PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Event - Opinions!

Melanie
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
So with the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend this year, they are offering something new - the Welcome Event. Here is the description from the runDisney page:

Thursday, August 28, 2014
5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m.

Kick off your DisneylandŽ Half Marathon Weekend at the Welcome Event featuring Runner's World. The event will include a Question and Answer session with Runner's World experts as well as early entry into the Official runDisney Merchandise area.

The Welcome Event features:

Official Welcome from runDisney

Question and Answer Session and Dynamic Warm-up with Runner's World Experts

Official Welcome to California with a ride on Soarin' Over California

One (1) hour early entry into "Official runDisney Merchandise area" on Thursday, August 28, 2014

runDisney bag which includes a runDisney tech shirt and a Runner's World Magazine

All this can be yours (or could have been yours, it's SOLD OUT) for $89.

Thoughts? For me personally - boo. You guys know I don't have a lot to say negative about runDisney, but this doesn't really sit right with me. If this is their solution to the fiasco that was the Disneyland Half Expo last year, I'm disappointed. I'm not sure that letting folks into the Expo an hour before everyone else is the way to go. Sure hope they restock, because I feel like there will be people who pay for this that aren't there for the right reasons.

ChEAR Squad, this, Pasta in the Park - all things that cost A LOT, but really, what's the value? I'm fully aware that different things take on different importance to different people. That's why I'm asking you all - is this something you'd pay for? Why or why not? Obviously there are plenty who would as it sold out, and runDisney is laughing all the way to the bank.

disneygoofball
01-29-2014, 09:02 PM
My husband and I were just discussing this this morning. I saw the description for the welcome party and thought, "seriously? Why would anyone pay for this?" And then it SOLD OUT! I'm still confused. There's no way I would pay money for what's being offered, let alone the outrageous price they're charging. Apparently a lot of people thought differently and have money to burn. I just don't get it.:confused:

AgentC
01-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm amazed it sold out so fast but I guess I shouldn't be. I wonder how many are eBay/resellers and how many are actual runners.

I was searching for more information yesterday on the Dooney & Bourke purses at the Princess 1/2 to help me decide which to buy. I was shocked to see them listed for preoder on eBay. You can't even get them until 2/20 at the Expo.

Looking at the package as a whole, I suppose maybe if there was a really exclusive speaker that might interest me. The Soarin ride and the bad really don't interest me and it is bad enough to get up early to run or cheer. I am not getting up at 4 to shop. :D

There wasn't anything I wanted that I didn't get at the Marathon Weekend Expo but it does seem to be a constant complaint. I wish they could come up with a system that gave priority to the runners.

cer
01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I think it was a little misleading how it was offered.

You are in a rush anyway to register and then I got down to the bottom of the first page.

Runners World Welcome Event? mark 'yes' or 'no'. The 'no' was already selected so I moved on. Next question, t-shirt size....ok I already answered that but I will select again maybe it was a glitch....well once you re-selected the size, it moved the 'no' on the Welcome Event to 'yes'. The second t-shirt size was for the Welcome Event! So I went back up to the previous question and re-selected the 'no'.

Then I moved on to the next page.

I just seemed kind of sneaky to me. I wonder if some inadvertantly purchased the event...

Did you also notice the welcome event is for the early morning on Thursday - is that right? You have to be REALLY hungry for that one hour of shopping....

Although, at Marathon Weekend we were talking to some people on the bus who said that the Disneyland Half Expo was soooo bad last year that they are not going to go back.

So that is the only reason I can see the draw. Make the experience so bad the previous year, that people will pay for a better experience. So sad, really.

AgentC
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
I think it was a little misleading how it was offered.

You are in a rush anyway to register and then I got down to the bottom of the first page.

Runners World Welcome Event? mark 'yes' or 'no'. The 'no' was already selected so I moved on. Next question, t-shirt size....ok I already answered that but I will select again maybe it was a glitch....well once you re-selected the size, it moved the 'no' on the Welcome Event to 'yes'. The second t-shirt size was for the Welcome Event! So I went back up to the previous question and re-selected the 'no'.

Then I moved on to the next page.

I just seemed kind of sneaky to me. I wonder if some inadvertantly purchased the event...

A few people on the Facebook were saying they knew people who bought it by mistake. After reading your description I can see how it would happen though you would think they would notice they were paying and extra $89.

cer
01-30-2014, 01:12 PM
A few people on the Facebook were saying they knew people who bought it by mistake. After reading your description I can see how it would happen though you would think they would notice they were paying and extra $89.

You would think!

Melanie
01-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Although, at Marathon Weekend we were talking to some people on the bus who said that the Disneyland Half Expo was soooo bad last year that they are not going to go back.

Exactly! It was horrible. We've been doing this a lot of years, and that was by far the most chaotic, terribly laid out Expo we'd ever seen (although we didn't experience Princess Half Expo last year). And we were there at opening and got out quickly. But anyway, that's what I was referring to as well, that I hope they didn't see this new event as a way to capitalize on the mess that was last year's expo. So sad, indeed.

And yes, I saw what Cindy did as well where folks were saying it was accident that they signed up. Yeah, you would think you'd notice, but I can also see folks rushing through to make sure they get registered with how quickly things have been filling up.

For the purses Cindy, I did notice there were some folks who did that last year when they offered the presale of the first marathon pattern (the blue and green one I have). But it's downright gotten out of control with the shoes. I hope they announce major restrictions for this Expo, to be in effect during this Welcome Event.

badkitty
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
What seemed strange to me was the event is early Thursday morning but the expo doesn't open until 2PM. Are they changing the expo start time or handing out early entry vouchers? I was thinking it sold out so fast because the "e-bay shoppers" bought them so they can wipe out the merchandise an hour early. Not sure if this is the answer to the problem last year. Tink was better but merch was still gone on day two when I arrived.

cer
01-30-2014, 08:57 PM
But it's downright gotten out of control with the shoes. I hope they announce major restrictions for this Expo, to be in effect during this Welcome Event.

The shoe thing is very bad.

badkitty
01-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Luckily, I didn't have a bad shoe experience at the WDW Marathon weekend. I went the 2nd day half hour before opening and got in line for the "pre-list". I was about 300 in line that day and was through that in 15 minutes. They estimated my wait time to be served was approx 1.5 hours. I then went off to collect my bib and then to the t-shirt/bag line. I looked around the expo and then about an hour later I received my text. Off to check in and then I was assigned a rep. 15 minutes later I had the Mickey & Minnie shoes. (Both are actually the kids versions since my neutral feet fit into them better than the adult stability shoe. Better fit and half the price!)