PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom on the 4th of July?

kelly.garrett
02-18-2014, 06:24 AM
My cousin and her family have booked a 7-day trip to WDW in July, arriving just before the 4th. They are staying off-property and renting a car.

They are interested in going to the MK on the 4th of July, and they are wondering how early they should arrive at the park. Do they need to worry about the park reaching maximum capacity?

I have no experience going to WDW at this time of year, and I couldn't answer their questions; however, I knew some of you amazing Intercot members would be willing to share your experiences. :mickey:

faline
02-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Yes, the Magic Kingdom could reach capacity on the 4th of July. When crowds begin to build, Disney uses a system of tiered closings. The first to be refused admittance will be those who are staying off-site and driving into the parking lot. If they plan to visit the Magic Kingdon on the 4th of July, I'd suggest they arrive first thing in the morning (possibly before official opening time) and plan to stay for the duration.

indytraveler
02-18-2014, 08:37 AM
My family went to WDW for several years around the 4th of July. Plus we stayed off property too. This seemed to work for us and we use it still to this day when looking at which parks to attend on certain days.

1. Look at which days have EMH. Whatever day has morning EMH stay away from that park that day. Reason since you are not staying on property you have to assume 25% of guests will use it that day. so when you arrive the park feels "full". Same for EMH - evening. Show up the next morning.

2. Go the next day to that park. Since EMH were the day before I always felt safe showing up the next day.

3. Assume the worst crowds possible that day. If you put it in your mind that your wait times will be around 1 hr for every ride, you'll be pleasantly surprised when they are only 1/2 that time.

4. Have a plan for each park on a given day. Make sure you ride the rides you most want to do. So at the end of the day you can say we did everything we wanted to do.

We are a rope drop family. We are the ones who show up and get in line 15-30 min. before they let you in the park and stay until park closing. We feel our tickets are purchased outside a package deal so we want to get our money's worth. With that we schedule days off to hang out around Downtown Disney.

One thing we didn't do was be in the MK on the 4th. I assumed everyone wants to be there that day to see the fireworks. So the park will probably close. They actually preview some of the fireworks show the day before.

We have been in the MK on July 3rd, Dec. 24th, and Dec. 30th. The busiest of these three was Dec. 30th.

Hope this helps.

1DisneyNut
02-18-2014, 09:23 AM
We used to go on the 4th of July almost every year. It got so bad back around 2006 we stopped going to MK on the 4th. It was literally shoulder to shoulder and we couldn't move. It took us over an hour and a half to get from the entrance to the end of main street at the round about. When we got to that point we discovered they had the side exit open allowing people to exit on the side towards tomorrowland. We followed it and went right back out of the park, went to the hotel, got in the car and went over to Cocoa Beach for the day.

DizneyRox
02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't suggest MK on any major holiday, the 4th is no exception. If you decide, then as stated, go early and plan to stay inside the park until you are done.

Yes, they show them on the 3rd, but the crowds are no better. Last time we tried, we bailed at the Main Street train station. Too many people...

Epcot would be my choice, but it's not much better... It does hold crowds better.
Make sure they get their dining reservations settled, it's a long hot day in the park, restaurants will (they might already) be booked solid. A dining reservation does not guarantee admission to the park either.

joonyer
02-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Along with Christmas day and New Year's Eve, MK will be packed on the 4th of July. You must plan to get there at park opening to guarantee you can get in, especially if you are staying off-site. I would avoid that day if possible. Unless you just like standing shoulder to shoulder in a mass of people. Count on at least 90+ minute waits at every major attraction. I don't know what the deal with FP+ will be by this summer. Right now off-site guests can't make FP+ reservations in advance of park admission, so I wouldn't count on that helping much. The fireworks show is awesome, but it doesn't start until after dark, so it makes for a looooong day. If you leave the park after admission, you will most likely be unable to get back in.

vicster
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
We went to MK one year on the 4th and it was a nightmare. They did reach full capacity early afternoon and wouldn't let anyone else in. As if wall to wall people wasn't bad enough a bad lightening storm started and EVERYONE was trying to get out at the same time. Lesson learned

Main Street Jim
02-18-2014, 11:46 AM
they are wondering how early they should arrive at the park. Do they need to worry about the park reaching maximum capacity? Leave the hotel at about 6:00am, be in the parking lot by 6:45am, and at the turnstiles by 7:00am. Do NOT leave the park, or you won't be getting back in.

Yes, the park will reach capacity by about 12:00 noon, if not earlier. Lots of folks will be coming to MK from the other three parks later in the day for the parades and fireworks.