PDA

View Full Version : Soarin

SueQ
02-16-2014, 09:19 AM
How is this ride with motion sickness?? I've never been on this before and would like to try on our upcoming vacation.

eandrsmom
02-16-2014, 09:31 AM
I've never had a problem with motion sickness on this ride. I don't do well on things that spin. It is a very gentle ride that makes you feel like you are hang gliding. You do feel like you are flying, so if heights are a problem you may have issues, but it isn't fast or scary in any way.

SueQ
02-16-2014, 09:34 AM
I don't think the height will bother me. I was worried about feeling sick. I think this will be the first ride we head to when park opens.

Eric87
02-16-2014, 09:46 AM
You won't have any issues at all. It's a very smooth ride. I get close to uneasy on rides like Star Tours and multiple rides on ToT, but this ride doesn't bother me a bit!

1DisneyNut
02-16-2014, 09:54 AM
I get sick on simulators like Star Tours and I could get sea sick standing in a mud puddle but Soarin doesn't bother me at all. I can ride it over and over.....you will be fine.

Bruegge
02-16-2014, 09:57 AM
This has movement but like they say in OmniMax theaters.... If you feel overwhelmed... just close your eyes.

BTW... I Loved this Ride

d_m_n_n
02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I get motion sick on a carousel and every simulator, but I have no problem with Soarin. In fact, it is my absolute favorite!!! You should be fine :mickey:

Aurora
02-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Seriously, my motion sickness is so bad that sometimes if I turn my head too fast I get woozy. This ride doesn't move your body too much or throw off your equilibrium, and most of the movie shots are forward motion, not back and forth. So you should be fine. I've never heard of anyone having motion sickness problems on Soarin.

Melanie
02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I get motion sickness frequently, and I love this ride. Only part I ever have issues with is the LA city night scene towards the end. I always just close my eyes. You should be fine!

SueQ
02-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Great to hear. I'm looking forward to going on this.

azcavalier
02-17-2014, 08:48 AM
From what I've experienced, the only people who have a problem with this ride are those who have a fear of heights.

AndrewJackson
02-17-2014, 09:03 AM
I have motion sickness issues, but have never had a problem on Soarin'. It also has a nice breeze blowing through the room, so it feels refreshing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-17-2014, 10:36 AM
This is good news my mom has motion sickness issues too she's been known to get sick from IMAX she is thinking about trying it

DonaldDuckUSA
02-18-2014, 08:22 AM
I get sick on Star Tours/EE, but Soarin is lovely. No motion sickness at all.

I will say, my MIL has vertigo, and Soarin really messes with her inner ear. She said it was because it take you up high (and she really had no perspective during the ride of how high she actually was).

wjdoc
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Not to piggyback on another post but since it's near the top...

I haven't been on Soarin for many years but when I go back, my 4 year old son will be tall enough to ride. He's an adrenaline junky, so I don't worry about him being scared, but he's pretty skinny. Any chance that I have to worry about him sliding out of the harness or is it good for all sizes?

PopPhan
02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Not to piggyback on another post but since it's near the top...

I haven't been on Soarin for many years but when I go back, my 4 year old son will be tall enough to ride. He's an adrenaline junky, so I don't worry about him being scared, but he's pretty skinny. Any chance that I have to worry about him sliding out of the harness or is it good for all sizes?

There is a mid seat strap to go between the legs of smaller riders - makes a 3-point harness. At 4, he will probably need this anyway.

Maddie
02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
It moves very slowly. The only worry is with height. If heights cause you sickness I would stay away but the movement is as gentle as walking around.

whitney37354
02-20-2014, 03:13 PM
DH & DD both get motion sickness & neither has a problem with it at Soarin'.

minnie04
02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I think the trick is to never look directly down when things are moving fast towards you. (I hope you understand what I mean) I don’t get sick at all, but you will feel a little like your flying/floating (I know duh you are), but it does help to look forward when you feel a little motion sick. It is such a cool ride. I hope you try it and enjoy it. :cloud9:

Janmac
02-21-2014, 05:02 PM
The folks in our extended family group that have motion sickness love Soarin'. NO problems at all. Tea Cups is a whole 'nother story, tho. And my sister won't consider Dumbo at all.

I have depth perception problems (3-D movies are not three dimensional despite the glasses) and Soarin' really wreaked havoc with my brain, the first time. Things actually improved when the movie shifted to after dark. Took about 30 minutes after leaving the attraction before my disorientation departed. No urpy tummy, tho. Just a muddled head.

Next trip I tried Soarin' with my glasses (distance correction - used for driving) and had a great time. Also the 3-D movies are way better now.

Jan