PDA

View Full Version : Tipping in Biergarten

MarkC
01-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Question for everyone. First, we love going to the Biergarten and seldom miss it. It's one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. I know it's expensive and I choose to go there. That is everyone's choice at any restaurant.

My question involves tipping. 4 of us ate there last week and the bill was right at $160. They suggested an 18-20% tip. That would run around $30. I tipped $25, which I still thought was way to much for a buffet. All they did was bring us our cokes and took away the plates.

Thoughts? What is fair for a buffet, especially when the bill is this high? What have others done?

faberj
01-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I believe all Disney dining establishments suggest 18-20% tip, but that is just a suggestion. I would say what you tipped was very genorus. I usually tip 10-15% at buffets. There has been a few times that that I have tipped more but the service was over the top and the extra $$$ was well deserved. :mickey:

VWL Mom
01-26-2014, 04:43 PM
If the server is attentive and on the ball with drinks and keeping the table clean then they deserve the same gratuity as a sit down meal. At a regular sit-down they clear the table once, at a buffet they can be making numerous trips to your table.

Just my two cents.

Maleficent's Dad
01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
This topic comes up every now and again. And it brings in some strong opinions.

I've read everything from tipping nothing (yes, people actually say that at buffets, people don't tip - not something I agree with), to the customary 18-20%.

Most of what I've seen online is that buffet tips are generally in the 10-15% range.

I'm not personally a big buffet fan. At WDW, we use TIW and that gives an automatic tip for us.

Scar
01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Here's the question I would like to ask anyone that has ever worked as a server at both an a la carte restaurant and a buffet...

What say you?

I mean, I'm sure buffet servers work just as hard, but do they serve more guests therefore making more if the % is the same?

JoDisney
01-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Don't forget the buffet at Germany does have entertainment. You are seeing a wonderful show.

DizneyRox
01-26-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm not personally a big buffet fan. At WDW, we use TIW and that gives an automatic tip for us.
The gratuity surcharge on TiW is 18% regardless of a true TS or buffet. I would think they expect 18%...

MNNHFLTX
01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
I think what you tipped was fine. Standard tipping practice used to be 15-20%, for basic to exceptional service. When did society (i.e. Disney) decide that 18% is the minimum?

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-27-2014, 02:31 PM
I consider myself to be a pretty good tipper....I usually tip around 15% on a buffet-I might go a bit higher for exceptional service maybe up to 20%, on regular TS full service I tip between 20 to 25% based on how good the service is, sometimes a bit more.....even with poor service I generally tip 15%, everyone can have a bad day....sometimes I think the servers at the buffet restaurants have extra duties in the kitchen you may not see, a lot of times they bus their own tables.

Going back to your tip, I thought it was appropriate.

PETE FROM NYC
01-27-2014, 08:25 PM
I think what you tipped was fine. Standard tipping practice used to be 15-20%, for basic to exceptional service. When did society (i.e. Disney) decide that 18% is the minimum?

Back in the dark ages, when you could get a meal for $10, a 15% tip was considered adequate. Now that meal prices have skyrocketed, they expect a larger percentage. Why, 15% of a family bill of $50-60, in todays dollars is still enough in my book, and I used to be a bartender.
Simple greed. e.g., they still get the same 0.5% for closing costs when you buy a house. That has not changed in 50 years at least.