PDA

View Full Version : The new Test Track

brad817
02-13-2014, 07:26 PM
I just rode the new Test Track for the first time. Is it just me or was the old queue and ride much better? The new one reminds me of Tron and there's no story. I guess designing your own car is kind of cool and goes along with the interactive queue theme that Disney likes, but the rest of the queue is bad. I liked seeing the car "stuff" and all the details. The ride has the same track but it just doesn't feel the same? Where's the hot room? Where's the cold room? Where's the bumps? The story was all about how a real car actually gets tested. Now I'm not sure what it is. The semi that jumps out at you is still there, but it just seems horribly out of place now.

I'm not much of a complainer and generally like everything Disney does, but this really shocked me. I came out of that ride thinking the old Test Track was far superior to the new one.

Melanie
02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
You are not the only one longing for the old version. I liked it, outdated or not.

Bruegge
02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I just rode the new Test Track for the first time. Is it just me or was the old queue and ride much better? The new one reminds me of Tron and there's no story. I guess designing your own car is kind of cool and goes along with the interactive queue theme that Disney likes, but the rest of the queue is bad. I liked seeing the car "stuff" and all the details. The ride has the same track but it just doesn't feel the same? Where's the hot room? Where's the cold room? Where's the bumps? The story was all about how a real car actually gets tested. Now I'm not sure what it is. The semi that jumps out at you is still there, but it just seems horribly out of place now.

I'm not much of a complainer and generally like everything Disney does, but this really shocked me. I came out of that ride thinking the old Test Track was far superior to the new one.

I rode it twice in 2007, I remember it kept breaking down and left us in line trying to decide if we should wait or leave... Both times... it was short delays but.... it was a bother.

Is the reliability improved?

Altair
02-13-2014, 08:15 PM
At least the spin around the outside is still fun, not much going on other than that. :(

MickeysBestPal
02-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Is the reliability improved?

Nope.

All they changed during the ride sections are the set pieces and scenes along the track.

MargaretMessler
02-14-2014, 09:20 AM
I preferred the old version as well

sorcerer fan
02-14-2014, 09:37 AM
ditto

Terra
02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I do miss the old "testing" feel. I wish they could have combined both better. Instead of making it so Tron feeling and race car type.

I wish they had where you could still design a futuristic car with safety features and such and still had the all the testing but made it more up to date.

I do like they they were trying to keep in line with the "Community of Tomorrow" feel, but it's too futuristic and not realistic enough.

DizneyFreak2002
02-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Inside the new Test Track: looks cool, futuristic.. Yes, Tron-ish...

The over all ride: boring... I don't care about making or designing my own car.. I don't care to compete against the other people in the vehicle with me to see who made the best car... I was bored to tears on the new Test Track... Very disappointed...

The old version was much better, and the old version was terrible... But at least had a better story and made much more sense...

Mousemates
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
The old version was much better, and the old version was terrible... But at least had a better story and made much more sense...

I agree 90%...would change the word "terrible" to "tolerable" though. I've just never really gotten the appeal of a "thrill ride" that is the equivalent of riding on a state highway in a convertible with the top down.

Gator
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
I do wish that they'd take the Tron feel that it has and upgrade it to include more Tron-ish features. I mean, it is in Future World, and what's more futuristic than Tron style computer battles. Add in some Daft Punk music and people would love this ride.

MCeee
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Liked the original much better!

Christine
02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
To quote my DD14 after our first ride on Radiator Springs Racers in DCA- "Test Track is dead to me!!"

That sums it all up for me. :)

We don't like either one now.

MickeysBestPal
02-15-2014, 10:03 AM
To quote my DD14 after our first ride on Radiator Springs Racers in DCA- "Test Track is dead to me!!"

For sure!

JerseyDad
02-15-2014, 11:06 AM
....I wasn't impressed with the "ride" aspect of the new Test Track. It felt more "Real Test Trackish" in the previous iteration.

....the shiny bells & whistles aspect is definitely eye-candy for those that appreciate that type of experience.

....but we were kinda' left hungry for something more filling to the overall senses.

WDWFRK
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I was also really disappointed with the Test Track refurb; I liked the old one much better!

kakn7294
02-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I liked designing your own car but that's about it. I preferred the old version too.

Quadstriker
02-15-2014, 12:53 PM

That sums it all up for me. :)

We don't like either one now.

Word. For me it's a 100% replacement ride the same way Toy Story eliminated my desire to ever go on Buzz.

Arielfan98
02-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Inside the new Test Track: looks cool, futuristic.. Yes, Tron-ish...

The over all ride: boring... I don't care about making or designing my own car.. I don't care to compete against the other people in the vehicle with me to see who made the best car... I was bored to tears on the new Test Track... Very disappointed...

I agree except I thought the old version was "good" not terrible. Putting aside the fact that the little screens in the cars didn't work, I thought everything about the old test track was fine.

