PDA

View Full Version : New Park?

Coach Goofy
02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
In an effort to divert my attention from the seemingly endless FastPass+ threads, let me pose a question/topic to the board.

My wife and I always like to try to get an early reservation at Crystal Palace on the mornings we go to MK. It allows us to cruise around Main Street with nobody around, photo ops, etc. While we were strolling, we came upon a group of new cast member recruits that were on an orientation/training tour. With nothing else to do, we sidled up to the group and just listened. The big nugget that I took out of that was that the leader said that Disney owns enough land inside Disney World to add FOUR more parks.

My question is, what kind of park do you want to see? What kind of rides, themes, etc?

My suggestion is to have a "thrill ride" park. Think, Cedar Point South. Tall/fast Coasters galore! Theme the park in a way that features all of the Disney "villans". These guys don't get much run in the other parks.

Think about a ride themed off of Randall in Monsters that is a roller coaster based off the "doors scene". This park would not be catered to "toddlers" but us older "kids" that still love all things Disney.

Would love to hear some other ideas.

DizneyFreak2002
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
What kind of park? Nothing... No new park... WDW is entirely too big... They cannot handle what they have now... a 5th park will really drag things down... Fix the mess you have now before even thinking about a 5th park...

Itchy
02-03-2014, 03:27 PM
I agree with no new parks as they have enough vacant venue's that need to be reopened and rehabbed.

For my family and I it is enough to cover in a week without adding to the confusion.

Coach Goofy
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Ok, let's take the "Do Nothing" option off the table. The purpose of this thread was to see "new" ideas to add to the Disney experience we already love. If "do nothing" is your answer, please move on. Thanks.

paragon
02-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Build an all out thrill ride park, themed as a classic seaside amusement park, with Disney details. Long gone are the classic seaside amusements, bring something like that. They are losing to Universal here. What is there to do for the 13-20 something in the parks, not a whole lot. Get back your guests, with a thrill park Disney style. NO PRINCESSES.
They have plenty of old school movies to take themes from and build rides.

NewmanFamily6
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
I personally wish they weren't wasting so much time and effort on Avatar:sick: It would have been much cooler to have a Lord of the Rings type area. That could compete with HP better. By the time they open that area no one will remember Avatar:confused:

mickclub1955
02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I personally wish they weren't wasting so much time and effort on Avatar:sick: It would have been much cooler to have a Lord of the Rings type area. That could compete with HP better. By the time they open that area no one will remember Avatar:confused:

They are actually working on some Avatar sequels that should be released around the time this area of AK is being finished. They will make sure we don't forget.

Buttercup
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I would like to see the Beastly Kingdom set up created; maybe not in Animal Kingdom but as its own park?
They would make a killing if they were able to make a Marvel Park and a separate Star Wars Park. I mean, if we're just dreaming here and money is no matter and current park upkeep is already taken care of!

azcavalier
02-04-2014, 09:01 AM
All Star Wars. That franchise is huge. The different lands could be themed around various planets shown in the movies...Hoth, Tattooine, Coruscant, Kashhiik, the Death Star, Endor, etc. I can think of lots of great themes for rides. X-Wing flight simulators, pod races, underwater rides from Episode I, Death Star escapes, Jabba's Palace, that kind of thing.

Dining, on the other hand....

BrerGnat
02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
All Star Wars. That franchise is huge. The different lands could be themed around various planets shown in the movies...Hoth, Tattooine, Coruscant, Kashhiik, the Death Star, Endor, etc. I can think of lots of great themes for rides. X-Wing flight simulators, pod races, underwater rides from Episode I, Death Star escapes, Jabba's Palace, that kind of thing.

Dining, on the other hand....

Agree with this. It would be insanely popular with people coming from around the world to see it.

Gator
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
I've always thought this would be a great option, even before they bought up the franchise. Star Wars Universe would be the biggest draw in the history of themeparks. It would make Harry Potter disappear.

I'm also with the Lord of the Rings idea.I've mentioned that before and then got to hear all about how that will never happen, blah blah blah. If Disney wanted it, if there were enough fan demand, they would buy it and make it. It would be pretty awesome. There could be Rivendale, underground Moria, the Shire, Helm's Deep, Gondor, Mirkwood, and of course Mordor - where the really cool rides would be.

Arielfan98
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
I kind of like the idea of using the Marvel characters and villians for a thrill-ride park. However, Disney would need to be careful that they include some rides for children and people who don't like big thrillers. What grabs me particularly about the rides at Disney besides the theme is the fact that the rides are suitable for everyone most of the time. At Universal I found myself sitting on the bench waiting for everyone because I personally don't like too much thrill in my ride. I can manage something like Rock N' Roller Coaster, but that's about it.

Cinderelley
02-05-2014, 05:13 AM
If they did a Star Wars theme park, I would never get my kids out of it.

BrerGnat
02-05-2014, 10:25 AM
If they did a Star Wars theme park, I would never get my kids out of it.

I would never get my husband out!

Stu29573
02-05-2014, 03:18 PM
They need a park that has all of the old attractions they tore out of the existing parks! Retro-Disney!

tiggerbuddy
02-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I have to agree...

Fix the mess you have now before even thinking about a 5th park... :mickey:

tundramom
02-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Since this is Disney WORLD. How about a park that is the "best of" with attractions from each of their theme parks not represented here.
DL: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Carsland, Indiana Jones Adventure, California Screamin', Tokyo: Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Raging Spirits, Sinbad's Storybook Village, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Paris: Le Voyage de Pinocchio, Le Pays des Contes de Fees, CineMagique, Armageddon: les Effets Speciaux
Hong Kong: Mystic Manor, RC Racer, Slinky Dog Spin, Golden Mickeys Show
plus whatever they have planned for Shanghai.
Personally, I'd love to see all the different Haunted Mansions and Indiana Jone's Rides..if we are just postulating ;)

Coach Goofy
02-06-2014, 12:49 PM
They need a park that has all of the old attractions they tore out of the existing parks! Retro-Disney!

That is a great idea. It would be neat to see all of the vintage stuff that isn't around any more.

I've always thought this would be a great option, even before they bought up the franchise. Star Wars Universe would be the biggest draw in the history of themeparks. It would make Harry Potter disappear.

I'm also with the Lord of the Rings idea.I've mentioned that before and then got to hear all about how that will never happen, blah blah blah. If Disney wanted it, if there were enough fan demand, they would buy it and make it. It would be pretty awesome. There could be Rivendale, underground Moria, the Shire, Helm's Deep, Gondor, Mirkwood, and of course Mordor - where the really cool rides would be.

would LOVE that!!!!! A Star Wars park would be incredible!

Since this is Disney WORLD. How about a park that is the "best of" with attractions from each of their theme parks not represented here.
DL: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Carsland, Indiana Jones Adventure, California Screamin', Tokyo: Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Raging Spirits, Sinbad's Storybook Village, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Paris: Le Voyage de Pinocchio, Le Pays des Contes de Fees, CineMagique, Armageddon: les Effets Speciaux
Hong Kong: Mystic Manor, RC Racer, Slinky Dog Spin, Golden Mickeys Show
plus whatever they have planned for Shanghai.
Personally, I'd love to see all the different Haunted Mansions and Indiana Jone's Rides..if we are just postulating ;)

That would be awesome as well. I know I'll never get to most of the other Disney Parks, so it would be cool to get to experience it.

Fozzy Beer
02-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I think some of you guys have touched on WDW's problems. The major problem is Walt Disney World has become a cog on Disney's wheel. Where Universal has the park and that's it. Disney has the cruise line that they dump boat loads of money into, pun intended. They have a resort in Hawaii and are very big on this Disney Adventure stuff. It would not surprise me if the airline comes in the next 10 years.

