PDA

View Full Version : Visit Frequency to WDW....?

RavsRuleDisney!
02-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I think about this periodically concerning how often people - if you could and being realistic/honest about it - would visit Disney. We have averaged once a year over the past decade or so. We come from Jersey so not terribly close. My ideal frequency would be twice a year - enough to experience a few new things each visit but not too often that the trips lose their "specialness". I feel if I went more often than that the visits would become common and lose that excitement -the anticipation leading up to departure day, etc.

Sooo....what would your ideal frequency be to heading to the World?! :mickey::mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
For the past 12 years we have visited 1-2 times per year. If I had to "average" it I would say about every 9 months.

I am not sure if that's been too often for my family, or if all the recent changes have affected our feelings, but this year we are not visiting at all. We really feel the need for a break. There is no excitement in thinking about a trip right now. Sometimes I feel like I am really missing Disney, and would love to be planning a trip. However, after our two trips last year I have come to realize that what I am really missing is past trips, my old Disney. These last two trips left a lot to be desired. These trips just didn't seem to be worth the amount of money we dished out. I have considered it could just be, like you said, we have gone too often that it's become ordinary, too common, we have lost the excitement.

So I guess in the past I would have said every 9 months was ideal, just not sure how frequent I feel is ideal right now.

Dopey's Girl
02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd go twice a year. Once for Flower and Garden, once for Food and Wine.

mickclub1955
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I like the frequency we go now. Once every two to three years. It keeps it fresh for us.

disneymom15
02-11-2014, 02:14 PM
For us it's at least twice a year. I do at times feel as though the magic has lessened, but, I enjoy each and every trip and look forward to our next trip.

wdwaggie
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Our last trip was in 2011, 2006 before that, we are planning a trip this year 2014...so on average, our trips are about 2-3 years apart. For us this seems about right, just enough time to make you really miss and apprecaite going back and just enough changes in the parks to do new stuff and still cherish your old favorites.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
The frequency of visits is just about perfect for me--once a year with friends (to either Disneyland or WDW) and every other year or so with my family. If an extra trip pops up here and there, that's okay too.

brownie
02-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Not often enough! I would like to get there at least once a year but that's not happening right now.

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
I'd go twice. Once in May and again in December.

Dulcee
02-11-2014, 04:44 PM
We really enjoy one long trip, once a year.

sassafras
02-11-2014, 06:09 PM
We used to go 2-3 times a year when we lived in Indiana and I was working. Now we're in Illinois, I'm not working, and the price of airfare is getting ridiculous, so it's once a year!

Kairi_7378
02-11-2014, 07:02 PM
I think for our family, once every 2-3 years for a 7 day stay is the best fit. We took back to back trips in 2011 and 2012 and while they were incredible trips, my husband and I thought that we needed a little bit more time between trips. It was REALLY hard to turn down the 40% PIN code we got about 6 months after that second trip!

Kanga-Roo
02-11-2014, 08:14 PM
We usually try and go every couple of years but airfare from UK is really making a difference for us. This year we are going to AKL, then down to The Keys for a few days, heading to Vero Beach for a few days and finally back to AKL for a week before we fly home. We end up coming for longer but less often because of the flight prices.

vizsla
02-12-2014, 04:13 AM
We go yearly for a 12-14 day trip and sometimes we will sneak in a second trip for a week.

joonyer
02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
we'd love to be able to go more often, but it's been several years since our last trip, although our boys have been with church and school groups in that time. It's mainly because of a money thing, college expenses and all that.
DW and I are hoping to be able to go just the two of us later this year or next spring.

Lindsey310
02-12-2014, 07:08 PM
We go twice a year, once in feb/march and again in either late summer or early fall (once at christmas time) I can't get enough of this place. I would go 3 times a year if I could: once for flower and garden, once for food and wine/Halloween and once for Christmas. :blush:

VacationDisney
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
We go every about every 2 years. When we first started to go our daughter was 3 1/2 and we went every 4-5 years until she reached her late teens. Before she got married we would take a mom & daughter trips so I have been more to WDW than my husband. We do manage to go on a pretty regular basis. :cloud9:

Hoping to go this August:thumbsup:

Giggy
02-16-2014, 08:29 AM
We've been a few times, it initially worked out every 3 years: 1998, 2001, 2004. It wasn't planned, that was just how it worked out sorting out the money. We then broke the pattern and waited 6 years until 2010. Real life things such as University and moving house got in the way! The original plan had been to aim for 2016 next but it will be a case of working out when is a time that everyone can make. We're grown ups (supposedly!) so have more other commitments too.

If money were no option I would probably want to aim for every 2 years as an optimal amount. Then again in that position maybe I'd then want even more still. :secret:

Arielfan98
02-18-2014, 12:28 AM
I would enjoy twice but that is not something my family can afford. As it is, going once a year is a luxury and is appreciated by all since my family knows not every family can afford to go once a year or at all.
This year I am excited to say, we are going to DISNEYLAND for August!! Yes, we are taking a break from the world, but are excited to take on new adventures. It's tough for a wdw "know-it-all" to experience that spontaneous curiosity that comes with a WDW Disney vacation, so this time we're going to be complete newbies to Disneyland.

Figment104
03-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Ideally probably once a year to possibly twice a year. I've had a few times where we've had a few years break in between (longest was 4 years) and we've actually being doing really well at every year. Just recently we took a bit of a break due to having DS, and we'll probably take another short break from going when eventual DC #2 comes a long (whenever that may be). But I hope we'll be able to get back to and continue every year.

Scallywag
03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
If airfare were cheaper, we would go every year. It averages out to every other year for us. We get our fix reading about other peoples trips, it keeps us hungry to go back.

DonLefNY
03-12-2014, 07:34 AM
The wife and I were averaging two or three visits a year before we started snowbirding down here a few years ago. Right now we/I average two days a week during the winter, course some of the visits now can be just for a meal. :mickey: This week I spent two half days so far.

TheVBs
03-13-2014, 07:55 AM
We go every other year and take different vacations in between. We've found that's our ideal. We really want to experience other destinations. If we went to Disney every year, not only would we not be able to do that, but we feel confident that going every year would be too much for us. Giving that time in between and the different experiences really helps us enjoy our WDW visits.

1DisneyNut
03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
For the past 12 years we have visited 1-2 times per year. If I had to "average" it I would say about every 9 months.

I am not sure if that's been too often for my family, or if all the recent changes have affected our feelings, but this year we are not visiting at all. We really feel the need for a break. There is no excitement in thinking about a trip right now. Sometimes I feel like I am really missing Disney, and would love to be planning a trip. However, after our two trips last year I have come to realize that what I am really missing is past trips, my old Disney. These last two trips left a lot to be desired. These trips just didn't seem to be worth the amount of money we dished out. I have considered it could just be, like you said, we have gone too often that it's become ordinary, too common, we have lost the excitement.

So I guess in the past I would have said every 9 months was ideal, just not sure how frequent I feel is ideal right now.

This is pretty close to ours as well. We used to go a little more frequently.....sometimes 2 week long trips and then third long weekend trip. As the price increases became more outrageous each and every year over the last 5 years we have cut back on WDW trips and started going elsewhere. We have had some really good trips to other destinations lately.

This year we also are not going to WDW at all. I simply do not have the patience to deal with all the nonsense and trouble involved in setting up a trip there right now. I don't want a vacation to be a job and completely preplanned every minute of every day.....that is just irritating.

We are however going to Disneyland for the first time this summer if everything works out. There we can still just show up and go at our vacation without any major planning.

Cinderelley
03-24-2014, 06:17 AM
We went every year until I got sick. It has been about 4 years, since I was there. Initially I was looking forward to getting back into the once a year routine. Now that I've had to start dealing with the new system, I think this is our last visit. I am excited about my trip to Disneyland though. :number1:

Terra
03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
The wife and I were averaging two or three visits a year before we started snowbirding down here a few years ago. Right now we/I average two days a week during the winter, course some of the visits now can be just for a meal. :mickey: This week I spent two half days so far.

Hello fellow Polk County friend!!!

I'm in Babson Park. I know it would be way different if we lived out of state. Probably only every couple of years.

Now, we go at least 1-2 times a month. I like to do "mini-vacations" as well. Usually 2-3 times a year!
Generally we stay off property. But recently I found out one of my co-workers works there on the weekends and she said let her know when I want to stay on property and she'll get me the friends/family discount!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Every three years for us so far, it may be longer after this upcoming trip as I've promised my mom a trip to Wyoming.

2Epcot
03-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Used to be every 3 years for us, like clockwork. The trips have gotten further apart. We are also coming from the West coast, so Disneyland is our primary park. I'd love to get back to every 2 or 3 years regularly.

LudwigVonDrake
03-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I usually go every year but if I could I'd go 2-3 times a year. I guess I have to wait until I'm retired :mickey:

azcavalier
04-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Once we started going, it was usually about once a year for ten days or so. Then we moved, got different jobs, etc, and we still continued to go once a year, but started driving and cut it down to 7-8 days of actual park time.

Then we bought a couple of small DVC contracts that totaled 50 points, which is enough for the wife and I to go every other year for four days. Since the direct flights from Roanoke to Orlando fly on Sundays and Thursdays, this works out perfectly. So we added those trips to our regular family trips.

Then last year they started offering DVC discounts on annual passes. We went in November as a family, then just the two of us in April for our anniversary, then again as a family in late August/early September. Then, this year we decided to do the annual passes again, and we're taking the kids for a surprise trip to Star Wars Weekends in late May. Then we're coming back in October (my alma mater is playing UCF on ESPN Thursday night), so we're making a WDW trip out of it. Then to top it off, we're coming back as a family in early January.

Whew! So, it used to be once a year, but we will actually manage to visit 6 times in 26 months.

Arielfan98
04-27-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd have to wholly agree with you. I live in your neck of the woods and Florida is no trip the Jersey Shore, so the cost of flight tickets/gas to get there is put into account. Second, because of conflicting times of the year, my family finds we cannot go during "off seasons" when free dining is offered. Even though I am fortunate enough to go once a year for a week, my family has always found that going once a year is not enough. Twice a year would satisfy our "Disney hunger".

birdie1410
08-09-2014, 03:18 PM
When we first moved to FL from MI, we decided if there was any way to afford it, we'd be passholders, and we were for 10 years. During that time we made trips as often as once a MONTH to 4 times a year. The last year we were passholders (we are again now), we only went a few times because of so many changes and the crowds getting worse and ruder.
Now we are passholders again because our grandkids are going....so, if I didn't have to work, we'd probably be going at least once a month again. lol Yup, we are hooked on the mouse.:mickey:

Capt_redshirt
08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
ive been going every 2 years for the last 5 years. in all honesty i get the bug to go back about a year out from the next (hopefully) trip..

RunDMV
08-09-2014, 06:21 PM
We were twice a year visitors for better than a decade and a half. We always went for the marathon, then had a september or october trip.

Over the years, we have soured on the mouse. Where we could once afford to stay deluxe, use the dining plan, and stay 10 days or more at a a time, we continued to have to cut back as we were nickled and dimed into oblivion and felt like the value for the money just wasnt worth it to us. (Who remembers apps, entre, drinks ANzd desert on the dining plan, the same rate on hotels on weekends as during the week, longer "value seasons," and LOS without having to purchase an extra park hopper option?)

We continued to have to cut back going from, deluxe to moderate to value. From dining plan, to paying for table service to mostly counter service, from non expiring passes, to LOS, to paying for park hoppers. Eventually, dollar to enjoyment ratio just wasnt worth it to us anymore.

Couple that with constant techincal glitches, Yeti that doesnt work, reduced monorail hours, refurbs the EXACT same week year after year after year (splash mountain down EVERY marathon weeked for years in a row),Dumbo by any other name (Triceritops Spin or Aladin's Carpets) is still Dumbo, unimaginative new attractions that have little more than cardboard cut-outs, and literally duct tape holding things together.

Throw in FP+ and we have had enough. Its been 2 years since our last trip and we just dont want to spend more of our hard earned money for what we view constant diminishing value.

Main Street Jim
08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
As a kid growing up in Vero Beach, we'd make day trips about four or five times a year (in the '70s and '80s).

From about 1990 to 1999, I didn't get down there but *once* when I was in the military, Christmas week 1998.

After I got out and we moved back to Melbourne, we were annual passholders - for a whole year and a half. :) We'd even make trips to the parks just for the Millennium stuff - MSEP, ToN, and the "new" Illuminations - in the evenings during the week, then drive back. Then I started working at MK, and my wife (at the time) followed shortly, and we'd be at the parks four or five times a week :)

That would be up until about January of 2011, when we moved to Ohio. We made a trip back down there in December of that year (still had our Cast tickets :P ), and haven't been back since.

*However* - we're making a trip down there in *THREE WEEKS!* This is our very first time staying on property and experiencing things from the "other side"...LOL

Our next trip is planned for late January 2016.

hokies4life
08-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Used to be once a year while I was growing up. Now recently with DH it has been at least twice a year. :cloud9:

IloveJack
08-10-2014, 07:27 PM
My parents always thought of Disney as too expensive while I was growing up, so my first trip was my HS graduation present from them, 16 years ago. Since then, I've been 8 times, but 6 of those have been in the past 9 years that I've been married. I guess that you could say we go about every 18 months now.
If we could, we would go twice a year (at least); once for the F&WF and MNSSHP, and then for whatever reason. We've toyed with the idea of moving down to FL. If we ever do, I'm sure we'd become AP holders and go once a month.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I'd go twice a year. Once for Flower and Garden, once for Food and Wine.

This :mickey:

caryrae
08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
We used to go once a year but last several years we just can't go much anymore. Our last trip was June 2012 but that was only because my parents took us then. I would love to go twice a year but I can only dream.

Terra
08-11-2014, 01:21 PM
We were twice a year visitors for better than a decade and a half. We always went for the marathon, then had a september or october trip.

Over the years, we have soured on the mouse. Where we could once afford to stay deluxe, use the dining plan, and stay 10 days or more at a a time, we continued to have to cut back as we were nickled and dimed into oblivion and felt like the value for the money just wasnt worth it to us. (Who remembers apps, entre, drinks ANzd desert on the dining plan, the same rate on hotels on weekends as during the week, longer "value seasons," and LOS without having to purchase an extra park hopper option?)

We continued to have to cut back going from, deluxe to moderate to value. From dining plan, to paying for table service to mostly counter service, from non expiring passes, to LOS, to paying for park hoppers. Eventually, dollar to enjoyment ratio just wasnt worth it to us anymore.

Couple that with constant techincal glitches, Yeti that doesnt work, reduced monorail hours, refurbs the EXACT same week year after year after year (splash mountain down EVERY marathon weeked for years in a row),Dumbo by any other name (Triceritops Spin or Aladin's Carpets) is still Dumbo, unimaginative new attractions that have little more than cardboard cut-outs, and literally duct tape holding things together.

Throw in FP+ and we have had enough. Its been 2 years since our last trip and we just dont want to spend more of our hard earned money for what we view constant diminishing value.
It's probably my anthropological side, but it is always so interesting to me to read/get various perspectives on the same thing/idea/situation. Because those perspectives can vary so drastically.

I'm sorry that Disney has soured for you :( So would you say that in your opinion, you are 100% done with Disney and moving on completely?

I know for me, in my opinion and family's opinion, we are the opposite. Though there *are* some things where I scratch my head, the vast majority of our WDW experiences are amazing.
Granted, I've never stayed in anything above a moderate [and that was only twice]. I feel extremely lucky to be able to stay in the values and personally we love those the best because of theme-ing.

marlyn
08-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Every 2-3 years is what we do and we stay for 14 days. Every 2 years feels about right to me (with a cruise in the middle to tie me over)