JerseyDad
02-15-2014, 05:09 PM
....I should add ....the previous Test Track version's queue ....also smelled a bit like an auto repair / factory (oil, electrical odor ..ozone, rubber ...etc). It really lent itself to the overall experience.

..... maybe they need to have 'new car smell' wafting thru the current version? Though ...I'm not sure what new cars will smell like in the 'future'.

DonaldDuckUSA
02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I liked the old one and I like the new one.

The only reason I was glad they changed TT is because everyone had been on it, to the point where they talked through the pre-show, or they talked along with it. Annoying.

My only complaint is that I have yet to design a car because we don't stay on site and we haven't done FP+. Will this ever be open for us regular folks?

Maddie
02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
The new one is very confusing to me. This is because the old test track was a perfect representation of feeling like a "test dummy." The new ride does not have that feel its almost as if they should of just changed the whole name and made it an entirely new ride. Test Track is still one of my favorites though, shooting out through the wall and out onto the track is a blast, but the concept is now lacking.

#1donaldfan
02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Well, at least I can save a premium FP for another ride. The old version was ok to me, but was becoming boring, so much so we'd do single rider just to get through it as quickly as possible, now I'm not even wasting my time over there !! :thumbsup:

azcavalier
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I like the new one fine. I liked the old one as well...liked the idea of being a crash-test dummy.

I've ridden the new one a few times. The first time I didn't like it at all...it was confusing and disjointed. I got off of it thinking that it was much like trying to push a square peg through a round hole with the repurposing of some parts of the track (such as the tractor trailer). The second go-round, I liked it much better.

thrillme
03-13-2014, 08:24 AM
I haven't been yet but my son just got back. Called me and said " :(THEY RUINED IT"

DonaldDuckUSA
03-13-2014, 11:03 AM
I do wish that they'd take the Tron feel that it has and upgrade it to include more Tron-ish features. I mean, it is in Future World, and what's more futuristic than Tron style computer battles. Add in some Daft Punk music and people would love this ride.

I completely agree! I'm really not one to mourn the changing of rides (except alien encounter into Stitch).

I think it looks good, but you're right, it's missing a little dash of salt or something. Battles would be cool.

I do agree with the original poster about the queue. I actually don't mind most disney lines because there is stuff to look at. Not the case here.

thrillme
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
My son called me at work from Disney just yesterday...complaining about it...he was quite upset. No more Hot/Cold room, no more "bumps"... What were they thinking????

(PS...We really liked "Alien Encounter" over "Stitch" by a long shot...the "Grown Ups" were hilarious...:thedolls:...some of them seemed to believe the aliens had REALLY landed in Disney..."People watching" amused us so much, we rode it multiple times....)

mcjaco
03-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Not a fan of the new Test Track. I think it's Tron in box. Nothing about it excites me.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
03-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Another vote for liking the old version better.

SueQ
03-19-2014, 11:32 AM
I've never been on Test Track before. We have fastpasses for it on our trip in 10 days!! How is this ride with motion sickness??

mcjaco
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
It's riding in a car. Though test manuevers. Do you get sick in a car?

Jared
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm misguided, but I tend to prefer the current version. It has ambition that suits Epcot in a way very few attractions in the park still do.

Sure, the plot is utterly incoherent. It makes no sense. But it has ideas and at least makes an effort to belong in Future World. The old Test Track was soulless. And while it was easier to follow, the story that was there was vapid and lame.

Test Track now as an eye on the future. It could use a pair of glasses, though.

SandmanGStefani24
03-22-2014, 03:19 AM
I def preferred the old version, but one thing kept coming back to me.

Today, cars are tested on computers many times before being actually built. While the final test may be on the old style test track, they never make it in reality before being simulated. the old test track was great IMO, but to be more relevant to today's time I think they did an amazing job. It's a nice spin on an older classic.

but who wouldn't love a modern version of World of Motion? :D

tiggerbuddy
03-22-2014, 07:38 AM
I agree !! :thumbsup:

You are not the only one longing for the old version. I liked it, outdated or not.

DisneyDawgette
03-22-2014, 09:56 AM
I can't say that I hate the new one... I did enjoy the old version, but I enjoy the new one as well- that is, when it decides to work. ><

jclightchasr
03-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Although I am normally very nostalgic I have never been a fan of Test Track's original version. I have not ridden the newer version, although it looks like an improvement to me on what I thought was...well, kinda boring. I wouldn't mind if they totally revamped the whole thing and went entirely to a Tron theme.
That said, I would prefer World of Motion so I guess my purist side still shines through.

DKA041177
03-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I will be riding the new one for the first time in September. These comments are not making me excited.

BrerGnat
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I like the new one better. My son never wanted to ride the old one. I showed him videos of the new version prior to our last trip and it ended up being his favorite ride. He rode it over 10 times. I rode it about 5 times with him. I think it is a huge improvement (visually) over the old version.

texas211
03-22-2014, 05:13 PM
I prefer the new version of the queue and line. I think it is a faster way to pass the time. As far as the ride itself, I do prefer the old version for the most part.