PDA

View Full Version : Do you think people steal often in Disney?

buzznwoodysmom
02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
I know there are people out there who steal. I was just wondering how much merchandise is stolen from Disney on a normal basis.

I recently ordered an iphone case on ebay. I paid just $15.00 for the case, $18.00 with S&H. When the case came in the mail over the weekend it was brand new and still in Disney packaging. The Disney price tag stated $35.99. I got to wondering if the case was stolen then sold on ebay. How else would the seller make any money?

And it doesn't seem to be a case that would have been purchased on sale in Disney or at one of the outlets. It's a brand new "2014" print. I mean...we are only half way through the 2nd month of 2014. I wouldn't think these cases would be going for less than half price already. Kinda makes me feel bad for having a case that might have been stolen.

VWL Mom
02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm sure merchandise is stolen on a daily basis, unfortunately that's the world we live in. Perhaps, in this case, someone received it as a gift and isn't a Disney fan? Another thing I've noticed is that when some people put something for auction they don't always enter a minimum bid, in that case they have to take what is offered.

Scar
02-17-2014, 04:37 PM
There is a recent post around here about Disney selling a new product, I think it was some sort of jewelry. At first they had it out on the counter and fairly quickly moved them behind glass. So yes... and probably more often then we might think. But not nearly as much as a retail store where you don't have to pay $90 to enter.

1DisneyNut
02-17-2014, 04:45 PM
There is also a huge problem with chinese counterfeit Disney merchandise on Ebay. Disney merchandise is one of the most popular so it is one of the most counterfeited.

There was a big problem with fake pins when pin trading was at its peak. People were unknowingly buying them on Ebay and then taking them to the parks to trade and were finding out the hard way they were knockoffs.

I'm not saying this particular one is counterfeit, I just thought I would mention it. They go to great lengths on some of the counterfeits too such as even duplicating the paperwork inside to increase the likelihood it will make it through customs if inspected.

buzznwoodysmom
02-17-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm sure merchandise is stolen on a daily basis, unfortunately that's the world we live in. Perhaps, in this case, someone received it as a gift and isn't a Disney fan? Another thing I've noticed is that when some people put something for auction they don't always enter a minimum bid, in that case they have to take what is offered.

This particular item was a "buy it now".

Sad thing is, theft is one of the reasons things cost so much.

buzznwoodysmom
02-17-2014, 07:11 PM
There is a recent post around here about Disney selling a new product, I think it was some sort of jewelry. At first they had it out on the counter and fairly quickly moved them behind glass. So yes... and probably more often then we might think. But not nearly as much as a retail store where you don't have to pay $90 to enter.

Not to knock locals, but I was thinking more along the line of locals going to downtown disney or the resorts, where there is no fee to enter. This item was shipped from Florida.

joonyer
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
IF it was stolen (no way to know for sure) it was most likely an employee of a business that stocks the item. In the retail industry, employee theft is rampant.

buzznwoodysmom
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
IF it was stolen (no way to know for sure) it was most likely an employee of a business that stocks the item. In the retail industry, employee theft is rampant.

Yeah, I know there is no way to know if my particular item was stolen or not. Still it just bothers me to think about it. Lol.

Scar
02-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Not to knock locals, but I was thinking more along the line of locals going to downtown disney or the resorts, where there is no fee to enter. This item was shipped from Florida.Never even thought of that, guess that's why I'm not a detective... or criminal. :blush:

captain j
02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
On a different path...We were on a Disney cruise s few years ago. My wife set our camera down on the shelf in the bathroom while she washed her hands. She then walked off and left the camera on the shelf. 10 minutes later it was gone. We checked with the lost and found every day for the rest of the cruise. Nobody turned in our camera. I realize it was my wife that left the camera on the shelf but another Disney cruiser STOLE it from us. I hope you enjoyed our family photos...:thedolls:

DonLefNY
02-25-2014, 09:02 AM
My daughter worked as a College Program CM a couple of years ago. Mostly at the Contemporary, but also at the Boardwalk and MK Main St. She says theft is rampant there. She said the CM 'sare not supposed to confront shoplifters, but to call security, but by the time they show up the shoplifter is long gone.

One popular system is groups come in and some will start asking the CM's questions while another with a diaper bag will shove stuff into the bag. Vinylmations were big theft items then.

#1donaldfan
02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I've often wondered the same thing. There are soooo many people crowded into the stores at various times that it would be impossible to see them all. Karma will get them eventually. :thumbsup: