PDA

View Full Version : Menzel To Perform "Let It Go" At 2014 Oscars

Ian
02-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Singer/actress Idina Menzel will perform “Let it Go” from the Disney smash hit Frozen during the Oscars, ABC announced Tuesday, leaving no doubt that the film’s best-selling soundtrack has earned its place in pop culture history.

The animated fairy tale Frozen is up for two Oscar nominations. “Let it Go,” the flick’s theme song, is a nominee in the Best Original Song Category alongside “Happy” (from Despicable Me 2), “Ordinary Love” (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) and “The Moon Song” (Her).

The Oscars – which will be broadcast live on Sunday, March 2 on ABC – marks the first time that Menzel will sing “Let it Go” for a global live audience.

“It’s really happening,” wrote Menzel on Twitter Tuesday morning. “I’m singing on the Oscars! Surreal. Thank u frozen family and Oscar producers for this incredible opportunity.”

But despite calling the news “surreal,” Menzel – a Tony Award winner – seems to have already begun practice live renditions of “Let it Go” in anticipation of her performance on film’s biggest evening.

The 42-year-old – whose previous movie roles include “Enchanted” and “Rent” – took to the stage last Sunday in Los Angeles as part of a live cabaret with fellow Frozen cast mates Kristen Bell and Santino Fontana, earning a standing ovation from the audience with her solo performance of the catchy Disney tune.

Frozen – directed by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee – has proved to be a success for Disney , earning more than $900 million dollars at the box office worldwide. The film will be available for download on Feb. 25 and Blu-ray/DVD release on March 18.

Melanie
02-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Love this news. Love her and love the song!

MNNHFLTX
02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I was hoping this would be the case. The Best Original Song nominees are usually performed during the show, so I knew there was a good chance. She really is such an amazing singer!

Ian
02-15-2014, 02:59 PM
She is ... It won't be enough to get me to actually watch the Oscars, but I will DVR it so I can fast forward until I find her performance.

I watched YouTube of her singing it at the 2013 D23 Expo and it was really cool.

No pun intended ;)

Melanie
02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
But unfortunately, it probably won't be a win. :(

MNNHFLTX
02-16-2014, 01:18 AM
I think it has a real chance, Mel. I hope it does. :fingers:

Melanie
02-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I think it has a real chance, Mel. I hope it does. :fingers:

I hope I'm wrong, but the Mandela song will likely take it. Such a shame. Any other year, Let it Go would probably run away with it.

Middle of the Map
02-22-2014, 10:55 PM

You're probably right. Oscar tends to ignore animated films for whatever reason, but no one is going to be humming any other song but "Let It Go" for the next few years - ha ha.

MNNHFLTX
02-22-2014, 11:49 PM
You're probably right. Oscar tends to ignore animated films for whatever reason, but no one is going to be humming any other song but "Let It Go" for the next few years - ha ha.

Actually Best Original Song is one category that animated films (Disney and Pixar films, in particular) have received credit for in recent years, starting with Beauty and the Beast back in 1992.

Katzateer
02-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Love this news. Love her and love the song!

:thumbsup:

Middle of the Map
02-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Actually Best Original Song is one category that animated films (Disney and Pixar films, in particular) have received credit for in recent years, starting with Beauty and the Beast back in 1992.

Given the attitude in Hollywood about "cartoons", I'm always shocked when an animated feature gets nominated for anything. Let It Go is a soaring tune that gets under your skin. I'm rooting for it, but won't be surprised if it doesn't win.