PDA

View Full Version : Upset with fastpass+ ???

disneygirl0206
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Is anyone upset about being limited to 3 fastpasses a day like I am? I am used to using the fastpasses all day and using at least 6 a day! And you can only choose 1 out of the tier 1 category! During busy season it is just not enough for one day! If you are you need to write to Disney and let them know. ([email protected])This is part of what they replied to me...

Disney will always listen to what our guests want and if there is great enough demand for increasing the amount of Disney's FASTPASS+® selections per day then we will seriously look into raising the limit. There are more guests than just yourself that have mentioned your displeasure with the amount selections you are given, and we will look at the system to make sure we do what is best for our guests.

faline
01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

I have not yet experienced the full effects of the new system. After my experience in December, I don't yet feel I have enough information/experience to figure out how it is/will work. Due to a glitch, I was unable to make any changes to the pre-selected fastpass+ options. The biggest con was that several of our fastpass+ reservations were unneeded -- the ride was a walkon or the standby lines was very short. However, we were still able to use the old fastpass system and we did several times so it's hard to know how we will feel the next time when this is no longer an option. We were traveling with others and could not always make our fastpass+ times "agree" but this was partially the result of the party not wanting to pre-plan so this could have been less of a con than it was. Still, I would expect it to be a bigger deal if meeting up with folks unexpectedly and finding that you could not ride anything together unless you went to the standby lines.

I think it will take me another tip (with the system entirely implemented) before I can get a better sense of the new system. On a reactionary level, I'm not a fan of the new system but I do want to be fair and evaluate carefully.

mom2morgan
01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
I agree with you about the new fastpass system, but I"m surprised that you have been able to use six fastpasses in a day - we've never managed more than 2 or 3 because the return window tend to be too late, or all the ones we want are gone by the time we're allowed to get another.

disneygirl0206
01-29-2014, 07:38 PM
We are an opening til close kind of tourer....so if we get there before 9am and stay til 9pm we definitely use at least 6....at MK at least. I can't imagine standing on hour long lines on vacation because we are only allowed 3!

mickclub1955
01-29-2014, 07:54 PM
We are an opening til close kind of tourer....so if we get there before 9am and stay til 9pm we definitely use at least 6....at MK at least. I can't imagine standing on hour long lines on vacation because we are only allowed 3!

It depends on when you go. We were there two weeks ago and the longest we were in a line was 45 mins. Wait time posted was 30. Other than that we waited no longer than 20 mins. The only thing we had to change was our strategy for tackling the park. We got to ride everything that we wanted to.

chefmickey3
01-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree! We usually travel in the summer and would easily use 6 fp in more than one park per day. I wrote to Disney as well because we aren't taking our yearly trip to DW primarily due to the FP+ rollout. I received a phone call from a Disney rep and she was great to talk to. Unfortunately, I don't see a fix to this one. We are going to DL where it is still old FP and dining ressies don't start until 60 days out. I am having issues waiting because we are so conditioned to DW but now it feels so much more relaxed. I would feel so frustrated trying to plan for a trip this summer and worrying if it was going to do well. The number of fp per day is a big downside to me of the new system.

linedropper
01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
I dont know if you can easily use 6 fp in one day! If you do, you are using them on rides you most likely should not be anyway. We were there in october before they started the tier thing. 3 was fine. Actually it worked perfect.

Steve Hambone MF

JerseyDad
01-30-2014, 12:32 AM
is anyone upset about being limited to 3 fastpasses a day like i am? I am used to using the fastpasses all day and using at least 6 a day! And you can only choose 1 out of the tier 1 category! During busy season it is just not enough for one day! If you are you need to write to disney and let them know. ([email protected])this is part of what they replied to me...

disney will always listen to what our guests want and if there is great enough demand for increasing the amount of disney's fastpass+® selections per day then we will seriously look into raising the limit. There are more guests than just yourself that have mentioned your displeasure with the amount selections you are given, and we will look at the system to make sure we do what is best for our guests.

......you can / will write to them with the most clearly stated reasons for your displeasure / disappointment regarding FP+ .....and ...what they hear can only be described as what Charlie Brown's teacher sounds like: "mwaahp.. mwaaahp...mwaahh ...mwaaaahhh".

......that response looks like a robo-answer.

Goofeygal
01-30-2014, 06:56 AM
I personally love the new FP system. I really like going in getting them and not having to run around froom one end of the park to the other to get a FP then go and do rides and run all over. You are only able to get 3 but if you find a ride that you have a FP for and decide to wait in line to do it due to a low wait time you have the option of going and trading that for a different FP. It just seems like it organizes your day alot better.

Strmchsr
01-30-2014, 07:08 AM
I dont know if you can easily use 6 fp in one day! If you do, you are using them on rides you most likely should not be anyway.

We almost always use 6-7 FP per day. But that's because my kids like to ride some of the big rides like TT or EE multiple times. We just get a new FP as soon as the old one expires. So, it's not hard at all and we never used a FP at a ride where one wasn't need. If the wait was 20 min or less we didn't use FP. 3 is definitely too few.

JerseyDad
01-30-2014, 08:25 AM
We almost always use 6-7 FP per day. But that's because my kids like to ride some of the big rides like TT or EE multiple times. We just get a new FP as soon as the old one expires. So, it's not hard at all and we never used a FP at a ride where one wasn't need. If the wait was 20 min or less we didn't use FP. 3 is definitely too few.

....in my world, a 20 minute wait at WDW is what I consider to be "walk on" ....:D:D

Sylvia
01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
....in my world, a 20 minute wait at WDW is what I consider to be "walk on" ....:D:D

:ditto:

Only in my world, I stretch this to 30 minutes. :blush:

JerseyDad
01-30-2014, 11:37 AM
:ditto:

Only in my world, I stretch this to 30 minutes. :blush:

.....you're generous!!!

.....only time that I can say that 90% of the attractions were truly "walk on" (as in .....ghost town scenario) was when we were there ...and hurricane Irene was threatening the east coast ...and hundreds of flights got canceled.

...it was a bit eerie .....in a fun kinda' way.

AgentC
01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
.....you're generous!!!

.....only time that I can say that 90% of the attractions were truly "walk on" (as in .....ghost town scenario) was when we were there ...and hurricane Irene was threatening the east coast ...and hundreds of flights got canceled.

...it was a bit eerie .....in a fun kinda' way.

I guess I have a low wait tolerance. For me a walk on would be 10 minutes or less.

20-30 is an acceptable wait.
40-60 if the kids beg
And over 60 is no way. If everything is over 60 it's time to go. :D

etibbetts
01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
I haven't been able to try the new FP+ yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it in September. I'm actually excited about it. We use to get 1-2 FP per day, mostly because when we went over, the times didn't work or we didn't want to run across the park just to see if the time worked. In September crowds are low, so it didn't really feel like we needed them. I like that I'll be able to change them on my phone and not run all over the park.

I think FP is horrible to the standby lines though, so I hope they leave it at 3. If people have too many more than the standby lines will be even worse.

emerzmom
01-30-2014, 12:25 PM
I tried the new Fast Pass+ with the 3 limit recently. We did not like it. Especially for park hopping. You can only have FP in one park and I don't like the tier system either. Really limits the rides you can get in. Just adding my opinion to the discussion.
:tink:
Julie

JerseyDad
01-30-2014, 12:39 PM
I haven't been able to try the new FP+ yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it in September. I'm actually excited about it. We use to get 1-2 FP per day, mostly because when we went over, the times didn't work or we didn't want to run across the park just to see if the time worked. In September crowds are low, so it didn't really feel like we needed them. I like that I'll be able to change them on my phone and not run all over the park.

I think FP is horrible to the standby lines though, so I hope they leave it at 3. If people have too many more than the standby lines will be even worse.

....that portion of your comment made me think about something: When we were there in Aug/Sept ....we used the FP+ 'religiously' for the first 5 days of our 10 day trip. And ...it was ...basically a FP ...without the paper ticket. (my impression) There were instances with rides like Space Mtn, Toy Story, Rockin Roller Coaster ...where the FP+ line ...still was a 10 to 15 minute 'journey' through the queue. And the standby lines were ...in my opinion ...still LONG ...and maybe a bit longer (based on previous trip experience).

....when we opted for the standby lines ...it was definitely a bit longer ...and we were there just before free dining kicked in ...and the place was NOT crowded.

...shortly after we left ...the whole change to the GAC to DAS thing was rolled out. And as such ...those with only mobility issues were then directed to the standby lines. I wonder if that is having any impact on the standby lines being reported to be more lengthy?

....it may be that it's a perfect storm of conditions that were created at the same time ...which have led to (as reported by many) longer standby times.

Gator
01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm with you, as are many others. 3 FPs are way too little. Scenario at MK: first we grab Fp at Peter Pan, hit Dumbo and maybe Small World. By then, I can grab another FP, which I do for Jungle Cruise. We then ride Peter Pan, maybe hit Pirates, and use the FP for Jungle Cruise. Then over to grab a FP for Thunder Mtn, we hit Splash Mt, maybe grab lunch while waiting for the FP time, then hit Big Thunder. By now, we've used 3 FPs, and it's only 1:30. So Disney is telling me to stand in line for the rest of the day? I dont' think so, Disney.

After knowing for the last year that we'd be going to WDW the end of this year, I'm definitely leaning towards a trip to Hawaii instead.

Terra
01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I just want the Florida Resident's to get their bands so we can do the FP+ for crying out loud :blush:

The 3 a day would help so much in conjunction with our GAC. Right now as it stands, it's so difficult with the new way they do the GAC for my ASD son to function there now.

joanna71985
01-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Not a big fan of the FP limit. I can easily double that with Legacy FP. Plus, I do not like how you can't park hop with the new system

Kenny1113
01-30-2014, 04:00 PM
I agree we can easily do more than 3 FP per day and per park.
I might be in the minority here but I actually enjoyed hustling from one end of the park... With the exception of Soarin' (and maybe EPCOT) altogether. I enjoyed the little workout of rushing across the park while my family did something different. I found the preselected FP to be worse in bouncing all over the park because we just don't know what wait times are going to be or where we will be at a given moment let alone days ahead. We found ourselves wondering what to do because it wasn't time to ride something yet we were done with everything else in that land.

minnie04
01-30-2014, 04:14 PM
We were never big on FP to begin with, If we got one, we got one, BUT after waiting for about an 1 1/2 hours (or longer) for Sorain in October. You better believe I’m going to get them now. We just used them and walked right through and it was great this past trip. I just booked for March and yes I was surprised to see that we could only pick one big ride in MGM (always and forever) My older son likes TT and rockin rollercoaster The younger one not a fan of either one, But since he was just there I opted TT for the older one and that meant no Toy story. I guess we will make the line for TS if it's not a crazy wait time. For us it has to be a compromise since we are able to go back so often. The other thing that worked out awesome for us was the EMH when the park was open till 3:00am one night we just walked on every single ride in the park at MK. I would consider this if you are staying on property to take advantage of this. If you have kids that can stay up that late. We pretty much had the park to ourselves. Loved it!! Everything with super long lines earlier we did twice if we wanted to. :mickey:

joonyer
01-30-2014, 05:03 PM
In the past, our family of four often used 6-7 FPs in one park per day. Our record is 15 in one day, spread over two parks, of course we stated at rope drop in one park and went to past midnight in the second park. That's a hard day, but we were younger then and park commandos.

But don't worry, Disney will be allowing you to get more than 3 FPs per day again in the near future. Just don't be fooled into thinking you get them for free. You will have to pay for the extras. This new FP+ system is designed to "wean" us off the previous free unlimited FP system, so when they start charging for FPs they won't get as much outrage and pushback from their long-time repeat customers. Most other them parks make you pay for the privilege of bypassing the long lines, and I think Disney has figured out they would like get onto that gravy train, too.

Bruegge
01-30-2014, 09:42 PM
I agree with you about the new fastpass system, but I"m surprised that you have been able to use six fastpasses in a day - we've never managed more than 2 or 3 because the return window tend to be too late, or all the ones we want are gone by the time we're allowed to get another.

I'm in the same boat... How did you do 6 a day???

In the park at 9 get first fp by 9:30 use it or get second at 11:30 then 1:30 pm for 3rd FP

At 3:30 what are you gonna get in a spring/summer day at any park as your 4th FP.

I know people are *****in about "planning too much" but flying all over the park(s) to get the 4th 5th or 6th FP .... seems a little like overwork

Maybe I'm just not good at this.

I'd love to hear examples of 4 or 5 FP scenarios (actual ones you have done) with rides and times.

joonyer
01-30-2014, 10:37 PM
It's been several years, so I don't remember the exact time of day, but here is how we'd do it.
Get to MK at rope drop, head to Frontierland. Immediately ride Splash Mountain, no FP, no waiting. Get off Splash, get a FP (#1) to ride it later, then ride Big Thunder RR, and then to Haunted Mansion and Small World. Head back to ride Splash Mountain again with the FP, then get a FP for BTMRR (#2), ride Haunted Mansion again and then Peter Pan and and Snow White and Pooh, Get a snack and then on our way back to Frontierland we go by Pirates and get a FP (#3) for that (eligible because of time). Then go ride use FP on BTMRR (#2) and then go to Adventure Land, ride Jungle Cruise and see Tiki birds, and the Swiss Family Treehouse, and Aladdin then use FP #3 for Pirates. Eat lunch at Pecos Bills (about 1pm) , while one of us goes ahead to Tomorrowland and gets FPs (#4) for Space Mountain. On the way over ride teacups and Carousel and ride CoP, and the Speedway. DW dosesn't like to ride Space so she goes and gets FPs (#5) for Buzz Lightyear so we can ride it after Space.
(by now it's about 3-3:30 p.m) we do Buzz Lightyear, then get FPs (#6) for Space again. then we'd see Timekeeper (later Monster's Laugh Floor) and Stitch or ride Buzz again via stand-by if the wait wasn't too long. Then get a snack or shop until our Space Mtn FP time. Usually do all this before 5pm. In past years you could get another FP even before using your current one if 2 hours had passed, or as soon as you used your first FP. It was not a slow relaxing stroll through the park, but it wasn't that hard to use 6 or 7 in a day if you had a plan, kept a close eye on your FP times and walked quickly. We were park commandos in those days.

Strmchsr
01-31-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm in the same boat... How did you do 6 a day???

Getting 6 FP in a day really wasn't much work. Most folks only thought about being able to get a FP every 2 hours. The way it worked was you could get a new FP every 2 hours OR when your current one expired/was used. So, if I got a FP time that was only 45 min after I picked it up then I could get a new FP in 45 min, not 2 hours.

Gator
01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
But don't worry, Disney will be allowing you to get more than 3 FPs per day again in the near future. Just don't be fooled into thinking you get them for free. You will have to pay for the extras. This new FP+ system is designed to "wean" us off the previous free unlimited FP system, so when they start charging for FPs they won't get as much outrage and pushback from their long-time repeat customers. Most other them parks make you pay for the privilege of bypassing the long lines, and I think Disney has figured out they would like get onto that gravy train, too.

If that ever happens, you can kiss me and my family goodbye forever. I guess it's not good enough that those with greater means get a bigger and better resort than someone like me. Now I'll get to see them fastpassing all day long while we wait for hours in our lines. That wouldn't be very magical.

Terra
01-31-2014, 01:28 PM
If that ever happens, you can kiss me and my family goodbye forever. I guess it's not good enough that those with greater means get a bigger and better resort than someone like me. Now I'll get to see them fastpassing all day long while we wait for hours in our lines. That wouldn't be very magical.

On that note, I am there with you and agree Gator.

Melanie
01-31-2014, 01:38 PM

I might have very similar thoughts if that comes to be as well. It's one thing to charge from the get-go when a system is introduced (like Universal), but to have offered it for free all these years and then start charging? Woo boy...not good.

minnie04
01-31-2014, 01:47 PM
It's been several years, so I don't remember the exact time of day, but here is how we'd do it.
Get to MK at rope drop, head to Frontierland. Immediately ride Splash Mountain, no FP, no waiting. Get off Splash, get a FP (#1) to ride it later, then ride Big Thunder RR, and then to Haunted Mansion and Small World. Head back to ride Splash Mountain again with the FP, then get a FP for BTMRR (#2), ride Haunted Mansion again and then Peter Pan and and Snow White and Pooh, Get a snack and then on our way back to Frontierland we go by Pirates and get a FP (#3) for that (eligible because of time). Then go ride use FP on BTMRR (#2) and then go to Adventure Land, ride Jungle Cruise and see Tiki birds, and the Swiss Family Treehouse, and Aladdin then use FP #3 for Pirates. Eat lunch at Pecos Bills (about 1pm) , while one of us goes ahead to Tomorrowland and gets FPs (#4) for Space Mountain. On the way over ride teacups and Carousel and ride CoP, and the Speedway. DW dosesn't like to ride Space so she goes and gets FPs (#5) for Buzz Lightyear so we can ride it after Space.
(by now it's about 3-3:30 p.m) we do Buzz Lightyear, then get FPs (#6) for Space again. then we'd see Timekeeper (later Monster's Laugh Floor) and Stitch or ride Buzz again via stand-by if the wait wasn't too long. Then get a snack or shop until our Space Mtn FP time. Usually do all this before 5pm. In past years you could get another FP even before using your current one if 2 hours had passed, or as soon as you used your first FP. It was not a slow relaxing stroll through the park, but it wasn't that hard to use 6 or 7 in a day if you had a plan, kept a close eye on your FP times and walked quickly. We were park commandos in those days.

:jaw: :dizzy: :dizzy: :medic:

JerseyDad
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM

......just got off the phone with NASA .....and their chief engineer confirmed that the Apollo 11 moon launch and landing was less complicated than that.

Altair
01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
:jaw: :dizzy: :dizzy: :medic:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Wow, I got worn out just reading that. :ill:

joonyer
01-31-2014, 02:51 PM
......just got off the phone with NASA .....and their chief engineer confirmed that the Apollo 11 moon launch and landing was less complicated than that.

It sounds more complicated than it is really, and it is admittedly more complicated than just waiting in a stand-by line at every attraction. It does take more effort, but we were willing to do it because:
#1) we didn't like waiting in the long stand-by lines.
#2) we figured out we could ride a lot more attractions if we used the FP system to its maximum advantage, and;
#3) we were full of adrenaline and fueled by the DIsney "magic" so we had the energy to do it.

Like I said, it wasn't a relaxing stroll through the parks, so It's not for everybody (and apparently nobody anymore). But we didn't go to WDW for a relaxing vacation. We go sit on the beach for that kind of trip. I guess our future trips to WDW will force us to relax and wait in the stand-by lines more often, but I'm not really looking forward to that part of our next trip.

joonyer
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
I might have very similar thoughts if that comes to be as well. It's one thing to charge from the get-go when a system is introduced (like Universal), but to have offered it for free all these years and then start charging? Woo boy...not good.

That's why they are going through this transitional stage with the limits and tiers of the FP+ system. It may take a couple of years, but eventually Disney will "succumb" to the demand of their park guests and make more FPs available for a "nominal" fee. ;)

"There's gold in that thar FP+ system, I tell ya, Gold!" I'm just surprised it has taken Disney so long to "discover" it. I know, I know, I'm being way too skeptical. I should imagine that Disney only has the interests of its guests at heart, and not the bottom line. Shame on me.

JerseyDad
01-31-2014, 03:13 PM
That's why they are going through this transitional stage with the limits and tiers of the FP+ system. It may take a couple of years, but eventually Disney will "succumb" to the demand of their park guests and make more FPs available for a "nominal" fee. ;)

"There's gold in that thar FP+ system, I tell ya, Gold!" I'm just surprised it has taken Disney so long to "discover" it. I know, I know, I'm being way too skeptical. I should imagine that Disney only has the interests of its guests at heart, and not the bottom line. Shame on me.

.......might have taken time for Disney to 'discover' a potential source of "gold", but it won't be so long before they start 'mining'. With a $2.5 billion debit on the ledger sheets ....look for some form pay-for-play FP very soon ....perhaps before years end.

RunDMV
02-01-2014, 08:47 AM

This, I agree with with. Disney did not spend 2 billions dollars on this mess just for the magic. They spent 2 billion with the intention of making 6 billion or more.

Main Street Jim
02-01-2014, 12:57 PM
FastPass is/was not designed to allow guests to "walk on"; it was designed so that guests didn't have to wait in 3-hour-long lines, and could go do other things in the park while waiting for their "reserved time". It also helps when the CM at the "merge point" is very good at their job. :thumbsup:

So, we're planning our September trip. I haven't really read up on it yet, but:

Can you get "regular" FastPasses *in addition to* the "FastPass +" attractions? What are the logistics of this if it's possible (two hours between/when current FP window opens)?

mickclub1955
02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Can you get "regular" FastPasses *in addition to* the "FastPass +" attractions? What are the logistics of this if it's possible (two hours between/when current FP window opens)?

Regular(Legacy) fast pass is a thing of the past now. Only FP+ is available now.

Quadstriker
02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Regular(Legacy) fast pass is a thing of the WEST COAST now

:D

And that's where I'll be.

Melanie
02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
:D

And that's where I'll be.

Nice! Me too. We just have to cross our fingers that nothing changes.

Main Street Jim
02-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Regular(Legacy) fast pass is a thing of the past now. Only FP+ is available now.So, as of now, if I'm reading everything correctly:

1) You're *limited* to ONLY three FP's *per day*.

2) You're *limited* to ONLY three FP's *in one park*.

:/

Well that just stinks. #nothappywecantparkhop

JerseyDad
02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
So, as of now, if I'm reading everything correctly:

1) You're *limited* to ONLY three FP's *per day*.

2) You're *limited* to ONLY three FP's *in one park*.

:/

Well that just stinks. #nothappywecantparkhop

....stinks? ......yup!

Hammer
02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
You could still park hop, just can't get FP at the second park. What some people I know are doing is go EMH at one park and getting afternoon FPs at another park. Not something I would do (I don't do early EMH) but could work if you are into early EMH.

JerseyDad
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
You could still park hop, just can't get FP at the second park. What some people I know are doing is go EMH at one park and getting afternoon FPs at another park. Not something I would do (I don't do early EMH) but could work if you are into early EMH.

...that's a viable plan ...that requires 'work' ...again ...if you are into the early EMH's. (I too don't care for the early hours ...unless it's at AK ....because the animals are more active)

.....but what if WDW discontinues EMH's .....because they now decide that everyone now gets their "fair share" of popular rides without having to be at a park very early ...or very late ....because FP+ exists?

.....a theory of mine ..of course ...because it's a cost cutting measure.

Hammer
02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
...that's a viable plan ...that requires 'work' ...again ...if you are into the early EMH's. (I too don't care for the early hours ...unless it's at AK ....because the animals are more active)

.....but what if WDW discontinues EMH's .....because they now decide that everyone now gets their "fair share" of popular rides without having to be at a park very early ...or very late ....because FP+ exists?

.....a theory of mine ..of course ...because it's a cost cutting measure.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. They tried taking away EMH before (remember Character Caravan from about 5-7 years ago?) and it failed miserably. EMH was then brought back.

JerseyDad
02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. They tried taking away EMH before (remember Character Caravan from about 5-7 years ago?) and it failed miserably. EMH was then brought back.

....that's true. But in the corporate world ...5-7 years ...is a lifetime. I'm not sure if anyone has noticed ...but Disney Corp is very much 'in your face' these days with their actions / decisions. Whereas, in the past ...everyone thought WDW / DL were run from a little office in that iconic castle.

....I just have very little 'trust' ....and start out looking at everything with an 'expect the worst' attitude. Then ...on rare occasion when something positive occurs ....I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised.

Aurora
02-04-2014, 02:59 PM

That's what my brother did on his recent trip, BUT since you're also limited by the number of headliners you can get as FPs, he passed by a couple of attractions whose lines were too long for a standby wait (e.g. Test Track late in the afternoon was at two hours, and he has little kids so he couldn't do single-rider line). If he wanted to get a FP for TT he had to visit Epcot another day.

FamilyBand1
02-10-2014, 12:57 AM
I didn't like the idea of fast passes when they arrived what seems like eons ago. Just seemed like a headache for the cast members and would make the standby longer (which it was and it did), but I took eventually took advantage of it. I sandbagged FPs to when the FP lines were empty. I figured it was convenient for me to come back whenever and I was helping them out by coming back when the FP line was empty.
I grimaced when they started enforcing the times a couple of years ago. It's not always possible to make your time with a sleeping toddler and 2 under-10 kids. Didn't stop us from coming nearly once a month and spending thousands a year.

This new FP+ has me rethinking my pass-renewal for the first time in over 20 years though. It seems ridiculous that we can only get 3 FPs, when I like others, was "that dad". I'd Olympic speed-walk ahead of the rest of the family and get the FPs and meet them at another ride, then when another FP was available, I'd get that one. We'd easily get 5-6 a day.

I asked an Epcot cast member how she liked this and how I thought it was nuts that we had to stand in line in the sun (in 85 degree weather in February!) to check-in with her for FPs. I followed my question with "I know you're gonna lie to me and give me a 'Disney" answer." She whimpered and gave me a smile as sweat dripped from her forehead at 10am, and said that "they're in a transitional period" and that she "hopes it will be a better experience for guests and cast members." I felt I almost got a legitimate answer!

Seems odd that in a society of "same-same" Disney, of all places, is choosing now to roll out this "technology". The times of the Disney guest being right, no matter what kind of scene they were making ended a while ago.

Sorry for the rant, but 1-2 more FPs would go a long way in this new system.

yankeesfan123
02-10-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip.

We plan on hitting one park in the morning for a few hours without FP+. Then head back to the resort for some pool time. We have ADRs for around 5pm every night, after which we will hit a second park. Thanks to FP+, we will be guaranteed to ride our favorite attractions at the second park, when it the past, most E ticket rides would have had super long lines and be out of FPs.

We are going for 6 days and plan on hitting HS, MK, and EPCOT for at least two nights each, so the tiering won't kill us. Also, we will be able to re-ride our favorites by hitting some at rope drop and some again after dinner with FP+.

disneynarula
02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Ugh

I just don't see this enhancing my trip at all.

gottaluvtink
02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't like the new system AT ALL! Not only are you limited to three, but in most cases, with the tier system, two of them are useless! We were there Jan. 11through the 18. A fast pass for Fantasmic does absolutely nothing for you! I complained to a cast member, and he agreed, and let us into the VIP seating section. It's definitely not the same as the old system. Too much planning ahead, and having to be on one side of a park then having a fast pass at the other side is just a pain! We have always used more than three. Like others, we are park open to park close.

Dulcee
02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
We've used the system twice now and we're fans. Honestly, I enjoyed not having to run all over the park to gather fast passes. It was also nice to get to a park early, ride on standby lines like we always did with the knowledge that we already had fast passes for our second park later that day.

Another plus was being able to modify times via our phone. There were quite a few times that a paper fast pass would have been wasted because lunch ran long, the bus was late, etc etc. This time we were able to modify and still hop on our ride.

Speedy1998
02-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Just to put this in prespective, I always hated Fastpass. I always felt that it made the lines longer. After, the introduction of fastpass I adapted my touring strategies, so that I still got to ride most of what I wanted to with very little wait. I assume that during my next trip, my touring strategies will begin to change again to maximize the number of attractions I get to experience under the new system.

Having said that, the 3 FP+ limit does not bother me much. I never used more than that in AK or Epcot anyway, and rarely used more than 3 in HS or MK.

What bothers me more is the limit on the number of E-ticket rides. In my opinion those were the only attractions worth getting a fastpass for most of the time (which is part of the reason I never used many).

JerseyDad
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
.....when I keep seeing all these "strategies" about going to a park at rope drop in order to get on the standby lines to do whatever attractions might appeal to you .....because you chose to keep your reserved fast passes for the afternoon or evening visit to a park, it seems that the planning has already been done for you. By that, I mean it's become apparent that it's the only way that you are going to get the maximum return on your investment.

That being said .....can it really be considered to be "your" vacation any longer? If a certain "way" of doing something .....is the only way that it'll work for maximizing your experience .....is it really your way?

....seems to me that the whole Disney / WDW vacation planning "Magic Your Way" tagline .....needs to be changed to "Magic OUR Way".

yankeesfan123
02-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Well, for me, that's always the way I've vacationed (rope drop, pool, dinner and park til close).

However, that is obviously not how everyone travels. And yes, Disney could appear to be pushing a certain style of vacationing on you.

All I know is that if I go to my local park, I stand in line for 40 minutes for every single ****** ride. I've never paid extra for a "flash pass".

If I have to stand in a fun, themed queue to get on an awesome Disney attraction while also maintaining my 3 reserved rides, it still beats everywhere else. Just my opinion.

Terra
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
That being said .....can it really be considered to be "your" vacation any longer? If a certain "way" of doing something .....is the only way that it'll work for maximizing your experience .....is it really your way?

....seems to me that the whole Disney / WDW vacation planning "Magic Your Way" tagline .....needs to be changed to "Magic OUR Way".

But in a way, you still couldn't "choose" your FP return time before so it still wasn't 'all your way'. Yes you could get more.

It's looking at the glass half empty or half full. Yes there are some negatives, limited FP, you have to pick 3. The times *may* interfere with scheduling. Or make the choice to stand in the long lines. [Half empty]

OR

[Half Full] You still get FP. At least it's not done away with all together. You can plan your FP+ first and then your meal times after you have your FP times. If there's a big gap and you find yourself with nothing to do you can go back to the resort and swim. Catch a nice nap, have a cup of coffee...etc, etc. You get some of the best themed fantasy and magic around in the United States.

OR

Just choose to not go to Disney anymore since it's that bad. [The glass is empty :secret:]

Well, for me, that's always the way I've vacationed (rope drop, pool, dinner and park til close).

However, that is obviously not how everyone travels. And yes, Disney could appear to be pushing a certain style of vacationing on you.

All I know is that if I go to my local park, I stand in line for 40 minutes for every single ride. I've never paid extra for a "flash pass".

If I have to stand in a fun, themed queue to get on an awesome Disney attraction while also maintaining my 3 reserved rides, it still beats everywhere else. Just my opinion.

This is my view. I live 20 minutes from Legoland Florida and while it's OK for my kiddos, the water park is OK too. It's cheaper for sure, but it's NO Disney at all and I'm bored to tears while there. And I've been there on days when they "big thrill ride" is 60+ minutes long and I kid you not, 2 minutes. And it's basically as scary as the Barnstormer :blush:

No real cool shops or eateries, mostly outside and hotter than hot.

I'll continue to give my dollars to Disney! :)
And now that as a FL AP holder, my FP+ and my son's disability pass, it makes planning my day with an ASD son much easier!

1DisneyNut
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
But in a way, you still couldn't "choose" your FP return time before so it still wasn't 'all your way'. Yes you could get more.

It's looking at the glass half empty or half full. Yes there are some negatives, limited FP, you have to pick 3. The times *may* interfere with scheduling. Or make the choice to stand in the long lines. [Half empty]

OR

[Half Full] You still get FP. At least it's not done away with all together. You can plan your FP+ first and then your meal times after you have your FP times. If there's a big gap and you find yourself with nothing to do you can go back to the resort and swim. Catch a nice nap, have a cup of coffee...etc, etc. You get some of the best themed fantasy and magic around in the United States.

OR

Just choose to not go to Disney anymore since it's that bad. [The glass is empty :secret:]

I am an Engineer and every time someone gives me the "Glass half empty/Glass half full" analogy, I give them an Engineer response which is "Apparently the glass was designed improperly and has too large a volume requiring a redesign." In this case, the wrong "glass" (FP+) is being used and and needs a redesign.

JerseyDad
02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
I am an Engineer and every time someone gives me the "Glass half empty/Glass half full" analogy, I give them an Engineer response which is "Apparently the glass was designed improperly and has too large a volume requiring a redesign." In this case, the wrong "glass" (FP+) is being used and and needs a redesign.

....engineer here too (civil) :wave: ....and I like the analogy you gave.

....I've always gone with the "GIGO" (garbage in ...garbage out) reply to denote poor results as a result of poor design.

....perhaps they need to put the "dispensers" (Legacy FP machines) back ...so everyone can get a full glass?

....again ...I just feel the "hand" of too much control on my shoulder to plan something that I feel will be enjoyable to my standards.

....granted, my standards are based on what I've done / experienced in my 11 visits over the past 10 years. We didn't have a "way" to do WDW ...other than the 3 or 4 ADR's we make for our 10 day trips. There was no set 'touring plan'. All we planned was what parks ...on what days ...and that was all subject to spur of the moment revisions.

Terra
02-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Again, my advice is don't go then until things go back to your way or the way you like it. While there are things I'm not all "yay way to go Disney", I'm still going to be a glass half full person no matter what someone else thinks ;)

Less lines for me :)

Terra
02-10-2014, 07:47 PM
....e

....granted, my standards are based on what I've done / experienced in my 11 visits over the past 10 years. We didn't have a "way" to do WDW ...other than the 3 or 4 ADR's we make for our 10 day trips. There was no set 'touring plan'. All we planned was what parks ...on what days ...and that was all subject to spur of the moment revisions.

See, I don't see how that has changed any. You can still do all that. Just skip FP. Stand in the lines.

However, that said, I'm a Floridian and can go anytime and am very thankful for that. My view might be different if I could only go once every few years, know what I mean? And then I have to feel the need to get it all in.

Melanie
02-11-2014, 06:53 AM
However, that said, I'm a Floridian and can go anytime and am very thankful for that. My view might be different if I could only go once every few years, know what I mean? And then I have to feel the need to get it all in.

Having been on both sides of this, I can say that's definitely a factor. No doubt about it.

AgentC
02-11-2014, 07:31 AM
See, I don't see how that has changed any. You can still do all that. Just skip FP. Stand in the lines.

Having been on both sides of this, I can say that's definitely a factor. No doubt about it.

Yep,it totally does make a difference. When you go all the time, your visits are very different than when you are on a 1 week vacation. I have had days where I go to the parks and don't ride a single ride. :)

TheVBs
02-11-2014, 07:52 AM
We're in the process of planning a trip right now and, so far, we haven't done anything differently. Of course, at the end of this month, when we're able to book our FP selections, that will be new for us. However, we're not planning on altering the way do things while we're there.

Terra
02-11-2014, 08:19 AM

Yep,it totally does make a difference. When you go all the time, your visits are very different than when you are on a 1 week vacation. I have had days where I go to the parks and don't ride a single ride. :)

There are times I sometimes think it would be exciting to do the once a year or so to have that full effect of "wow we're going to Disney". I never went to WDW before I moved here in 1999. Before that I had done Disney Land quite a few times as a young child and then again a "vacation" when I was 10. But from 10 years old to 28 years old I never really thought about it.

I really am sorry that for some of you it's not making it as magical as it could be or used to be :(
I hope you find a bit of magic in some unexpected places.

Oh yeah, I LOVE going and not riding anything sometimes, just taking in the sites, sounds, etc. My husband still thinks I'm nuts and can't figure out the obsession :blush:

Janmac
02-11-2014, 08:40 AM

This is how we feel tho we rarely go any more than every other year and some times it's three years before we have saved enough.

Perhaps our difference is that we usually use a WDW trip to connect with distant relatives, so the draw is not in attractions but memories.

We're morning people and used to enjoy early EMH altho now we base our park choices on which one doesn't have EMH on a particular day. By 11 we're usually happy with what we've done (usually using no more than 1 FP if any) and are ready for non-park activities.

We have missed being able to use evening FPs for tier 1 attractions (Soarin' particularly) and have been speculating that the FP+ should help with that. We draw the line at 30 minutes wait.

With our next trip scheduled tentatively for fall 2015 maybe we won't do FP at all, if Disney chooses to charge. Unless they want guests to pay for additional tier 1 FPs, still offering the first one free.

Jan

Speedy1998
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM

As an Accountant I will give you the accounting answer:

Redesign cost too much, make this one work.

Terra
02-18-2014, 12:59 PM

LOL. True!

1DisneyNut
02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

LOL sounds familiar!

Then what we end up with is a piece of junk that nobody uses or is so inefficient it costs the company more money to maintain and operate annually than what redesigning would have cost.....gotta love the corporate world.

JerseyDad
02-18-2014, 11:30 PM
....gotta love the corporate world.

....no you don't!!! But ...it is good for an intense belly-laugh quite often!!!

Terra
02-19-2014, 06:13 AM
LOL sounds familiar!

Then what we end up with is a piece of junk that nobody uses or is so inefficient it costs the company more money to maintain and operate annually than what redesigning would have cost.....gotta love the corporate world.

Meh, I don't like the new Disability Pass it greatly hinders my ASD son now. But we make do still. I "make the design work". :blush:

But I do agree, many times the corporate world really is out of touch with the "lower" guy who actually makes the company run [i.e.-we visitors!]

Bass T-bone
02-19-2014, 08:51 AM
So bottom line:

Does this make the wait times shorter?

Terra
02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
So bottom line:

In the FP line? Or Stand-by. Fast Pass for us was about the same. Pretty Speedy. Stand-by lines seemed the same or a little higher.

Aurora
02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
So bottom line:

Bottom line: No.

Middle line: The wait times have been a mess. Inaccurate times on MDE and in front of the lines, sometimes longer lines for FP than standby, etc. When FP+ is working properly, wait times are about the same as they have always been with regular FP.

The happy difference for some people is that they don't have to race to the attraction at rope drop to get a FP; instead, they can make their FP ressies in advance and not have to worry about the rush.

joonyer
02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Keep in mind that any kind of FastPass has no effect on the ride capacity. For instance, Space Mountain, when operating at capacity with both trains running, can put through about 2300 riders per hour. This is assuming that the trains are loading quickly with no delays or malfunctions. No matter how many FastPasses are issued, only 2300 people per hour can ride it. The only question is whether you get to ride it after a shorter wait time than some other people when you have a FP. The more people that get a FP the longer the stand-by wait will be and vice-versa. Only Disney knows for sure how many FP per hour they issue. Unless they are dramatically altering the number of FPs they are issuing now with FP+ (which I don't think is happening) this change will really have no significant affect on overall wait times, FP or stand-by. They may be better able to spread the FP times over the course of a day, which might keep the wait times more consistent, instead of wildly varying throughout the day.

WiltonJohn
02-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Keep in mind that any kind of FastPass has no effect on the ride capacity. For instance, Space Mountain, when operating at capacity with both trains running, can put through about 2300 riders per hour. This is assuming that the trains are loading quickly with no delays or malfunctions. No matter how many FastPasses are issued, only 2300 people per hour can ride it. The only question is whether you get to ride it after a shorter wait time than some other people when you have a FP. The more people that get a FP the longer the stand-by wait will be and vice-versa. Only Disney knows for sure how many FP per hour they issue. Unless they are dramatically altering the number of FPs they are issuing now with FP+ (which I don't think is happening) this change will really have no significant affect on overall wait times, FP or stand-by. They may be better able to spread the FP times over the course of a day, which might keep the wait times more consistent, instead of wildly varying throughout the day.

You cut right to the heart of the whole matter there. Good on ya'. :thumbsup:

best,

.............john

RedHead
03-02-2014, 08:38 AM
A few thoughts on FP+.

I am here at WDW now, the first time in a few years (dang work keeps gerting in the way!), a FL resident and have been countless times since my first trip in 1972.

Due to unforseen circumstances, we didn't even get into MK until after noon, and had dining reservations for less than an hour after our arrival - no time for looking for FP+ info. After lunch with Pooh, we headed for Adventureland....and the first thing we encountered was a temp FP+ station, in shade, well-staffed. While we had our tickets in advance and had tried to do FP+ ahead of time, we were informed that FP+ was still in testing phase, and resort guests had access in advance now, then it would move down to AP holders (and hopefully then FL resident sasonal passes), etc. To me, important words: STILL IN TESTING PHASE. Changes to improve it WILL come!

We got BMTRR and its a small world FP+s for 1 and 2 hours out, respectively. No, you cannot have 2 FP+s within the same window. Yes, our Space Mountain FP+ was for 9:30, but for getting it after 3pm, we considered it fortunate to get one at all, and without running from one end of MK to the other to even see if it was available! We had time to wander, savor, see the new parts of Fantasyland (no, no sign of functioning dwarves!), ride the rides we wanted and more....with very short FP lines, and some moderate standby lines.

I do suggest that at least one member of each party download/use the My Disney Experience app...very helpful for managing FP+s, wait times, character appearances, etc. And, if you use ATT as your carrier, turn on your wifi and use it to save your data plan (No, I do NOT work for them; I just monitor my data usage closely!)

Here is where I really get into trouble. On a number of Disney boards, I see complaints about the number of FP+s available per day/park, tiered structure, and how Disney is ruining their 12FP a day, all E-ticket ride day with this.

What I see is greed and selfishness. When a few people monopolize the "good" FP, what about everyone else? Since resort hotel users, then AP holders have/will have first access, how would a day user or a newbie have a chance to one of those rides without an hour+ wait?

For the local/AP holder (amd I have been one!), the "I can't get 10 E-ticket FP+s to ride every time" - you also get to go to WDW frequently, AND can go in the slower seasons/off days/for an evening when the park is open late and ride many of these rides with little line/wait. The visitor who travels far, comes rarely, or even as a once in a lifetime visit doesn't have that advantage.

Sometimes, it seems like we run through the Parks just for those E-ticket rides as if it's the local carnival, and don't slow down to savor the Disney Experience. Even now, 42 years after my first visit, I'm still finding new experiences that don't involve rides, new things and changes (some good, some not in my opinion.....just whose idea was the Stitch ride?), the shows, the architecture, the landscaping....all a part of the Disney Experience. If all I want is a quick thrill ride, I can go for carnival rides at my local fair or parish festival.

Okay, I know I've upset some folks. Sure, we should be entitled to our money's worth. Everyone has different values and different expectations.

But let's bring it down to common courtesy....I've been tripped over and shoved by those running for their 12th FP, been clipped by the double stroller when Mom is ignoring what is in her path, been hoked at by the gent in the electric scooter because I wasn't going fast enough and need to get out of his way.....this doesn't make for the most Magical Place on Earth.

Let's help by making some Magic for each other and our fellow guests.

:grouphug::grouphug::magic::grouphug:

jaredkari
03-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I too have not used the system yet. But I can see advantages and disadvantages to it. I agree 3 is too few but I can understand with bigger and bigger crowds some FP lines were getting as bad as stand by. I like the idea of getting my day a little planned out in advance and not running from attraction to attraction trying to collect FPs. I REALLY REALLY don't like the one park deal!!! :mad: That almost takes away the benefit of a park hopper! They really need to fix this issue. We are always at opening for one park, go back to our resort about 1 or 2 then at a different park in the evening. WE NEED MULTI PARK FPs!!!!! Please!!

Terra
03-02-2014, 10:48 AM
A few thoughts on FP+.

I am here at WDW now, the first time in a few years (dang work keeps gerting in the way!), a FL resident and have been countless times since my first trip in 1972.

Due to unforseen circumstances, we didn't even get into MK until after noon, and had dining reservations for less than an hour after our arrival - no time for looking for FP+ info. After lunch with Pooh, we headed for Adventureland....and the first thing we encountered was a temp FP+ station, in shade, well-staffed. While we had our tickets in advance and had tried to do FP+ ahead of time, we were informed that FP+ was still in testing phase, and resort guests had access in advance now, then it would move down to AP holders (and hopefully then FL resident sasonal passes), etc. To me, important words: STILL IN TESTING PHASE. Changes to improve it WILL come!

We got BMTRR and its a small world FP+s for 1 and 2 hours out, respectively. No, you cannot have 2 FP+s within the same window. Yes, our Space Mountain FP+ was for 9:30, but for getting it after 3pm, we considered it fortunate to get one at all, and without running from one end of MK to the other to even see if it was available! We had time to wander, savor, see the new parts of Fantasyland (no, no sign of functioning dwarves!), ride the rides we wanted and more....with very short FP lines, and some moderate standby lines.

I do suggest that at least one member of each party download/use the My Disney Experience app...very helpful for managing FP+s, wait times, character appearances, etc. And, if you use ATT as your carrier, turn on your wifi and use it to save your data plan (No, I do NOT work for them; I just monitor my data usage closely!)

Here is where I really get into trouble. On a number of Disney boards, I see complaints about the number of FP+s available per day/park, tiered structure, and how Disney is ruining their 12FP a day, all E-ticket ride day with this.

What I see is greed and selfishness. When a few people monopolize the "good" FP, what about everyone else? Since resort hotel users, then AP holders have/will have first access, how would a day user or a newbie have a chance to one of those rides without an hour+ wait?

For the local/AP holder (amd I have been one!), the "I can't get 10 E-ticket FP+s to ride every time" - you also get to go to WDW frequently, AND can go in the slower seasons/off days/for an evening when the park is open late and ride many of these rides with little line/wait. The visitor who travels far, comes rarely, or even as a once in a lifetime visit doesn't have that advantage.

Sometimes, it seems like we run through the Parks just for those E-ticket rides as if it's the local carnival, and don't slow down to savor the Disney Experience. Even now, 42 years after my first visit, I'm still finding new experiences that don't involve rides, new things and changes (some good, some not in my opinion.....just whose idea was the Stitch ride?), the shows, the architecture, the landscaping....all a part of the Disney Experience. If all I want is a quick thrill ride, I can go for carnival rides at my local fair or parish festival.

Okay, I know I've upset some folks. Sure, we should be entitled to our money's worth. Everyone has different values and different expectations.

But let's bring it down to common courtesy....I've been tripped over and shoved by those running for their 12th FP, been clipped by the double stroller when Mom is ignoring what is in her path, been hoked at by the gent in the electric scooter because I wasn't going fast enough and need to get out of his way.....this doesn't make for the most Magical Place on Earth.

Love your post and agree 100%.

I hope your vacation is more magical than you even expected :)

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 11:27 AM

I really like this comment, and I think it should be strongly presented to Disney. They are supposed to be such a "customer service" oriented company... they are highly praised for the way they train their staff to always put customers first... and yet here, you hit the nail on the head.

They have turned our vacation our way into a controlled vacation THEIR way.

Very well put, and I'm hoping someone opens their eyes at Corporate and realizes it. Might be wishing on a star, but.... ;)

Dsnygirl
03-02-2014, 11:36 AM
A few thoughts on FP+.

I REALLY love this post.

Having just agreed with another post'er who made the comment that Disney has now turned "Magic Your Way" into "Magic Our Way", which I still completely agree with, it was lovely to see this post.

You are probably VERY right that those who have abused the FP system made it more difficult for those who didn't... and this system, with its controls, should help alleviate that and give everyone a more fair chance at riding the "big rides" and not having crazy wait times.

And the observation that so many people spend their days running from FP machine to FP machine is soooo very true... even my DH has been guilty of it, being "that dad" who goes ahead of us to another ride to grab a FP while we go get in line for the safari or a show. We have never abused the system, but we have always been VERY aware of our FP time, and the moment we are within the window for another one, one of us is off and running to grab the next pass. And we are true Disney lovers... we enjoy catching all the small nuances of the parks, soaking in the ambiance... but even for us, some of that has been lost in the frenzy to try to ride RnRC 4 or 5 times in one day, or try to get on TSM more than twice.

There are so many points to your post I agree with, I could go on & on... suffice to say that I think you also hit the nail on the head with this one, and I hope there can be some common ground found between what seem like overly stringent limits on how many FP+ passes can be used per day and the craziness that the old FP system engendered.

Thanks SO much for your post! :)

Sylvia
03-02-2014, 06:39 PM
A few thoughts on FP+.

I typically pass over most threads regarding FP+, but for some reason I read the first posts in this thread and realized they didn't seem to be the "same old thing" and then I came to this post.

Thank you RedHead, for your terrific take on things. I agree with many of your points, especially regarding that everyone has different expectations and that we should make magic for each other and our fellow guests. To me, WDW has always been so much than thrill rides; I've always enjoyed exploring each park, enjoying the live entertainment, the architecture, etc., etc., etc.

Have a wonderful time in WDW, and if you see Cinderella, Goofy and Dopey, tell them hi for me and I'll see them in 2 months. :cloud9:

Cinderelley
03-04-2014, 04:13 AM
My family and I have been to Walt Disney World many times and just looking at the website gets me so aggravated that this will be our last trip.

I have a friend whose family is going for the first time next year. I don't even have the foggiest notion of how to begin to tell them to plan their trip.

yankeesfan123
03-04-2014, 05:33 AM
I've actually found that taking it step by step, instead of looking at it as one huge mess, makes it very easy and simple.

It's a lot easier than visiting a large city and try to plan on which museums, restaurants, tours, shows, etc to see. With MDE, everything is in one place and connected together.

Cinderelley
03-04-2014, 06:51 AM
It's a lot easier than visiting a large city and try to plan on which museums, restaurants, tours, shows, etc to see. With MDE, everything is in one place and connected together.

Not really. If I am visiting a large city, I can call my travel agent and be given all the assistance I need. I don't have to muddle through a poorly designed website by myself to figure out how to get what I want.

Think they can make a Garmin for MDE?

yankeesfan123
03-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Not really. If I am visiting a large city, I can call my travel agent and be given all the assistance I need. I don't have to muddle through a poorly designed website by myself to figure out how to get what I want.

Think they can make a Garmin for MDE?

That's weird. You let your TA decide which restaurants and shows and tours you want to go on?

I think the day of the TA is slowly dying with the expanse of the internet. I don't know anyone under 30 who has ever used a TA, but that might just be a subjective experience.

I research and book all restaurants, tours, shows, etc every time I've busted DC, NYC, Boston, and Vegas. It takes a lot of planning. Then, I end up carrying around a folder with a dozen sheets of paper with all my info and confirmations for each thing I have planned.

But maybe that's just me. I think this is easier.

I can totally see how FP+ is a detriment to some people. But FP+ is only one part of the Next Gen system that overall seems to be working quite well now.

TheVBs
03-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Don't confuse having a TA assist you, with having a TA make all your travel plans for you. :thumbsup: A good example would be Magical Journeys, used by many people here. They don't plan your trip for you, but people obviously greatly appreciate their help in getting their trips booked.

joonyer
03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Don't confuse having a TA assist you, with having a TA make all your travel plans for you. :thumbsup: A good example would be Magical Journeys, used by many people here. They don't plan your trip for you, but people obviously greatly appreciate their help in getting their trips booked.

Right!
A TA can tell you the options, then you decide what you want to do, you tell your TA, and then they handle all the bookings of hotels, restaurant ressies, shows, tours, etc. Some people like to do it that way, especially folks who don't have hours to spend on the internet trying to book everything themselves. I'm surprised there are not more TA companies advertising online already saying: "Let us make your ADR's and FP+ bookings at WDW for you."
It would be a lot easier and I bet a lot of people would pay for the service.

Cinderelley
03-05-2014, 03:23 AM
That's weird. You let your TA decide which restaurants and shows and tours you want to go on?

Let's put it into a more realistic perspective.

I am going to Disney World with 6 other people. Therefore we need two rooms. It is a nightmare for me to figure out how to link dining, fastpasses, etc for everyone.

A couple of years ago, we had a family reunion on a cruise. I booked 5 rooms. We told the travel agent when and where we wanted to eat, sightsee, etc and it was done. Voila!

Guess where our vacation money will be going after we get through this trip . . . or should I say won't be going?

yankeesfan123
03-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Can we all remember that this is still in testing?

I just finished reading in another thread how easy it was for some people to link multiple reservations together so they can all book FP and dining together and be under the same banner.

I have done it myself, but if assume that the "add another reservation" or "invite friends" buttons might be a start?

I think all this difficult "linking" hoopla will become second nature very quickly.

TheVBs
03-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Can we all remember that this is still in testing?

I just finished reading in another thread how easy it was for some people to link multiple reservations together so they can all book FP and dining together and be under the same banner.

I have done it myself, but if assume that the "add another reservation" or "invite friends" buttons might be a start?

I think all this difficult "linking" hoopla will become second nature very quickly.

I agree. This is all new and hopefully not only will people get more used to the process, but Disney will improve it as well.

In the meantime, people are experiencing very genuine frustrations and problems, not all related to just not knowing how to do it, but with bugs in Disney's system. And, they want to express it here.

SueQ
03-05-2014, 08:45 AM
It's only me and my husband going so I'm not linking in a bunch of people but I've found MDE pretty easy to use. I've booked fastpasses and dining reservations. I put in reminders about parades, shows and fireworks. I did not buy our park passes through Disney. I purchased them through my husband's work but was able to link the tickets into MDE.

