PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan vs Tables in Wonderland

faberj
01-27-2014, 08:53 AM
I am wondering what is a better deal. We have our family trip in November and will have annual passes and the tables in wonderland card as we are going to Disney twice this year. I am wondering if the dining plan is worth it or just use the tables in wonderland card. We have a 3 year old DS and we go to lots of character meals as he loves them. This is what I am thinking for our meals so far.

Ohana Dinner (twice DH favorite place)
Ohana Breakfast
Cape May Breakfast
Crystal Palace Breatfast
Chef Mickey's Breakfast and Dinner
Tusker House Breakfast
Hollywood & Vine Play and Dine Breakfast
Garden Grill Dinner
Whispering Canyon Cafe Dinner

Maybe:
50's prime time cafe - lunch/dinner
The Plazza - lunch
Cinderella's Royal Table ??
Kona Cafe late lunch

John
01-27-2014, 09:44 AM
You'll want to listen to the next podcast ;)

faline
01-27-2014, 11:05 AM
When I've tracked what I would have spent out of pocket (for meals that do not "fit in") with the free dining (along with the cost of the package) versus paying out of pocket for my meals using Tables in Wonderland - eating what I wanted and where I wanted, we definitely made out better with Tables in Wonderland. This was based on a party of 2 adults.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Also you should look at AP/DVC discounts. If you are able to use either of these. They will give you 10% at many of the same places as TIW. You need to do the research to see if it will save you money or not. Depends on how many days, how many people and how you all eat. For myself I don't want the DP because I don't eat big meals, small meals and snacks spread out over the day are how I go. Also don't want desert twice a day. TIW I can get for $100 but must spend $500 to break even and if I can get %10 without spending $100 first well what would you do?:mickey:

DizneyRox
01-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Last time I did the math... From order of cheapest to most expensive:

1. TiW
2. Paying OOP
3. Dining Plan

If you eat exactly what's on the dining plan, no more, no less, you might make it a wash, we saved significantly by eating "normal" and using TiW. The same trip using the dining plan would have cost us about $300 more using the dining plan.

We went into the trip with the TiW which means we ordered the way we would normally eat, and then matched up the receipts after the fact. There was a lot not covered by the dining plan we would have paid full price for and there was food we didn't order that would have been covered under the dining plan (meaning we would have paid for it and never eaten it).

I would have considered that trip the equivalent of a deluxe dining plan trip (1TS, 1CS and snack).

The $300 also included the upfront cost of the TiW card.

mozman
01-28-2014, 10:29 AM
If you have the Disney Visa card, it also offers 10% discount to select restaurants. I don't know what the selection is or if there are blackout dates. TIW is implementing new restrictions for 2014. That may work out better, as there's no additional cost to you.

Melanie
01-28-2014, 10:49 AM
TIW is implementing new restrictions for 2014.

What are the new restrictions?

Melanie
01-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I looked up the 10% for Disney Visa dining locations, and while it's not nearly as extensive as the TiW offerings, there are some nice places on here:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge:
Jiko (see restrictions)
Sanaa

Disney's BoardWalk Inn Resort:
ESPN Sports Club
Flying Fish Cafe (see restrictions)
Kouzzina by Cat Cora

Disney's Caribbean Resort:
Shutters at Old Port Royale

Disney's Contemporary Resort:
The Wave

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground:
Trail's End Restaurant

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort:
Citricos
Grand Floridian Café

Disney's Old Key West Resort:
Olivia's Café

Disney's Port Orleans Resort:
Boatwright's Dining Hall

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa:
Turf Club

Disney's Wilderness Lodge:
Artist Point (see restrictions)
Whispering Canyon Café

Disney's Yacht Club Resort:
Captain's Grill

Disney's Hollywood Studios®:
The Hollywood Brown Derby
Hollywood & Vine

Epcot®:
Biergarten Restaurant

Scar
01-28-2014, 11:04 AM
What are the new restrictions?More blackout dates. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=203083)

Melanie
01-28-2014, 11:05 AM
More blackout dates. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=203083)

Centered around holidays, still?

AgentC
01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Centered around holidays, still?

Mainly, they are are the changes that were announced last year but are effective this year.

Victoria & Albert is discontinuing TIW at the end of July and 6 restaurants will have black periods that basically correspond to seasonal pass holder black outs with the exception of May 31- June 20. I still don't understand why those 4 weeks are blacked out.

DizneyRox
01-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Mainly, they are are the changes that were announced last year but are effective this year.

Victoria & Albert is discontinuing TIW at the end of July and 6 restaurants will have black periods that basically correspond to seasonal pass holder black outs with the exception of May 31- June 20. I still don't understand why those 4 weeks are blacked out.
Memorial Day! err Memorial Week! err Memorial Month, yeah that's it! That's the ticket!