so how could Disney possibly benefit from that? They could have just started selling FPs like some other theme parks, but instead, they hook us with the chance to book FPs in advance, IF we pay them to stay in their hotels. Pretty good business move on their part. We convinced ourselves that the only way to have an enjoyable theme park day is to avoid waiting in long lines, since some people (who may have gotten up early) got to pass us by in the FP line. But now, we get the chance to avoid some lines too, if we'll spend a little more to stay on-site. Brilliant.

The only completely "fair" system is to do away with FPs altogether and make everybody wait in the same lines. They did that for years. Nobody liked it.

Babe the Blue Ox
04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I just made my FP+ reservations. That was pretty simple. I'm looking forward to it.

Dsnygirl
04-16-2014, 03:22 AM
My point was that under the old FP system, everybody had an equal chance to get FPs. Nobody was prevented from getting one IF they were still available, except for that one nasty little condition; you had to actually be in the parks to get one.

Even now the new system still isn't really an equal chance for everyone. Only Disney's preferred class (those who spend $$$ for on-site lodging) can get them in advance. Before, it didn't cost anybody any extra $$$ to get up early and get to the park at rope drop for that TSM FP, so how could Disney possibly benefit from that? They could have just started selling FPs like some other theme parks, but instead, they hook us with the chance to book FPs in advance, IF we pay them to stay in their hotels. Pretty good business move on their part. We convinced ourselves that the only way to have an enjoyable theme park day is to avoid waiting in long lines, since some people (who may have gotten up early) got to pass us by in the FP line. But now, we get the chance to avoid some lines too, if we'll spend a little more to stay on-site. Brilliant.

The only completely "fair" system is to do away with FPs altogether and make everybody wait in the same lines. They did that for years. Nobody liked it.

Just an FYI on this - I called Disney yesterday b/c I was concerned with what might happen w/ the FP+ system for us if we bought tickets at the gate, day of arrival.

I was told two interesting things -

One - you do NOT have to be a hotel guest to use the FP+ system. If you stay off-site & buy tickets at the gate, they have a chip that allows you to link them to the FP+ system, and you can book FP+ immediately upon purchasing the tickets.

Second - you can buy your park tickets ahead of time, ONLY park tickets, no hotel stay required, and once you receive them, you can book your FP+ times up to 30 days in advance if you are not a hotel guest, and up to 60 days in advance if you are. So yes, you do lose a month if you are staying offsite - but I have to believe you still have a prayer of getting on your favorite rides.

So this is good news - we are usually hotel guests @ Disney, but as we are planning on moving to Florida, most of our upcoming trips down will be to research the area and we will only spend a day or two at Disney b/c of that. :( But at least now we can rest assured that we will get on our favorite rides... it'd be a rough day, otherwise! ;)

FaithTrustPixieDust
04-16-2014, 10:38 AM
People like us, that read intercot and other Disney related websites know that we need to get up early and get going before the crowds get to the parks.

What Disney is worried about are the people who are making their first trip.

My concern with the new system is that the people making their first trip, who may not obsess, research, and plan . . . they still may not know any better. FP+ works great for people who like to plan ahead and do their homework. However, those who DON'T may be turned off by the level of detailed planning they must do in advance just to make sure they can ride TSM or Soarin and get a reservation for dinner.

We just returned from our first trip with magic bands and FP+, and it worked smoothly. However, we had our itinerary planned out months ahead. People who like to go "on the fly" may be disappointed.

yankeesfan123
04-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I knew people who went years ago who had no idea that Fast Pass was available to anyone/everyone.

Two different friends of mine went and came back without ever using fast pass because they thought they had to pay extra because they were staying offsite.. I doubt they were the only ones.

i'm grumpy
04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
I hated running around collecting FPs and trying to get back to ride in time. Usually wound up on the other side of the park while waiting.
I had no idea you could still ride outside the time window on the ticket.

We have no smart phones and I don't understand the new system.

Babe the Blue Ox
05-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Trip is in 12 days. I'm really fired up now that I hear stories of folks getting 10 or more Fast Passes per day.

I think the rolling 4th pass will make this version better than the original.

Aurora
05-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Trip is in 12 days. I'm really fired up now that I hear stories of folks getting 10 or more Fast Passes per day.

I think the rolling 4th pass will make this version better than the original.

The irony here is, if you're able to get 10 or more FPs per day, you really don't need them. :shake:

Bruegge
05-19-2014, 11:33 PM
The irony here is, if you're able to get 10 or more FPs per day, you really don't need them. :shake:

"Irony can be pretty Ironic sometimes"

(quote: Naked Gun)

Just kidding ... you are indeed correct.. If you can get a FP for Soarin at 3:00pm for later that night .... your wait time would probably be less than 45 minutes....