PDA

View Full Version : Touring the parks solo

finaldynasty
02-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I am heading down to the parks the first weekend of F & G on a solo trip for my 40th birthday. Has anyone ever toured the parks solo and do you have any recommendations for how to best tour the parks. I want to plan, but I also am thinking about winging it....:mickey:

tiggerbuddy
02-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I did it for the first time last year...I have to say it was really nice..You can walk at your own pace, stop whenever YOU'RE hungry... etc etc...Plus you can usually get on the rides faster being a party of 1 !!:mickey:

chick20679
02-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I've done the solo thing a couple of times, and while it's obviously different, it's also awesome!! As the previous poster mentioned, you get to stop when YOU want to stop - which is highly underrated, in my opinion!! If you aren't super hungry at lunch, you can just grab a Mickey bar and call it good! You only have to stop for bathroom breaks, when you need them! You can stop and 'smell the roses' so to speak as you desire... anyway, there are tons of bonuses! I hit AK, HS and EP al in one morning one day, because you will not believe how much faster you move when its just you.
I would say have an idea of what you want to get done in each day, and then wing the rest. You'll be surprised at how much you can get done!!

wellsm
02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I just did this at DL and DCA a few weeks ago. I was there for a conference and they had twilight conference passes for like $55 from 4:00 till close (among other options for all day, park hopper, etc.)

I did two days - one at DL and one at DCA. One night they closed at 8 and one night they closed at midnight.

If you know what you are doing - generally where things are, how the park is laid out, etc. - you will be able to move and take advantage of the park so much more efficiently than those with a group. Eat when you want, go where you want.

DL/DCA have one advantage over the WDW parks for the solo park commando - single rider lines. Most of my waits were 5-10 minutes for those lines.

I'd LOVE to do a solo trip one day to WDW - I guess I need to find a conference to go to there. :) I love touring with DW and DD, but it would be interesting just to roll solo.

DonaldDuckUSA
02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Had a great time in EPCOT by myself. DBF and I usually compromise a great deal at Disney and we usually move at a fast pace.

Take the opportunity to do things you wouldn't normally do with your usual company. Also, you have the opportunity to move slower.

Pick table service meals that have bars to sit at. Most bars serve the full menu. This way you can make friends with fellow disney fans, chat with the bartender, or simply not feel awkward. (Not saying you would, but I don't like sitting at a table by myself.)

AND HAVE FUN!

susy the groomer
02-04-2014, 11:14 PM
The best way to see the parks! You meet so many people in line, hear their stories. Plus the freedom of doing only what you want. I do it regularly!

Cinderelley
02-05-2014, 05:10 AM
I plan out which parks on which days according to the intercot guide and where/when I want to eat my table service meals. Other than that, I just wing it as I go.

Some days I've gone park commando. Other days I just take it easy. One day I even spent several hours just checking out the carvings in the tree of life and enjoying the greenery in AK. My camera's memory cards were very full that day. :D Wake up each day and see what you feel like doing.

Speedy1998
02-05-2014, 12:33 PM
When I am doint the parks solo, I do not plan at all. I just play it by ear. Often literally stopping to smell the roses.

Middle of the Map
02-09-2014, 05:51 PM
All previous posters had great ideas for doing a solo tour.

I was a little scared the first time I went alone, but I found myself talking to a lot of different people as I waited in line. A bonus was the single-rider status. I ended up on the front row of Soarin, twice. Woo-hoo!

The only downside was eating by myself. But I did a lot of "people-watching" during that time and that made it more fun.

Enjoy your trip.

disney obsessed
02-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Love it!
I usually wing it.:mickey:

Terra
02-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I've done it quite a bit and LOVE it!!

I usually wing it as well. I have in mind things I want to hit, but nothing concrete solid.

Typically I do things my children [or whatever group you are with] doesn't like/care to do/doesn't have patience for.

I walk slow, take everything in. Get a drink of choice and sit and people watch [the greatest entertainment ever!]

I eat where I don't normally because of my kiddos, take my time! No eating like a T-Rex because I have children beside me on both sides :blush:

I take pictures of things which are "scenic", little details.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time!!!

LVT
02-11-2014, 07:19 AM
It sounds like a good time. I will await your report.:party:

Katzateer
02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I am going in May for my 4th solo trip to flower show at Epcot. Since the addition of the food booths I have not made any dining plans. The food is soooo good at the booths I plan just to snack my way around the world!

When traveling solo I check out the park schedule, decide what parades, fireworks I want to see, then just park hop and go wherever I feel like at the moment. It is nice to not have to plan and go your own pace!

Have a great time!

Gator
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Some days I've gone park commando.

:eek: :funny:

Lindsey
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
I used to go to the parks by myself all the time when I lived in Orlando. I would people watch a lot, and when I spotted someone who was alone I would sometimes approach them and chat. Most of the time they were usually at the park while their spouse was at a business meeting. I even went on rides with other solo visitors. :mickey:

mdricks
02-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Solo trips are a great way to see the parks. I have done a 4-parks-in-one-day comando raid as well as a sitting on the bench out side rose and crown for 3+hours sipping black and tans and watching the world go by day...

My advice would be dont plan anything unless there is a tour you want to take. It is amazing how much of the parks we miss in the hubub of getting Jr. on the next ride.

But the best is eating where you want and when you want. Try something new. Do a movable feast with apps at one place and dessert at another. Go to Kimonos at the Swan and sing Karaoke, you dont know anybody there. Sit with 7 new friends at Oktoberfest ZIggy Zocky! Sit at the bar in Cali Grill or Narcoossees and have dinner with a friendly bartender.

Now you got me thinking of it....time for another solo trip!

:number1:

Cinderelley
02-17-2014, 05:43 AM
:eek: :funny:

:blush: I didn't think of it that way. :haha:

pox24
02-17-2014, 12:19 PM
I play golf there quite often on weekends when my wife works. I drive up Friday night, play all day Sat , then go to Epcot usually in the evening for dinner, rides etc. Sunday is usually golf in the morning and lunch at the Boardwalk befor the drive home. In the summer I play early and go to the parks in the afternoon. Too hot for 36 holes from end of May to early November.:thumbsup: