PDA

View Full Version : New FP process-my 2 cents....

RavsRuleDisney!
01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Just returned from the World and forgot to add my thoughts on the new FP process in my review - but here u go. Not good, not good at all IMO. Two simple points really that I'm sure have been discussed around here already....One, if u r a park hopper it really restricts you from, you know, park hopping. You would have to use them almost exclusively for your afternoon park because if you use them for your morning park and there are any crowds your afternoon chances of getting much done ride-wise is shaky at best. And Two, the tiered system also kinda *****. We noticed it most at Epcot where 'E-ticket' rides are minimal and our 2 faves of course are TT and Soarin' - which most also know you can't get FP's for both. Uggh.

My DS was actually talking to a CM at our hotel and the FP subject came up. The CM stated they are getting a ton of complaints about the new FP system and rumor has it they are already looking at making changes....not specific about what changes, who exactly "they" are, it was just 1 CM and whenever the word "rumor" comes up....hey, take it with a grain of salt.

Ok, feel better now. ;)

AndrewJackson
01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
I still think they should treat all guests the same, and only allow FPs the day of. The only advantage for on-site guests would be to be able to use their smartphones, and not a kiosk.

Since they are not going to do this, they need to seriously loom at removing the tiers, allow park hopping, and allow for at least 5 per day.

Dulcee
01-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I agree park hopping would be a nice option. We liked the system when we tried it this January but it would be nice to split up the fast passes by park. However, the only park with the tiering effect is EPCOT, my hunch being since there are very few "e" ticket rides they need to control the #s of fast passes available to control lines.

Maleficent's Dad
01-26-2014, 04:57 PM
A quick search online, and you'll find the vast majority of people saying something quite similar to what you've posted.

In fact, the funniest thing I've seen are all the posts on Walt Disney World's official Facebook page - hardly a person in favor of the new FP+. Almost every comment is in opposition to this ridiculous new system.

DizneyRox
01-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Just helped someone book their trip and I've got to say, what a nightmare.

Using the app, it's quite a mess. First pick a park, then the rides, then there are like 4 options. But none of the options are really set, you can change them, but then why pic one of the four options, just just pick the times? Hopefully you remembered when your dining reservations were, because I found no easy way to quickly check them.

Ok, so once that's done, we tried to alter some because they were too close to a dining reservation. We checked the FP+, but then there was only one person listed for the FP+, where did the rest go? Go back, and it said there was 4, go back in, and only 1.

Ok, well, close enough, there were 6 more days to deal with, let's hope they went through. Went to go pick a restaurant, it only listed two people, we had to select 4 each time we searched...

Went back and forth like this for a couple hours, finally we were done... I left and said, you might want call and make sure that went in ok, I wouldn't trust it... Good luck!

Now, I'm not at all impressed with the system... The tiered rides is a bad idea as us the limit. They asked, what do we do if we want to ride xxxxx. I said, wait in line, what if the line is too long? Well that's when it dawned on me... The limit is to get people back shopping! Fastpass was invented because if you're waiting in line, you're not shopping. Well, people started pulling 6 or 7 FASTPASSES a day, and that kept them out of the shops. So, now there's a hard limit, so you either wait, or browse...

Now I get it!

I do see where some people would be happy, once they struggle through this setup part, they have nothing else to do when they are actually there. There no way to get more FASTPASSES, so why worry? The restaurants will be booked solid, so no need to worry about where they want to eat.
Just shop... I really hope they get something worth buying or this is going to backfire big time.

I still don't have a trip planned, after helping with this, I'm certainly in no rush...

JerseyDad
01-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Just helped someone book their trip and I've got to say, what a nightmare.

Using the app, it's quite a mess. First pick a park, then the rides, then there are like 4 options. But none of the options are really set, you can change them, but then why pic one of the four options, just just pick the times? Hopefully you remembered when your dining reservations were, because I found no easy way to quickly check them.

Ok, so once that's done, we tried to alter some because they were too close to a dining reservation. We checked the FP+, but then there was only one person listed for the FP+, where did the rest go? Go back, and it said there was 4, go back in, and only 1.

Ok, well, close enough, there were 6 more days to deal with, let's hope they went through. Went to go pick a restaurant, it only listed two people, we had to select 4 each time we searched...

Went back and forth like this for a couple hours, finally we were done... I left and said, you might want call and make sure that went in ok, I wouldn't trust it... Good luck!

Now, I'm not at all impressed with the system... The tiered rides is a bad idea as us the limit. They asked, what do we do if we want to ride xxxxx. I said, wait in line, what if the line is too long? Well that's when it dawned on me... The limit is to get people back shopping! Fastpass was invented because if you're waiting in line, you're not shopping. Well, people started pulling 6 or 7 FASTPASSES a day, and that kept them out of the shops. So, now there's a hard limit, so you either wait, or browse...

Now I get it!

I do see where some people would be happy, once they struggle through this setup part, they have nothing else to do when they are actually there. There no way to get more FASTPASSES, so why worry? The restaurants will be booked solid, so no need to worry about where they want to eat.
Just shop... I really hope they get something worth buying or this is going to backfire big time.

I still don't have a trip planned, after helping with this, I'm certainly in no rush...

......the light bulb went on ....1 + 1 = 2 .....and ....eureka!! ....the ulterior motive has been found by one more person!! ;)

....actually ...it sounds like you read the WDW / Disney earnings report conference call from last May (2013) ...where the CFO said what you did ...almost verbatim. (.."So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get
more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet. So that's one thing for you guys to think about"....

....and ..."what happens to purchases when they become much more convenient, and you don't spend time queuing up for a transaction, queuing up to get in the park, and you actually have more time to enjoy the entertainment and, subsequently, spend more money doing things that other than standing in line, which, of course, you can't spend any money while you're doing that"...)

...if you're not on line for an attraction, there is more time to spend on gifts, food, souvenirs ...etc. And if you're on a bus / monorail / boat as part of the 'hopping process' ...you can't spend either.

...only part of the equation that might be a problem is that most guests have a budget for "extracurricular spending" ....so the intended results may not get played out as planned.

.....me thinks that in the corporate world of publicly traded companies ...where earnings report conf. call transcripts are public record ...maybe executives should learn what to say ...and what not to say ..or at least ...word their thoughts such that they are not portraying their 'valued guests" ...as ignorant rubes and walking ATM's. That kind of stuff tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth of potential customers.....

PS: now I feel bad for my wife ...I should have given her more props for setting up the trip (FP+ etc) last summer with the new system. She said it was annoying ...and I just kinda' brushed it off ...now I have confirmation that it's not a 1,2,3, operation ....

AndrewJackson
01-26-2014, 08:28 PM
I wonder if this is Disney's answer to overcrowded parks, and to make the parks operate as efficiently as possible.

Here is what I mean. We use to buy 2-day park hoppers, or 3-day non park-hoppers (and we would skip AK).

If we did the 3-day non park-hopper, we would spend the day at the park from rope drop to closing. We would end up with 5-6 FPs at MK, or 3-4 FPs at Epcot and HS. We would be able to do every E ticket ride with little or no wait.

With the new system, we bit the bullet and bought 7-day non park-hoppers. We plan on spending about 1/2 the day at a park each day, mostly because we can only get 3 FP+, and because of the teiring.

If this becomes the norm, Disney can get more folks through the turnstiles each day, basically adding to the capacity of the parks without adding attractions.

Using really basic math, Disney gets 20,000 in the AM and PM at MK, instead of 20,000 all day. In essence, getting 40,000 to buy a ticket.

Just a thought...

JerseyDad
01-26-2014, 08:43 PM
I wonder if this is Disney's answer to overcrowded parks, and to make the parks operate as efficiently as possible.

Here is what I mean. We use to buy 2-day park hoppers, or 3-day non park-hoppers (and we would skip AK).

If we did the 3-day non park-hopper, we would spend the day at the park from rope drop to closing. We would end up with 5-6 FPs at MK, or 3-4 FPs at Epcot and HS. We would be able to do every E ticket ride with little or no wait.

With the new system, we bit the bullet and bought 7-day non park-hoppers. We plan on spending about 1/2 the day at a park each day, mostly because we can only get 3 FP+, and because of the teiring.

If this becomes the norm, Disney can get more folks through the turnstiles each day, basically adding to the capacity of the parks without adding attractions.

Using really basic math, Disney gets 20,000 in the AM and PM at MK, instead of 20,000 all day. In essence, getting 40,000 to buy a ticket.

Just a thought...

......well ....you definitely are correct with the crowd management comments, and though I never really thought of your 'angle' ...it could be a plausible scenario.

dvcmember83
01-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I have to agree that this is probably to get us to buy more. It still is not going to get me to shop more. We do not shop while we are in the parks. We always wait until the last morning of our trip and head to downtown disney to the World of Disney rather than waste our time in the parks shopping. I am there to do rides, not shop! I have not had any experience yet with the new fast pass system. We aren't park hoppers, but we will get a fast pass if we can get one. I really hope this does not put a damper on our upcoming June trip! I really hate the idea of tiered fast passing. The only fast passes that we usually get are for the e-ticket rides.

Strmchsr
01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
While it's certainly good to make your comments here on Intercot, make sure you send a letter to Guest Relations on your thoughts as well. The more feedback they get the more likely they are to make changes.

CaptSmee
01-27-2014, 08:15 AM
I agree park hopping would be a nice option. We liked the system when we tried it this January but it would be nice to split up the fast passes by park. However, the only park with the tiering effect is EPCOT, my hunch being since there are very few "e" ticket rides they need to control the #s of fast passes available to control lines.

Not true...they all but AK have "tiering" now. We are on our last day there right now. I have to say that I enjoy have pre-made FP selections being a resort guest & DO think it should be a benefit of staying in property, but I DO NOT like that I can only make them for 1 park per day. We ended up using them in the afternoon like others have said. It also has completely changed how we visit the parks as well. No more getting up early to dash to TSM or other major attractions, unless we want to ride more than once ;)

MickeysBestPal
01-27-2014, 08:21 AM
the only park with the tiering effect is EPCOT

Not true...they all but AK have "tiering" now.

Epcot and DHS have FP+ "tiering."

MK and DAK do not have FP+ "tiering."

waymickey
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
I think Disney has this all figured out and will get their little mousy hands into your pockets any way they can. They have stats to back up their theory and if they begin sending out emails saying " free dessert with lunch purchase at Pecos Bills" people are going to jump on it. The only thing that will limit their plan is when people realize that they don't need this stuff and that they are getting lead around by a magical band on their wrist. People need to take their vacation back and not be lead around like Pinocchio! I will not spend more on my vaction becasue I can not spend more. My limit is my limit. If lines are too long I will head back to the pool or sit and people watch. Two things that fit in my budget.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Since they are not going to do this, they need to seriously loom at removing the tiers, allow park hopping, and allow for at least 5 per day.

Oh they will, but at a fee. Right now if you want to park hop, you pay a fee for that option, I have no doubt a fee based system will emerge allowing you to gain FP access when you park hop. Not satisfied with just 3 FP per day, guess what, a new package option will allow you to pay and upgrade to a higher level, get the plus option and remove the tier system and ride all you want.

Its coming, don't know when, but if there's money to grab someone will figure out how to do it, this is just the calm before the storm.

joonyer
01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Oh they will, but at a fee. Right now if you want to park hop, you pay a fee for that option, I have no doubt a fee based system will emerge allowing you to gain FP access when you park hop. Not satisfied with just 3 FP per day, guess what, a new package option will allow you to pay and upgrade to a higher level, get the plus option and remove the tier system and ride all you want.

Its coming, don't know when, but if there's money to grab someone will figure out how to do it, this is just the calm before the storm.

Yep. :ditto::exactly:

RavsRuleDisney!
01-27-2014, 11:34 AM
While it's certainly good to make your comments here on Intercot, make sure you send a letter to Guest Relations on your thoughts as well. The more feedback they get the more likely they are to make changes.

Good post Chris and actually - and this is something I rarely do -I did take a few and sent off a comment to Disney. Can't hurt.

MrPeetrie
01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
......the light bulb went on ....1 + 1 = 2 .....and ....eureka!! ....the ulterior motive has been found by one more person!! ;)

....actually ...it sounds like you read the WDW / Disney earnings report conference call from last May (2013) ...where the CFO said what you did ...almost verbatim. (.."So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get
more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet. So that's one thing for you guys to think about"....

....and ..."what happens to purchases when they become much more convenient, and you don't spend time queuing up for a transaction, queuing up to get in the park, and you actually have more time to enjoy the entertainment and, subsequently, spend more money doing things that other than standing in line, which, of course, you can't spend any money while you're doing that"...)

...if you're not on line for an attraction, there is more time to spend on gifts, food, souvenirs ...etc. And if you're on a bus / monorail / boat as part of the 'hopping process' ...you can't spend either.

...only part of the equation that might be a problem is that most guests have a budget for "extracurricular spending" ....so the intended results may not get played out as planned.

.....me thinks that in the corporate world of publicly traded companies ...where earnings report conf. call transcripts are public record ...maybe executives should learn what to say ...and what not to say ..or at least ...word their thoughts such that they are not portraying their 'valued guests" ...as ignorant rubes and walking ATM's. That kind of stuff tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth of potential customers.....

PS: now I feel bad for my wife ...I should have given her more props for setting up the trip (FP+ etc) last summer with the new system. She said it was annoying ...and I just kinda' brushed it off ...now I have confirmation that it's not a 1,2,3, operation ....

I think this is also the driving philosophy behind the dining plan.

I think the Disney execs figure each vacationing family budgets $XX amount of dollars for a trip. Of that budget, maybe 30 percent to 40 percent is for meals, drinks, and snacks. So if you bring $3,000, you might spend $900 - $1,200 on food. I think the execs thought, if they could get you to pay that $1,200 months in advance BEFORE you leave home, you may still bring $3,000 for your trip (or at least close to it). But now, that money would be freed up to spend entirely on merchandise.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against business trying to find a way to separate me from my money -- AS LONG AS I FEEL LIKE I'M GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH!!! The Dining Plan has led to a decline in the overall dining experience. I think FastPass+ may lead to a decline in the overall attraction-riding experience. And that's where I'd be upset.

JerseyDad
01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
I think this is also the driving philosophy behind the dining plan.

I think the Disney execs figure each vacationing family budgets $XX amount of dollars for a trip. Of that budget, maybe 30 percent to 40 percent is for meals, drinks, and snacks. So if you bring $3,000, you might spend $900 - $1,200 on food. I think the execs thought, if they could get you to pay that $1,200 months in advance BEFORE you leave home, you may still bring $3,000 for your trip (or at least close to it). But now, that money would be freed up to spend entirely on merchandise.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against business trying to find a way to separate me from my money -- AS LONG AS I FEEL LIKE I'M GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH!!! The Dining Plan has led to a decline in the overall dining experience. I think FastPass+ may lead to a decline in the overall attraction-riding experience. And that's where I'd be upset.

....I guess that we were not good participants in their 'philosophical plan" ...this past trip!! We were on the MOST strict budget of all of our 11 trips to WDW. We passed on the dining plan (we usually do CS plan if offered ..."free"). We cut our usual TS ADR's from 5 to 2. Though we don't bring "food" with us ...or stock our room (we drive) ...we did bring soda, snacks and plentiful quantities of adult beverages. And ...even though we ate 90% of our meals at counter service venues ...we opted to not purchase a dessert ....anywhere. (amazed how much we would have spent otherwise!!)

...as mentioned ...people have only so much to spend ....and both my wife and I are self-employed ...so we are acutely aware of what money comes in and what needs to go out.

...regarding a decline (in dining experience) I kinda' saw a bit of that in 2012 ...and much more pronounced this past this year. (quality / quantity...etc).

....but ...I'm not sure if FP+ could lead to a decline in the attraction / ride experience ...with regards to maintenance and upkeep? I do know that it may lead to a shortage of new attractions in the near future (disregarding the Avatar thing ...which I have no idea when it's scheduled to open). I had a related conversation with someone on another travel site related to FP+ being a reaction to a shortage of "E-Ticket" attractions. And as soon as I said that, they threw on the Mickey Armor ...and jumped all over me with attacks such as "Do you know HOW much a new attraction could cost!! Maybe $50 million dollars for a new roller-coaster"!!.

....I wouldn't answer him.....because in his world ...any criticism of WDW is an offense punishable by extreme verbal abuse. What I WANTED to say was .."Do you know how many times $50 million ...goes into $2.5 Billion? (cost of the whole MDE+ / FP+ thing).

.....at this time you can only hope "for the best" (for the guest)...whatever that turns out to be .. :confused:

Janmac
01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
.... What I WANTED to say was .."Do you know how many times $50 million ...goes into $2.5 Billion? (cost of the whole MDE+ / FP+ thing).

Good point. Problem seems to be: imagination to come up with new attractions - priceless.

Meaning to say all the good ideas have left town.

Jan

JerseyDad
01-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Good point. Problem seems to be: imagination to come up with new attractions - priceless.

Meaning to say all the good ideas have left town.

Jan

......guess that's why Hollywood seems to be doing remakes of classic ....and not-so-classic movies from the past? The originality and imagination needle has been registering on "E" for quite some time ....across the board.

RunDMV
01-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Of course. Does anyone think WDW spent $2 billion dollars on this just to improve your park experience?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
......guess that's why Hollywood seems to be doing remakes of classic ....and not-so-classic movies from the past? The originality and imagination needle has been registering on "E" for quite some time ....across the board.

Robocop

JerseyDad
01-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Robocop

....yes ...I noticed that too ...and then ...each time that promo hits the TV ....I try to 'un-notice" it.

....wouldn't be surprised to see an add for "Ocean's 23" ...starring Brad Pitt's, Matt Damon's, Andy Garcia's, and Julia Roberts' grand-kids :shake:

....seems like the "Era of Limited Imagination" marches on!! ( ...that's not gonna' be WDW's next 'promotion' ...is it? )

Janmac
01-28-2014, 11:05 AM
.... seems like the "Era of Limited Imagination" marches on!! ( ...that's not gonna' be WDW's next 'promotion' ...is it? )

um . . . Next?

Thought that was last year's promotion.

Jan

Bruegge
01-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I still think they should treat all guests the same, and only allow FPs the day of. The only advantage for on-site guests would be to be able to use their smartphones, and not a kiosk.

I still think that staying onsite deserves more perks... EMH is nice but I hate getting up early on vacation ... on our next trip there are only 2 nightly EMH's are available the whole week we are there.

JerseyDad
01-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Of course. Does anyone think WDW spent $2 billion dollars on this just to improve your park experience?

.....well ...perhaps sooner than later? There are some rapidly spreading rumors on the net that before years end, testing of a system will be rolled out as benefits to Disney Resort Guests (and also for purchase)...for added FP+s. Something like $10 per lower tier and $15 for upper tier ...but still ...you can't 'double' a ride (get a 'free FP+ for Soarin' ...and buy another .....for Soarin' at another time on that day). And those prices are per person per ride!!

....Disney always stated that FP+ was a 'free' benefit ...and if this plays out as many feel it would ...they can still say it's free ...but only the first 3. Which would kind of make it ...'semi-free" (sorry ...but there ain't a darn thing in this world that's really "free")

...and ...I don't think they (Disney) are really worried by potential criticism ...because Universal sells Express Pass for something like $60 above regular ticket price.

DizneyRox
01-28-2014, 03:29 PM
.....well ...perhaps sooner than later? There are some rapidly spreading rumors on the net that before years end, testing of a system will be rolled out as benefits to Disney Resort Guests (and also for purchase)...for added FP+s. Something like $10 per lower tier and $15 for upper tier ...but still ...you can't 'double' a ride (get a 'free FP+ for Soarin' ...and buy another .....for Soarin' at another time on that day). And those prices are per person per ride!!

Yeah, you already linked your tickets, your accommodations and the credit card on file for charging privileges. All you have to do Is swipe your band for these perks. It's easy to do and you'll hardly feel the money coming out of your wallet!

That's some resort perk!

I still think that staying onsite deserves more perks... EMH is nice but I hate getting up early on vacation ... on our next trip there are only 2 nightly EMH's are available the whole week we are there.
When they get rid of EMH all together, it will be a real perk that as a resort guest you can schedule the rides before your trip.

zipadeedoodah
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=JerseyDad;2397396 (sorry ...but there ain't a darn thing in this world that's really "free")

[/QUOTE]

Uh huh....those little mickey stickers CMs give out are free!!

JerseyDad
01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you already linked your tickets, your accommodations and the credit card on file for charging privileges. All you have to do Is swipe your band for these perks. It's easy to do and you'll hardly feel the money coming out of your wallet!

That's some resort perk!

....yes ....that's the inherent 'danger' of credit cards & debit cards linked to the KTTW and now Magic Bands. You never 'see' the money fly out of your wallet....... until you get your end of month statement.

......for that reason, on our last trip ...we actually used cash for many in-park purchases. It helps you keep expenditures in perspective, and ...I was amused by the look on the CM's faces ...when they were handed "real money".

Middle of the Map
01-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm a seasoned WDW visitor, but I have not experienced the new FP system yet.

I don't look forward to making appointments to have fun in the parks. We stopped eating at certain places when they created the ADR system. And now with having to plan the rides ahead of time, it feels more like "work" than play to visit WDW.

It reminds me of a guided tour a friend took while in Egypt some years ago. The tour allowed one hour to "shop in the souks" and then you have one hour to gaze at the Pyramids before the bus took you on to the next attraction. She said she went to Egypt, but never really saw it.

Will that be the way WDW visitors experience the World in the future?