PDA

View Full Version : how does fastpass plus work?

mom2morgan
02-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry - I know there are already too many posts about fastpass, but I am only picking up bits and pieces of how this new system works - where can I find an explanation? And is there other "new" stuff I need to know about? Last time we went was last September (2012) and it seems like a whole lot has changed since then! (side note - I noticed even booking a resort is WAY more complicated - POR used to have 2 views - now there is a bunch)

faline
02-02-2014, 08:13 PM
If you are staying on Disney property, you will need to go to My Disney Experience to link your reservation and your tickets to your My Disney Experience account. If you don't have an account, you will need to set one up. When the time comes, you'll be prompted to customize your "magic bands" (Check the site often). You can book your dining reservations through your account. When you are 60 days ahead of arrival, you can book your fastpass+ reservations. Once you select the three allowed for any given day, you'll be provided with three suggested options for times. Once you pick the option that meets your needs most closely, you'll be able to customize the reservations further.

When you go on your trip, just show up within the hour allowed for your fastpass+ reservation. You'll scan you magic band as you enter the line and be allowed to proceed.

Good luck!!

CaptSmee
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Fastapass+ is essentially a way to reserve fast passes for the attractions you pick ahead of time, if you are staying on property

Quadstriker
02-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Poorly.

*Ba-dum-bum*

Strmchsr
02-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Poorly.

*Ba-dum-bum*

:ditto:

mom2morgan
02-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I got the gist of it and think it sounds ridiculous. But I wasn't clear on exactly HOW these darn things get booked. And I'm assuming all in one park in one day? Thanks for the info, Faline!
And - is it all the current attractions that have Fastpass - or have they deleted or added any? And I'm guessing this means fastpasses "in real life" are going to be very hard to get?

faline
02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I got the gist of it and think it sounds ridiculous. But I wasn't clear on exactly HOW these darn things get booked. And I'm assuming all in one park in one day? Thanks for the info, Faline!
And - is it all the current attractions that have Fastpass - or have they deleted or added any? And I'm guessing this means fastpasses "in real life" are going to be very hard to get?

They've added a bunch of rides to the fastpass list that didn't 't used to have fastpass such as Spaceship Earth and It's a Small World. You can also fastpass experiences such as character meets & greets and Fantasmic. There have been some reports that day of fastpasses have had very late return times or only availability for rides that have never had lines to begin with like Figment.

Strmchsr
02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Just in case you're staying off property - in that case you can only book your FP+ selections "day of." There are kiosks in the parks (basically CMs with Ipads) where you go to book your selections. The booking in advance is only for on-property guests right now.

frakers
02-06-2014, 06:28 AM
There have been some reports that day of fastpasses have had very late return times or only availability for rides that have never had lines to begin with like Figment.

Yes, does everyone remember there never being a line for Peter Pan until they put a Fastpass on it? Now the line stretches to over an hour for a one minute ride. Fastpass, while good (before the changes) has kept me off that ride for several visits. I just can't justify using my time for it and no way I wait in that line.

HollyB
02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Just in case you're staying off property - in that case you can only book your FP+ selections "day of." There are kiosks in the parks (basically CMs with Ipads) where you go to book your selections. The booking in advance is only for on-property guests right now.

If these are people with Ipads, are they wandering around or is there a specific place to go? We're staying offsite in March, but we will be visiting MK. Is one kiosk area less crowded or are all they all about the same?

faline
02-06-2014, 11:50 AM
If these are people with Ipads, are they wandering around or is there a specific place to go? We're staying offsite in March, but we will be visiting MK. Is one kiosk area less crowded or are all they all about the same?

My understanding is that there are 5 or more kiosk locations in each park. I would suspect that the kiosks closest to the front of the park would be the most crowded as folks are likely to stop the first place they see one as they enter the park. I would guess that the kiosk locations will be located on the park maps for each park. As to crowds, I hear they are quite busy. Keep in mind, you're not just grabbing a fast pass like you used to for one ride, you're trying to select three for rides you want at times you want - both of which might not be available - so the selection process obviously would need to take longer for each person.

Strmchsr
02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
What Linda said is quite true. The lines were long last week and that was with low crowds. Everyone was having to look at their options and think about it, change them around, and then decide. There were 3-5 ipads per kiosk area around the park.

acetate
02-06-2014, 03:41 PM
We were there in December, and that was my main gripe with the whole new system. There was no clear explanation of how it worked. I think Disney really needs to walk people through it somehow. We got conflicting versions everywhere we went on that trip.

DisneyFan1979
02-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if this had been mentioned yet, but when you book a Disney hotel, within a few weeks you'll receive a booklet in the mail with instructions that tell you to go on MyDisneyExperience and a magnet at the back with the dates for each.

SBETigg
02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Yes, does everyone remember there never being a line for Peter Pan until they put a Fastpass on it? Now the line stretches to over an hour for a one minute ride. Fastpass, while good (before the changes) has kept me off that ride for several visits. I just can't justify using my time for it and no way I wait in that line.

Yes, I've always seen lines over 45 minutes for this attraction, even before they added Fastpass. I've only seen it below 20 minutes at slow times and early mornings.