Don't get me wrong. I totally understand that some people are frustrated and having issues with it. I'm just stating that it all seemed to work ok for me.

disneynarula
03-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Let's put it into a more realistic perspective.

I am going to Disney World with 6 other people. Therefore we need two rooms. It is a nightmare for me to figure out how to link dining, fastpasses, etc for everyone.

A couple of years ago, we had a family reunion on a cruise. I booked 5 rooms. We told the travel agent when and where we wanted to eat, sightsee, etc and it was done. Voila!

Guess where our vacation money will be going after we get through this trip . . . or should I say won't be going?

I feel the same way. Once our youngest is old enough to enjoy the kids clubs we are back to cruising. We are just doing Disney this year since it is so baby friendly. I don't like cruising with a baby.

I am having the same issues with multiple parties.

I have been to many large cities; Berlin, Munich, London, Paris, Vienna, and Rome to name a few, and this is by far the most frustrated I have even been planning a vacation.

It isn't my first time at Disney either. I have taken four trips in the past ten years and countless trips as a child and young adult.

My only saving grace is the information that Terrisue from MJ sent me. I can't say enough nice things about this company. She sent me a ton of information about how to navigate the new system.

VacationDisney
03-05-2014, 10:26 AM
We had issues with my band during our December trip. My husbands band was fine but my band did NOT allow me to use the FP+ option. Thank heavens they still had the room key cards and we were able to use them to get a FP for some of the rides.

We had a terrible experience at the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK. The wait time was 30 minutes so we decided to wait (30 min is our limit). We waited, and waited, and waited. We get to the front of the line and see a cast member with a counting ticker device in his hand. The ratio was 80 to 1. He counted 80 people in the FP line and let ONE party through from the standby line:mad:

Could NOT believe it. The cast member even had to motion to the FP people to hurry up and move along. Not once while the cast member had to "encourage" the FP people to move along did he let ANYONE enter from the standby line. This was the first time in all the years of going to WDW (20+ visits) that we did not have a magical time:(

I think we will notice that with the new system that the standby lines could be very long. I think that rides that, in the past, had little or no long waits will have longer wait times.

We are heading back in September and I certainly hope it's a better experience than it was in December.

I think Disney needs to rethink the new system

DonaldDuckUSA
03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry. Three fast passes is awesome. In some cases, it's most of the park's major attractions.

So you get three for your day in AK. That's EE, Dino, Safari, and then you have to wait for Kali River Rapids and/or another attraction. That's over half your ride experience without major rides.

Same with EPCOT. Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space. Sorry, fans, you may have to wait for Norway (or just time it so you're there in the evening or right when WS opens).

Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror. Rockin Roller Coaster (get them for back to back times!) and Toy Story. I'll do Star Tours and GMR when the crowds clear. I don't even mind waiting in those long lines because again, over half my ride experience was reduced.

MK is the only place where there are so many rides, so you'll have to be really strategic here, but its still not awful. I'll miss the day parade to ride Space Mountain. No one ever said you do all of Disney in one trip.

I get the impression that no one wants to wait in any lines. That's not possible. People are upset about having to over-plan, but most of us are over planners anyway. I was upset at first, but I adapted and now it's no big deal.

If you ask me, a three-limit is good. I think its fair. Families like mine (who absolutely cannot afford to stay on site) won't even be able to book until we get in the parks. I'm glad there will be passes for the rest of us!

Dsnygirl
03-05-2014, 10:54 AM
I think we will notice that with the new system that the standby lines could be very long. I think that rides that, in the past, had little or no long waits will have longer wait times.

I have been hearing this from quite a few people who have been lately... and these are seasoned Disney folk who go the same times every year, so are well aware of wait times.

What I've heard mostly is that standby-lines are MUCH worse now that people are limited to 3 FP+ rides... their guess (and I would agree) is that now people are being forced into standby to ride a favorite more than once (aka only one Tier 1 ride/day... craziness....) or to even get on a secondary favorite that they used to FP easily.

We always were able to FP 5-6 rides/day... and we didn't abuse the system. If we arrived at 9am, we'd score a FP by 9:15 for our #1 ride, and have to wait until maybe 10:30 for a second one. We'd ride, pick up FP#2 and the third was usually available by noon. This was normal for us... by 9pm, we'd have ridden everything we enjoy and usually twice, as we're always willing to do standby if we chose a FP for something else, or if they're gone.

Now, with the new system, people are riding their 3 rides by noon or 1, and waiting for everything else... and standby lines are CRAZY long... or so I'm hearing. It'll be awhile before we go, so I'm hoping the bugs get worked out, or that at least the daily FP+ number gets raised, because otherwise, I'm thinking less and less people are going to pay $95/day to ride 3 favorite rides. You get WAY more bang for your buck almost anywhere else.

(and yes, I realize Disney is not just about the rides - we'd go, just for the ambiance. But we are in the minority on that one - I'm stating a more "generalized" view on the parks/rides with that statement. ;))

yjgirl32
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
We are planning a trip in Sept. There will be 12 of us ranging in age from 5-83. We booked 3 rooms. I had no trouble figuring out how to link our reservations. I was able to make dining reservations and again had no trouble. I will report back in June when I am able to make fastpasses- but so far everything has been very easy to navigate thru.

joonyer
03-05-2014, 12:25 PM
. . . .
We had a terrible experience at the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK. The wait time was 30 minutes so we decided to wait (30 min is our limit). We waited, and waited, and waited. We get to the front of the line and see a cast member with a counting ticker device in his hand. The ratio was 80 to 1. He counted 80 people in the FP line and let ONE party through from the standby line:mad:

I think Disney needs to rethink the new system

This makes we wonder is Disney is issuing more FPs now than they used to, becuase it seems that an 80 to 1 ratio is much higher than it used to be under the old FP system. I'd be curious to know from anyone who has accurate info from CMs or other insiders if the total number of FP+s per ride being issued now is significantly more than it used to be. Or if the ratios vary from ride to ride. I'm assuming that CMs have been given some type of directive on the ratio, and that they are not just allowed to "wing it".

IF there are greater numbers of FP being issued now, and the ratios are this high, then stand-by wait times will be significantly longer than they used to be, given the same park attendance numbers. That's good for the guests on the 3 rides they have a FP for; but bad for all the other attractions they want to experience. Makes we wonder why Disney is doing it this way.

Aurora
03-06-2014, 06:12 PM
This makes we wonder is Disney is issuing more FPs now than they used to, becuase it seems that an 80 to 1 ratio is much higher than it used to be under the old FP system. I'd be curious to know from anyone who has accurate info from CMs or other insiders if the total number of FP+s per ride being issued now is significantly more than it used to be. Or if the ratios vary from ride to ride. I'm assuming that CMs have been given some type of directive on the ratio, and that they are not just allowed to "wing it".

IF there are greater numbers of FP being issued now, and the ratios are this high, then stand-by wait times will be significantly longer than they used to be, given the same park attendance numbers. That's good for the guests on the 3 rides they have a FP for; but bad for all the other attractions they want to experience. Makes we wonder why Disney is doing it this way.

It doesn't sound like that was the case here. If there were more FPs being issued, the CM wouldn't have had to rush people through the FP line because there would have been plenty of people there already, using their FPs. I'm wondering whether people chose Buzz Lightyear as their FP choice because they HAD to make three picks, and then didn't use it because they never had to before. If they chose the 3 p.m. time and didn't bother to show up, then tried to get on the ride later, there goes their FP, plus they're in standby.

In any case, here's another example of lines being manufactured by a flawed system. It makes NO sense not to let in people waiting in standby if FP people haven't reached the entry point yet.