PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose vs Brown Derby

FaithTrustPixieDust
02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
We haven't ever eaten at either of these. We are NOT on the dining plan and we are NOT doing the Fantasmic dinner package.

We have 2 kids ages 10 and 13 and I will cross my fingers that they may be allowed to order off the children's menu. Wouldn't surprise me if my 13 yr old foodie tired to order a $38 gourmet dinner . . . .

Anyway, I see some mixed reviews on both of these restaurants.

Mickey'sGirl
02-13-2014, 03:05 PM
My kids love the Brown Derby (currently aged 15 and 10 and have eaten there 3 times), but absolutely did not like Mama Melrose (only tried once because they did not like the food). I'm sure others will have different opinions, but I voted for the Brown Derby.

Strmchsr
02-13-2014, 03:26 PM
We're the total opposite of Jennifer. Brown Derby was way too "froo-froo" for our tastes. Mama Melrose isn't best Italian ever (Via Napoli is our favorite Italian) but it's solid and we all like the food. My boys especially dig the Spaghetti and Meatballs cupcake. If your family are "foodies" and like the higher style cuisine, Brown Derby is great. If you're more basic and not as adventurous in your food, Mama Melrose (or even Prime Time) would be a better choice.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-13-2014, 04:38 PM
We've eaten at both, once at HBD as part of a Fantasmic dinner plan, while on the DDP and twice at Momma Melrose.

I would think, in general, HBD would be a bit high-brow for teen/tweenagers, but you'd know your kids best. When we dined there I know the impression I came away with was, "this is a signature restaurant?" Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I thought the food was bad, but we had eaten at both Yachtsman Steakhouse and Artist Point that trip, both signature restaurants, and I didn't think HBD came up to their standards.

I've heard some say MM is just a fancy Olive Garden, idk, maybe. We found the food to be really good both times, the kids loved it (younger then your kids) and I liked the ambiance.

I just haven't had any desire to go back to HBD, especially at signature prices.

MNNHFLTX
02-13-2014, 10:22 PM
I voted for Mama Melrose overall for food and ambience. That said, the Cobb salad and grapefruit cake at Brown Derby are amazing.

Adambomb85
02-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Brown Derby wins for me everytime. Coming from New York, I am a bit particular about my italian food MM doesn't quite make it for me. Saying that, I love getting the Cobb Salad for my entree at the Derby - nice change of pace from a lot of the more heavier food.

FaithTrustPixieDust
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Great feedback folks, BUT . . . we are currently tied 50-50 on the votes! :confused:

Strmchsr
02-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Great feedback folks, BUT . . . we are currently tied 50-50 on the votes! :confused:

I don't think you'll get a clear cut winner. Check out the menus and decide which your family would like better. They are two very different places.

Dulcee
02-14-2014, 05:01 PM
We've done both. We love signature dining (I'd consider myself a foodie) but Brown Derby was disappointing our last trip. It'll be a bit til we're back.

Mama Melrose has never let us down.

TinkerbellT421
02-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I agree with Chris, you're not going to see a clear cut winner. Both of these always get mixed reviews. You should look at the menus and judge based on what you know your kids and family will likely try and hope for the best.

Grace
02-15-2014, 07:32 AM
:mickey: We've done both, family of 6. We enjoy both, for different reasons.
Had a superb filet at BD last month. Outstanding entrees, all around, top level service too. We all shared the dessert, and they brought it out with an artful arrangement of 6 spoons, LOL.
Have to give the edge to Brown Derby :)

Davy Crockett
03-01-2014, 03:55 PM
IF money is not part of the consideration then I would have to vote for the Brown Derby. We have eaten at both many times and we like both, but there is a vast difference in the cost of a dinner from one to the other. The Cobb salad at the BD is one of the best I've ever had and I highly recommend trying it. We are booked at Mama Melrose this trip as we don't think the Brown Derby is so good that we want to use 2 TS to eat there.

You mentioned the children and being able to order off the kid's menu - I think in either location it will be driven by how big your boy's are physically and your server. The kid's menu is for 3 to 9 year olds, but I don't know how strict they become being you are not on the dining plan.