I maybe in the minority, but for the money and time it took, the new Fantasy Land was a disappointment besides Be Our Guest. I'm sure the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster won't be awe inspiring. I say that because of the high hopes we had for the Fantasy Land expansion.

With all that said, me and the future Mrs are part of the problem. We'll be doing part of our honeymoon there in April and going back in December. The December trip may have a Universal visit, my first. :beer::beer::

DryCreek
02-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Two great ideas have already been tossed out.

I LOVE the idea of a Retro-Disney Park, all of the rides, parades, characters and themed areas (like the Tahitian Terrace) that we like to reminisce about. (<-can you say Mr. Toads Wild Ride?)

And the other idea as a "Best Of" park. I guess that would pretty much include ALL of Disney Sea, wouldn't it?

Ian
02-08-2014, 10:34 AM

:thumbsup:

yankeesfan123
02-08-2014, 11:05 AM
While the idea of a retro park sounds cool, especially to Disney die-hards, there were reasons that they were replaced.

With the exception of maybe just 20k leagues, rides like Toad, Horizons, penny arcade,Snow White, Sea Cabs, classic Figment, and others were not drawing new visitors to the park in this modern day.

While not all of their replacements have been successes, the evil business side of disney (:thedolls:) couldn't justify keeping them open.

To another point, I think disney has acquired plenty of theme park possibilities with Lucas and Marvel. While I've always hoped for a real life Super Mario land somewhere, I doubt that will ever happen.

joonyer
02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I think a modern, high-tech, state-of-the-art version of 20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea, with live sea life in the water, for instance, would be beyond cool, but I don't think you could build an entire park around this concept. Most of the "old" rides we wish would come back are really old-fashioned ride tech (cars on a track going through a dark room with black-lit cut-outs.). Not the kind of stuff that would attract millions of visitors despite our love of nostalgia. Unless you re-concieve those old rides with completely new state of the art ride tech (think HP& Forbidden Journey), I think the atractiveness of a retro park would be short-lived.

My vote would go for an entire new park based on the Star Wars universe, with all new ride concepts for coasters, thrill rides, simulators, and shows, and photo ops with characters. There's lots of choices for themed areas within that type of park, villains and good guys, and even a princess. But I don't expect too see a new park in WDW in my lifetime, they have too much to do to get the parks they already have back on track and staying ahead of the competition.

Puppy Mom
02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I like the idea of a park of primarily thrill rides. Coasters and scary rides based primarily at the teens and up age group would attract some of the Universal crowd back. This would also give all of the rude and rowdy Brazilians, the high school trip kids, and the older brothers and sisters someplace to go to burn off some energy.

I do not think it needs things for toddlers or tweens. There are enough things for them already.

yankeesfan123
02-08-2014, 01:15 PM
I like the idea of a thrill ride park, especially because I consider myself a part of that core demographic.

However, it goes completely against the fundamental principle behind Disney parks. Walt wanted somewhere for adults to bring their kids that both could enjoy. A theme park aimed at teens and 20 something's wouldn't fit that philosophy.

I don't think Universal started to draw any crowds away from Disney because of their thrill rides. While The Hulk, Spiderman, and The Mummy are awesome, Universal didn't meet (or possibly surpass) Disney's standards until Harry Potter arrived. It's still the theming and the story that attracted visitors to Universal, not thrill rides (IMO).

Puppy Mom
02-09-2014, 09:54 AM
I like the idea of a thrill ride park, especially because I consider myself a part of that core demographic.

However, it goes completely against the fundamental principle behind Disney parks. Walt wanted somewhere for adults to bring their kids that both could enjoy. A theme park aimed at teens and 20 something's wouldn't fit that philosophy. (IMO).

I understand your concern, but disagree. For many families, dragging around bored teenagers is not the happy family togetherness that Walt envisioned. Families are different and their idea of entertainment is different than when Walt was envisioning his park. I think Walt was enough of a visionary to see that his parks would adapt after he was gone.